Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2022 3:17:49 PM EDT
I'll be taking my family on a weekend trip to Springfield in the near future.

Where/what areas of town do we look for a hotel? Doesn't need to be fancy, just not in a bad area.

Not sure what we are doing, wife is keeping it a surprise.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 3:23:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 3:54:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm new to the area, and I don't have a specific recommendation, but, Southern Springfield seems to be nicer than the Northern areas.  Maybe too broad of a generalization.  I'm sure someone will know better than I do.
That being said, I have not found Springfield too terrible (especially since I'm carrying concealed).
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 4:44:56 PM EDT
[#3]
While we've not stayed at the one in Springfield in particular.  My family has always had good luck with the Drury Inn. They serve a breakfast and a dinner and adult beverages of you do that kind of thing. The meals are nothing gourmet but it helps with the price of other activities and lunch.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 4:50:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Used to live in Springfield and, prior to moving there, stayed at the DoubleTree a few times:

DoubleTree by Hilton

It's handy to a couple of good restaurants (at least it was 5 years ago): Fire and Ice and Whole Hog Cafe.
Tons of good restaurants in Springfield, MO (City Butcher, Aviary, The Order, Civil Kitche, etc).
It's what we miss most about the town.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 11:31:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I know one place not to stay and that's where 13 meets I-44.  A buddy and I were on the way to Table Rock and stopped into the Casey's.  We had to ask for a key to the bathroom.  The lady working there said they had to keep them locked because the homeless would go in there and she was tired of cleaning feces off the walls.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 7:58:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Any hotel south of Battlefield Road will be GTG.  The north side hotels seem to have daily calls for overdoses or "disturbances" when I listen to the scanner.  Expect bums around the downtown area, although they're less mobile and beggy during this time of year.  Springfield isn't a bad town yet, but being on the I-44 corridor means that it is a stop on the drug (and associated crime) pipeline.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 7:07:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Definitely stay on the south side if possible meaning south of say, Sunshine St. or so, and stay away from the north and west sections of town.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 5:26:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Not sure if too late but there is a Hilton Garden Inn on the SE side that is nice and in a good and convenient area to get just about anywhere pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 3:23:04 AM EDT
[#10]
There’s not a single neighborhood in Springfield that I would fear walking alone at night unarmed.
Zero.
Some areas may be trashier but Springfield just doesn’t have “bad” neighborhoods.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 3:56:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There’s not a single neighborhood in Springfield that I would fear walking alone at night unarmed.
Zero.
Some areas may be trashier but Springfield just doesn’t have “bad” neighborhoods.
View Quote

We live in the same general area, and I disagree with you.  Not  because I think an unarmed person will get robbed, raped, murdered, and robbed, but because there’s a major shift happening in Springfield.  Springfield is on the 44 corridor, the same highway that pushes drugs from the border to Chicago.  There’s serious issues happening in Springfield, and the chief of police has already been caught using statistics to shift the numbers around.

Stay south, you have no problems. Go north of battlefield, especially at night, and you’re a d20 away from problems.

d20 ain’t bad, but there are tons of towns in missourah that are d100.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 6:50:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

We live in the same general area, and I disagree with you.  Not  because I think an unarmed person will get robbed, raped, murdered, and robbed, but because there’s a major shift happening in Springfield.  Springfield is on the 44 corridor, the same highway that pushes drugs from the border to Chicago.  There’s serious issues happening in Springfield, and the chief of police has already been caught using statistics to shift the numbers around.

Stay south, you have no problems. Go north of battlefield, especially at night, and you’re a d20 away from problems.

d20 ain’t bad, but there are tons of towns in missourah that are d100.
View Quote

North of Battlefield? Jesus man, most people don’t usually start fear crying until they are north of Chestnut.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 6:54:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

North of Battlefield? Jesus man, most people don’t usually start fear crying until they are north of Chestnut.
View Quote

I used to be that way until broadcastify
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 9:38:55 AM EDT
[#14]
The south side of Springfield is nicer and has some of the better restaurants.  I would not stay near i44.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:05:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey thanks for all the info!
We made the trip a couple weeks ago. I was going to report, but life got busy.

Wife got us in the holiday in express on Monastery St. Worked out good for us.

It was just a quick getaway weekend for the family that the wife had planned, with the surprise evening activity being the "old school" arcade called 1984.

I had mentioned to her a few years ago how much I missed arcades of the past, and she got this all planned out.

Had a good time, my oldest boy found out he likes pinball machines, and my 3 year old got a kick out of Poll Position. I got to play the Star Wars game that I hadn't played in 35 years. Lol.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 4:03:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Zero.
View Quote

Not sure I would go that far.....there are some pretty shady areas, but you have to be blind not to know that...and an idiot to walk around there at night on your own. The places that come to mind are some of those crummy little "hoods" down along Commercial street, and a few of those sketchy neighborhoods east of chestnut expressway on the south side of town (think Little Italy area).

Link Posted: 3/3/2022 11:07:23 AM EDT
[#17]
When we first moved to Springfield, I stopped at a Dollar General on West Division and asked if they had an ATM.
A customer heard me ask the cashier and laughed, saying "n***a, you in da hood!"
Always thought that was funny because a) I had never been called that before and b) I've seen hoods from NYC to Seattle and Springfield was just like a small town.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 12:32:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 9:26:04 AM EDT
[#19]
If you are not so limited by budget, and want to walk around, stay at the V downtown.  Just be advised there are downtown people out at night.  But the hotel is awesome with good restaurants and bars.  If you are just needing a place sleep at night, the Hilton garden Inn @ farmers park…..you will be driving to your destinations anyhow so might as well get out of town.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 8:49:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Zero.
View Quote

Agreed
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 8:52:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Not sure I would go that far.....there are some pretty shady areas, but you have to be blind not to know that...and an idiot to walk around there at night on your own. The places that come to mind are some of those crummy little "hoods" down along Commercial street, and a few of those sketchy neighborhoods east of chestnut expressway on the south side of town (think Little Italy area).

View Quote

Chestnut runs East/West and isn't on the South side.......If you go all the way east on Chestnut land is $25k/acre.

-Grove
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 8:56:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you are not so limited by budget, and want to walk around, stay at the V downtown.  Just be advised there are downtown people out at night.  But the hotel is awesome with good restaurants and bars.  If you are just needing a place sleep at night, the Hilton garden Inn @ farmers park…..you will be driving to your destinations anyhow so might as well get out of town.
View Quote

I know the brothers that built/own the V. Great guys and it's a nice place.  I have a wealthy friend that comes to Spfld occasionally and he says it's one of the best hotels he's ever stayed in.  They deliver his copy of WSJ to his room every morning and it makes his day.

I've eaten at The Order a few times and their rooftop bar is pretty swank for Springfield.

-Grove
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:59:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Just got back from a week in Springfield. As a family of 5 we dreaded a week in a hotel. We found a very nice AirBnB that was less then $700 for the entire week. Really nice place on southwest side of town.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top