Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2022 9:25:22 PM EDT
Greetings fellow firearms enthusiasts!  I know the rough history of gold in NC, and have a basic idea of where to go.  But where is best?  I've watched a lot of Gold Rush, so I'd like to try a small highbanker or trommel- maybe even a dredge if there's a good place to let me try.  I understand I'll still have to pan, but I don't have any of my own stuff.  I'd like to spend 2 days working, maybe a 3rd day to work my moss.  Coming down from Galax, so... something 3 hours or so away?  Between Winston-Salem and Charlotte?   Close ABNB/Vrbo or whatever, would also be sweet.  What's good?
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 8:00:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Reed Gold Mine

Have you visited the Reed Gold Mine State Park yet?  Good information there and you can practice panning.  I found two flakes last time I was there.

I believe panning is ok in streams in the Uharrie but metal detectors are illegal.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 2:33:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Reed Gold Mine

Have you visited the Reed Gold Mine State Park yet?  Good information there and you can practice panning.  I found two flakes last time I was there.

I believe panning is ok in streams in the Uharrie but metal detectors are illegal.
View Quote

That's definitely the historical epicenter. Went there a bunch as a kid.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top