Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/15/2021 1:08:11 AM EDT
The wife and I are talking about where we want to move when we retire in a few years.  We like cold weather over hot weather, mountains over plains, good hunting, lower taxes, low crime and the ability to have some land where you don't have to see your neighbors if you don't want to.  We are considering Tennessee, Kentucky, western NC, Western Wyoming, Western Montana, Idaho, Alaska and Maine.  Anyone have any thoughts or inputs that we should consider?  Thanks all.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 1:23:38 AM EDT
[#1]
You'll get extremes anywhere away from the coasts. The differences will be the degree & nature of them (ie. Dry v. humid Summers & rain v. snowy Winters). Also consider what kind of lifestyles these different regions offer. Coastal & lake communities always seem to attract crowds & the price is relatively higher.

Bear in mind that politics is also shifting in a number of formerly red states (eg. MT, ID, AK) as progressive locusts swarm into them s/p wasting their previous host. Gun laws tend to be a good barometer in this regard, but not 100%. Another indicator is population density & distribution. Big, politically overpowering urban centers always ruin otherwise great states.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 6:46:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know how accurate this site is, but here is an overview of retirement tax friendliness: https://smartasset.com/retirement/retirement-taxes

Alaska and Wyoming are very tax friendly according to them.

I lived in Alaska for 5 years, tended bar at Chilkoots.  I've had enough snow and the winters are too long for me, but other than that I love it there.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 2:31:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't know how accurate this site is, but here is an overview of retirement tax friendliness: https://smartasset.com/retirement/retirement-taxes

Alaska and Wyoming are very tax friendly according to them.

I lived in Alaska for 5 years, tended bar at Chilkoots.  I've had enough snow and the winters are too long for me, but other than that I love it there.
View Quote

I spent close to 20 years up in Anchorage and LOVE  the place, but with age and those snowy long and dark winters, it beats you down.  Also, the cost of living is very high, but if you have access to the Army/Air Force commissaries, that’s a huge help!!

“I” was thinking about Florida myself, but New York and New Jersey are now flooding down there, so within a few short years, it will be a Purple State, on its way to being a solid Blue State.  I have to rethink a strategy myself, but I don’t see myself moving out of Washington for several more years.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 5:56:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I spent close to 20 years up in Anchorage and LOVE  the place, but with age and those snowy long and dark winters, it beats you down.  Also, the cost of living is very high, but if you have access to the Army/Air Force commissaries, that’s a huge help!!
View Quote

Heh, I saw Howie Mandell do his bit at PJs on Comedy nights before he became famous.  PJs used to have a late night commercial on TV with Granny saying something like : "PJs is not only a strip joint, but a class strip joint!"
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 9:47:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I retire in 5 years. Me and the wife have decided on East Tennessee. After living in Wa. State all my life it is time to get away. We plan to fly into Nashville next year and drive to the Johnson city, Kingsport area. I just want to set on my porch and relax, and be able to shoot off my back deck. We looked at TX, AZ and ID. But decided to go East.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:04:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I want to live offshore, Id be happy paying slip fees around Ocean Shores, Port Orchard, or Bellingham with the flexibility to sail to the aleutians or south pacific whenever I feel the urge.  If I get stuck living inland, I'll be looking hard at properties with a few acres around Colville Natl Forest.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 10:42:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I looked into SD last year when we were thinking of full time RVing.  That would be my first choice as far as taxes, ease of residency, and gun friendly.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 9:11:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I want to live offshore, Id be happy paying slip fees around Ocean Shores, Port Orchard, or Bellingham with the flexibility to sail to the aleutians or south pacific whenever I feel the urge.  If I get stuck living inland, I'll be looking hard at properties with a few acres around Colville Natl Forest.
View Quote

You are staying?

Wow
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 2:52:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You are staying?

Wow
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are staying?

Wow

Moving to DC in a few months, but Id definitely come back. The cities might suck, but the rest of the state is an outdoorsman's paradise.

My goals...

