Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2020 10:59:44 PM EDT
I used to go shoot on public land south of Olympia.  Last time I went, signs were posted no shooting with fines by DNR.  My local ranges are closed due to state stay at home order.  Where can I shoot legally?
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 12:49:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Private property, but not official ranges, or National Forest land. And you better know exactly whose land you are on.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 12:58:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Private property, but not official ranges, or National Forest land. And you better know exactly whose land you are on.
View Quote
National forest is closed for shooting, or just closed in general?
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 2:36:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Im a member of NCW gun club,

But its closed down right now.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 4:24:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To align with state and local stay home to save lives measures, trailheads, campgrounds, and day use areas* within the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest will be temporarily closed.

*Day use areas include trailheads, visitor centers, OHV staging areas, viewpoints, boat launches, interpretive sites, and picnic areas.

So areas outside of those listed are still permissible to use. Just have to find an open area with an appropriate backstop. Doable, but definitely a little more difficult on this side of the state with the more rugged geography and denser forests and undergrowth. It wouldn’t surprise me if a DNR officer still hassled you on NF land and demanded that you obey his authority.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 10:34:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

So areas outside of those listed are still permissible to use. Just have to find an open area with an appropriate backstop. Doable, but definitely a little more difficult on this side of the state with the more rugged geography and denser forests and undergrowth. It wouldn’t surprise me if a DNR officer still hassled you on NF land and demanded that you obey his authority.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To align with state and local stay home to save lives measures, trailheads, campgrounds, and day use areas* within the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest will be temporarily closed.

*Day use areas include trailheads, visitor centers, OHV staging areas, viewpoints, boat launches, interpretive sites, and picnic areas.

Yes, not sure why people read that and think the whole NF is closed but I've heard it a dozen times now and it isn't.

I went up to the Oly NF on friday to function check three handguns.  I saw a NF SUV driving around, but he didn't even make eye contact with me.  The sad part is the pit I was using was trashed, as were several other small spots along the road.    I'm really getting sick of the a**holes trashing every spot.  

I seriously doubt any DNR officer is going to bother you- they know the boundaries better than anyone else.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Yea DNR isnt going to troll the NF for people shooting. This place is starting to sound like r/guns_wa.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 1:49:18 PM EDT
[#7]
What about ranges in Eastern Washington that provide training to law-enforcement agencies? Are those still open? And do they allow daily shooting passes?
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 7:39:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Most law enforcement agencies are stepping training back to qualifications only during all this.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 7:54:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yea DNR isnt going to troll the NF for people shooting. This place is starting to sound like r/guns_wa.
View Quote

Not like they are going to go miles out of their way onto NF land.

More like with the patchwork of private, state and federal land ownership it is not uncommon for them to traverse properties other than state owned land.

Kind of like how a state patrolman will still enforce traffic laws and issue citations on city streets and county roads.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:50:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Most law enforcement agencies are stepping training back to qualifications only during all this.
View Quote

Or for the foreseeable future due to slashed budgets.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 7:08:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

May not even do that this year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top