Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2021 2:32:00 PM EDT
I have a 7 year old that's ready to start shooting, took him a few times when we lived in another state.

I have a membership to Elite but kids have to be 10 to shoot there.

Any ideas where to take a 7 year old?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 2:48:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out the Cove up in Gore, Va
That would be a good place to take him
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 5:27:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Where in VA are you located?
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 6:33:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where in VA are you located?
View Quote

Chantilly area
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:07:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Second The Cove.
You can make a day trip out of it and do some fishing or swimming if the weather is warm enough.
Not make it all about the guns and give him some other fun stuff to do.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 8:23:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Chantilly area
View Quote

Several opportunities an hour down the road in Culpeper.  Check out their 2A Group and get plugged in.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 11:45:14 AM EDT
[#6]
all good suggestions above.

Also, the NRA Range's minimum age limit is 7 years old.

https://nrahqrange.nra.org/faqs/

Can shooters under 18 use The NRA Range?

Shooters under 18 years old must be accompanied by their parent or legal guardian on the first visit to complete the required paperwork and be issued a Range ID card. Once the minor has a Range ID card, they may use The NRA Range under the supervision of anyone 18 and older who also has a range card issued. The minimum age to use the Range is 7 years old and able to comprehend the written range rules.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 11:34:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Join Arlington Fairfax IWLA.

They have a junior air rifle and air pistol program.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:46:56 PM EDT
[#8]
It is closed currently, but there is a sighting-in range here in the Spotsylvania/Stafford/Orange area. It's in the C.F. Phelps Wildlife Management Area. It's only open September to March but it is a decent range and has enough lanes that it's not a bad wait most of the time.

C. F. Phelps Wildlife Management Area in Fauquier County near Sumerduck
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:16:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Join Arlington Fairfax IWLA.

They have a junior air rifle and air pistol program.
View Quote

I was just looking at Izaak Walton.

I'm close to the one in Centerville, is that one better than the one up in Leesburg?
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 3:54:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Well I've never been to the one in Leesburg.  I was a member of the Arlington-Fairfax Chapter in Centreville before I went overseas in 1995 and joined back up in 2002 or 2003 after I came back.

The only downside is that the way the range is currently set up 25 yards is the closest you can set up targets and they don't allow drawing from the holster, except when they run classes or instructor development days.   They are planning on re-doing the range and putting in some short range pistol bays.   I'm not sure if they will allow drawing from the holster in them or not.

IF you want to come out and take a look at the place I'd be happy to show you around.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top