Living on a Self-Sufficient Sailboat for 10 Years + FULL TOUR
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:00:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Thread relevant to my interests. Ive got another 10-15yrs till retirement if I make it that long.

Was thinking idaho but they'll be blue by then. Im thinking one of the dakotas, but by then everything will be different so.....
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:23:12 PM EDT
[#11]
The older I get, the less interested I am in dealing with the cold and snow in places like Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming for significant portions of the year. Somewhere in the desert southwest might be better.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 6:38:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You'll get extremes anywhere away from the coasts. The differences will be the degree & nature of them (ie. Dry v. humid Summers & rain v. snowy Winters). Also consider what kind of lifestyles these different regions offer. Coastal & lake communities always seem to attract crowds & the price is relatively higher.

Bear in mind that politics is also shifting in a number of formerly red states (eg. MT, ID, AK) as progressive locusts swarm into them s/p wasting their previous host. Gun laws tend to be a good barometer in this regard, but not 100%. Another indicator is population density & distribution. Big, politically overpowering urban centers always ruin otherwise great states.
View Quote

As for Idaho, they voted 61% Trump in 2016 and 67% Trump in 2020.
They have passed more pro gun legislation in the last 5 years than in the previous 25.

I have a retirement property there and without exception every new out of state transplant I have met has been pro gun conservative.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 12:16:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 12:07:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Moving to South Dakota next year.
Can't wait!
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 2:24:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

You'd be wrong about Idaho, it was more red than any other year before last year.

Op, all of your choices sound pretty dead on, you just need to figure out where works best for you guys.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 5:30:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Idaho news has reported time and time again the majority of those moving to ID are conservative.

It's also a fact the ID voted more conservative in 2020 than 2016.

Yep, there are liberals in Boise and around the colleges, but ID isn't going blue anytime soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As for Idaho, they voted 61% Trump in 2016 and 67% Trump in 2020.
They have passed more pro gun legislation in the last 5 years than in the previous 25.

I have a retirement property there and without exception every new out of state transplant I have met has been pro gun conservative.

Idaho news has reported time and time again the majority of those moving to ID are conservative.

It's also a fact the ID voted more conservative in 2020 than 2016.

Yep, there are liberals in Boise and around the colleges, but ID isn't going blue anytime soon.

My family has a 5 acres spot in Idaho ( I will only say its a few mins N/E of Silverwood) ;)

3 more years, and I will be there upgrading the cabin, and shop, or just inside the Montana line somewhere around Stevensville.

I want to be about 8 hours or less back to my current location for family care if anything were to happen.

I have always loved Montana, and my time there, but Idaho is also a very Strong candidate.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 7:02:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

“I” was thinking about Florida myself, but New York and New Jersey are now flooding down there, so within a few short years, it will be a Purple State, on its way to being a solid Blue State.  I have to rethink a strategy myself, but I don’t see myself moving out of Washington for several more years.
View Quote

Red people are moving to Florida, not blue people. DeSantis himself said that the # of registered Republicans is now equal to or greater than the # of registered Democrats in Florida.

People aren’t moving to FL for more government. They’re moving there because of DeSantis.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 10:05:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Joe Biden got a higher percentage of the overall vote in Idaho in 2020 than Hillary Clinton did in 2016.

Idaho has seemed like it has been shifting slightly leftward for decades, mostly because of Ada and Kootenai counties.

At this point I don’t think that the grass is much greener on the that side. But it’s on my list of longer term considerations.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 10:40:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

My family has a 5 acres spot in Idaho ( I will only say its a few mins N/E of Silverwood) ;)

3 more years, and I will be there upgrading the cabin, and shop, or just inside the Montana line somewhere around Stevensville.

I want to be about 8 hours or less back to my current location for family care if anything were to happen.

I have always loved Montana, and my time there, but Idaho is also a very Strong candidate.
View Quote

Moving to Hamilton in a month.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 1:13:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 2:08:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Montana is awesome too, but like ID does have liberal areas around the colleges.
View Quote

It’s more than just around the colleges.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 8:52:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Montana is awesome too, but like ID does have liberal areas around the colleges.

