Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2021 12:22:19 PM EDT
I got the engagement ring back from my soon to be ex-wife in the divorce. Looking for some brick and mortar places in NoVa to try and sell it and recoup some of the money she's cost me.

Tried online with Worthy and they're a bunch of scammers for lack of a better term.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 1:42:06 PM EDT
[#1]
You will get pennies on the dollar if that trying to sell it to a brick and mortar jewelry store.

The best one I know of is to find a pawn shop that has stuff or guns you like and do some trading.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 1:46:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I need to buy one, whats it look like?
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 2:10:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You will get pennies on the dollar if that trying to sell it to a brick and mortar jewelry store.

The best one I know of is to find a pawn shop that has stuff or guns you like and do some trading.
View Quote

Pawn shops are often not all that much better.

I would try and sell it myself.

The diamond on the ring is 'investment grade.'

IF or F, D or better color, (or a 'fancy' in a desirable color), ideal cut, >1 carat.
Scarcity equals value.
And certified by one of the grading labs.

Prices back in 2007 around $10,000.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sadly this.  You almost certainly will not get close to what you paid.  25% would not be unusual.

You could go to a place like Dominion Jewelers, where they have loose diamonds, and see if they are interested.  I went there years ago when I was shopping for a ring and the salesperson showed me a pile of loose stones.  They also have actual jewelers on premise, so perhaps they have folks who are GIA trained.  At the very least, they can give you an honest appraisal.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 3:31:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies.

Stone was an heirloom stone from my side of the family, so my cost was in the setting.

I fully expect not to get anywhere near what it appraised for when I had it made in 2014 which was $11k. Worthy offered under $600 though

White gold, 1ct center stone, flanked by two smaller 1/8ct stones on the sides. I figured $600 was a little low.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 3:36:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm seriously interested, sounds classy.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 5:23:01 PM EDT
[#7]
If you want to get any decent amount, you need to do a private sale just like anything else. I finally got rid of my wedding band last year. I just went to a local pawn shop and had them look at it. Didn't bother shopping around as I knew the price differences wouldn't be much if anything. I think I got a little over $100, no where near what I paid for it, but I didn't go in expecting anything more than slightly less than the cost of gold.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 7:05:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I too have a few rings I need to get rid someday. I didn't go as far as getting married though. Avoided tying up more money in them by offering her one of my motorcycles too in lieu of a more expensive ring.  Never even got around to transferring ownership of it and eventually sold it.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/19/2021 3:21:57 PM EDT
[#9]
This place spends money on advertisement, haven't personally used them, qualifies for being in NoVA.  https://www.watchandjewelryexchange.com/
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 10:32:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Congratulations on getting a divorce.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 8:25:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.

Stone was an heirloom stone from my side of the family, so my cost was in the setting.

I fully expect not to get anywhere near what it appraised for when I had it made in 2014 which was $11k. Worthy offered under $600 though

White gold, 1ct center stone, flanked by two smaller 1/8ct stones on the sides. I figured $600 was a little low.
View Quote

Beyond “spot” for the Gold, diamonds are worth next to nothing “used”. The value in diamonds does not go both directions.

Your best bet may be to sell to another sap looking to fuck up his life by getting married. Sorry if that seems jaded.

If the stones were heirlooms, maybe have the piece re-worked into something for yourself. I was once trekking in the Himalayas with a guy who had his wedding ring turned into a bezel for a silver Dollar he was given by his Grandfather. He wore it to remind him that life is supposed to be hard work and that a ring is just another name for a chain link.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top