No kidding, I remember when Whitman County was as sold red as could be, hell it flipped so fast there was never any purple, it went straight to dark solid blue.  Colleges are the breeding grounds and in essence ground zero for the change from red to blue.  It seems every year we get more and more useless educated idiots, voting blue, not able to get a job because their degrees are useless, they go to work at some other liberal establishment slowly spreading their blue disease.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 12:30:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, my buddy lives in Miami, he said the Liberals are flooding into Florida, from New York and New Jersey.
He is pretty worried, Florida turning Blue.

Quoted:

Red people are moving to Florida, not blue people. DeSantis himself said that the # of registered Republicans is now equal to or greater than the # of registered Democrats in Florida.

People aren’t moving to FL for more government. They’re moving there because of DeSantis.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/17/2021 2:33:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Well, my buddy lives in Miami, he said the Liberals are flooding into Florida, from New York and New Jersey.

View Quote

Miami and Dade County has been blue forever.  They should be worried if they start buying up small communities in central and northern Florida.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 2:48:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Miami and Dade County has been blue forever.  They should be worried if they start buying up small communities in central and northern Florida.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, it’s not like a handful of heavily populated and ever increasingly liberal counties has ever determined the political course of a state or anything.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 9:24:02 PM EDT
[#26]
He has lived there for last 20 years.
He said this is Way different.
They are FLOODING into the entire coastal part of Florida.
Liberals.
Housing is SKY Rocketing.
Like I said this different and he is pretty worried.
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 12:06:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
He has lived there for last 20 years.
He said this is Way different.
They are FLOODING into the entire coastal part of Florida.
Liberals.
Housing is SKY Rocketing.
Like I said this different and he is pretty worried.
View Quote

I had Miami on my list before I got selected for the DC job, looking back I dont think I could have afforded a house in Miami.  Even Homestead is expensive now, on par with Denver and Seattle.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 7:18:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

So many here just repeat what theve heard.

Statistically Idaho has become more conservative.
2016 they voted 61% Trump
2020 they voted 67% Trump

Idaho ain't turning blue anytime soon .

Montana just voted in a Republican govenor and they have been leaning Dumocrat for decades because of muh farm subsidies.

No one understands Alaska politics.
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 4:33:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Costa Rica
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 9:21:17 AM EDT
[#30]
looks like it's going to happen sooner than I thought, we are currently looking at south central Iowa.....lots of grandkids and now great grand kids there.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 7:43:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Just got back from spending holidays in TX. Have been thinking of wintering there in the hill country and spending the hot months in N. Idaho. Friends and family in TX tell me the real estate prices in the hill country have gone insane.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 2:04:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Just got back from spending holidays in TX. Have been thinking of wintering there in the hill country and spending the hot months in N. Idaho. Friends and family in TX tell me the real estate prices in the hill country have gone insane.
View Quote

Insane by tx standards is tool shed on a postage stamp lot money in w wa
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 6:42:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Finally heading to South Dakota this year, can't wait!
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 7:21:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/4/2022 2:17:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

East or west river?
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 12:50:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Insane by tx standards is tool shed on a postage stamp lot money in w wa
View Quote

Good point. Guess I should see for myself.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:59:21 PM EDT
[#37]
I made the move three years ago.  From Orcas Island to the Memphis area..
Lower cost of living, no state income tax, next door neighbor has 80 acres with his own private runway/occasional rifle range.
Very little snow!
Life is good.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 10:59:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

East or west river?
View Quote

Found an awesome spot, East River.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 2:48:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Found an awesome spot, East River.
View Quote

Nice!  I was just talking to an old work buddy how much I missed my place outside Yankton.  Maybe someday...
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 12:31:19 PM EDT
[#40]
I don’t know if the cold states like ID/MT/WY work once you hit retirement age. It’s much harder to enjoy the outdoors in the cold. And I sure don’t want to move again when I’m even older…

I can see why people do the snowbird thing.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 1:49:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

It hasn't happened, so far.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2022/01/florida-is-turning-red.php

Hoo-boy! The pandemic effect on FL voter registration has been.. jaw-dropping

Since 3/31/20:
+274,503 R
-51,995 D
66/67 counties becoming redder
R's overtake D's for first time in state history@karol @HotlineJosh @guypbenson @MZHemingway @ReyAnthonyFL @Bryce__L @FloridaGOP pic.twitter.com/b8qWzLT8Og

— Tim (@TimDCpolitico) January 4, 2022
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 3:20:31 PM EDT
[#42]
We need Florida to stay Red!
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 7:01:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Please explain with references other than opinion what you think makes Idaho a "Formerly" red state.

In 2016 Idaho voted Trump by 61%, in 2020 Idaho voted Trump by 67.5%.

They have continued to improve gun rights and have passed lots of gun rights legislation as well.

If you are simply going by the opinion that population growth automatically means turning blue you are mistaken at least where Idaho demographics are concerned.

The numbers indicate Idaho is becoming more red not less.

As for Montana and Alaska,  they also seem to be going further right  but they were never as conservative as Idaho.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 8:52:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Joe Biden got a higher percentage of the overall vote in Idaho in 2020 than Hillary Clinton did in 2016.

Idaho has seemed like it has been shifting slightly leftward for decades, mostly because of Ada and Kootenai counties.

At this point I don’t think that the grass is much greener on the that side. But it’s on my list of longer term considerations.
View Quote

I'll take Idaho over Washington hands down any day.

The words " seemed like" are emotional,  not factual.

Idaho is farther right by magnitudes over Washington and just a little bit of real research will prove it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 8:55:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

So has Idaho land prices
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 9:41:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:05:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'll take Idaho over Washington hands down any day.

The words " seemed like" are emotional,  not factual.

Idaho is farther right by magnitudes over Washington and just a little bit of real research will prove it.
View Quote

Way, way, way, way better climate too compared to dreary, soggy, miserable western WA too
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 3:42:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I made the move three years ago.  From Orcas Island to the Memphis area..
Lower cost of living, no state income tax, next door neighbor has 80 acres with his own private runway/occasional rifle range.
Very little snow!
Life is good.
View Quote

That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for!
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 3:46:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Master_Blaster has continually ignored facts, nor does he ever provide any.......

In Nov. 2013, 38.2% of registered voters identified as Republican, while registered Democrats made up 7.6% of voters.
Almost six years later, Republicans now have 50.8% of total registered voters in Idaho, an increase of 12.6%. The number of registered Democrats this year is now at 12.7%, up by 5.1% from 2013.
The number of registered Republicans in Idaho has grown by over 206,000 in the last six years and there are only about 52,000 more registered Democrats in Idaho.
These changes show that the state's population growth is only leading to an increasingly Republican-leaning Idaho.

https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/local/208/verify-no-people-who-move-to-idaho-arent-turning-the-state-liberal/277-c3110644-b43c-44af-9c06-af0f1ad44c12
View Quote

Cite examples of my "continual" ignorance of facts...

You seem to be taking my posts as some kind of affront. I don't want to see ID fall, but normalcy bias isn't a reason to ignore the potential liabilities of the relocation trend. What's the saying? Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results. CA'ians are moving to ID, & I bet they aren't all conservatives. Indisputably, WA hasn't turned out better for it.

Here's some 2019 data:

Idaho was the fastest-growing state in the nation with a population increase of 2.12% from 2019, according to 2020 Census data.

The trend I've been speaking of is a warning. Hopefully a false one, but time will ultimately tell. The 1 really positive trend is the state gubernatorial election spread, which has trended further right over the years, which is great, but things can still change. I don't trust CA'ians to move to ID & not skew the state. Nope. Seen that story played out in WA & OR. They are not to be ignored, I don't care if they smile, or how "nice" they act to your face. That persistent lack of insight is always present in their voting habits.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 4:58:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top