Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 2/15/2020 10:30:46 PM EDT
Looking to SBR an AK. Any place in Iowa to do the NFA serializing?
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 6:26:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Tagging for info, going to do an SBS project soon
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 9:59:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I had Philips Diamond Shop in Marion engrave my krink and mp5. Came out good enough and the price was cheap. They use a fiber laser.

Link Posted: 2/19/2020 3:06:50 AM EDT
[#3]
If you don't mind saying, what was the price? Just trying to gauge budget.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 7:38:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Cheap I got two done for around $40. Call them and ask.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks. I think there's a guy up by me that does it, but I haven't called him yet. I'd rather call closer to the date (after the stamp comes) so he's got less time to reconsider if he's on the fence about guns.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 11:34:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Awards N Time in New Hampton will do engraving, I need to talk to them myself on engraving for my 870. Just got confirmation that they'll engrave guns but haven't talked price yet. You have to go in through the jewelry store(next door to  to the west).
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 12:13:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the heads up. The jewelry store is closing, is that going to affect Awards N Time's business?
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 7:39:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the heads up. The jewelry store is closing, is that going to affect Awards N Time's business?
View Quote
The way they told me, the guy running Awards is looking to sell the place to someone who can learn the engraving business. Don't know if they'll get a taker or not.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 5:38:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Interesting. The original guy I was mentioning is just south of New Hampton. If Awards falls through, let me know and I can get you the name. I haven't called yet to find out if he'll do guns though.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 10:01:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Will do, thanks. Hoping to have time to stop in and talk to them tomorrow. Probably heading to Decorah too so if I do everything I want to, I'm in for a good bit of windshield time.

ETA-there is an engraver in Cresco too, but same issue. Don't know if they'll do guns. I know they'll do grips but no idea on the gun itself.

Further ETA-Just got back from Awards N Time. $5 setup fee and 50 cents per letter. Total for mine will be $18. Thought it was more than reasonable.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 11:01:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Will do, thanks. Hoping to have time to stop in and talk to them tomorrow. Probably heading to Decorah too so if I do everything I want to, I'm in for a good bit of windshield time.

ETA-there is an engraver in Cresco too, but same issue. Don't know if they'll do guns. I know they'll do grips but no idea on the gun itself.

Further ETA-Just got back from Awards N Time. $5 setup fee and 50 cents per letter. Total for mine will be $18. Thought it was more than reasonable.
View Quote
You must have two middle names like me.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 11:52:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. Just a long last name.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 12:47:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Oh, heck! That's way reasonable! Guess I know where I'll be going. Thanks Shack!
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 8:08:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Oh, heck! That's way reasonable! Guess I know where I'll be going. Thanks Shack!
View Quote
Told them there might be another person coming with gun work. Richard is the person to talk to.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 4:01:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know that.  I forgot city and state need engraved also. My name alone has enough letters to hit that $18 mark before I add Des Moines, IA.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 7:24:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Anyone got a lead on a place closer to des moines than Marion or New Hampton?
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 7:29:21 AM EDT
[#17]
deleted
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 1:10:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Anyone got a lead on a place closer to des moines than Marion or New Hampton?
View Quote
Creative Arms in Des Moines did mine. Left it with them for an hour. $30.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 4:38:50 PM EDT
[#19]
nice. laser engraved? turn out pretty good?
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 11:02:43 PM EDT
[#20]
They laser engrave all their stuff. Mine was on a polymer receiver, turned out good. Small and not noticeable, blends in with other text.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 11:39:01 PM EDT
[#21]
I just used B square laser engraving in New Sharon he did two guns for me in 35 minutes.  I will use him for more thins in the future for sure.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 11:47:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Awards N Time ended up backing out during the shutdown, I ended up borrowing a set of letter punches and doing it myself. Didn't get things as straight as I'd have liked but it's legal, not horrible and it's done now
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 5:18:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Awards N Time ended up backing out during the shutdown, I ended up borrowing a set of letter punches and doing it myself. Didn't get things as straight as I'd have liked but it's legal, not horrible and it's done now
View Quote

Great, it got done and looked like shit but you didn't involve Controlled Chaos Arms and you got it done in under 18 months,  oustanding.

edited to add: it's sarcasm, don't use CCA.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:02:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Great, it got done and looked like shit but you didn't involve Controlled Chaos Arms and you got it done in under 18 months,  oustanding.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do I detect a touch of bitterness?
As for looking like shit, it's a 870 express. They look like shit anyway.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:22:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 1:27:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Shack it's not that you "detect a touch of bitterness"...you've witnessed trolling.  

edited to add: it's not sarcasm...don't be trolling  +  =  
View Quote

https://www.ar15.com/forums/hometown/NFA-engraving/42-634329/#i6990769

And here I thought when he posted "apology accepted" 11 months ago that would be the end of it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:14:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

And here I thought when he posted "apology accepted" 11 months ago that would be the end of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shack it's not that you "detect a touch of bitterness"...you've witnessed trolling.  

edited to add: it's not sarcasm...don't be trolling  +  =  

I'd rather deal with Michael than cavscouty.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:56:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for all the replies. Shouldn't have put off getting my fingerprints in Jan. Now I have to wait for the sheriffs office to start doing them again. Tried doing it myself. Didn't go well.
I'll get this done some day.

Link Posted: 5/28/2020 9:32:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the replies. Shouldn't have put off getting my fingerprints in Jan. Now I have to wait for the sheriffs office to start doing them again. Tried doing it myself. Didn't go well.

https://i.postimg.cc/W1S83K6m/2020-05-27-19-48-13.jpg
View Quote

You should have seen the horrible ink blobs for prints I sent in recently. Apparently they're not too picky about them.  

Roll your own and send them in.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 12:00:15 PM EDT
[#30]
I thought your prints had to be witnessed by a LEO?

*Disclaimer, I only looked at the rules briefly a while back*
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:22:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Call Rangemasters in Clive. They do fingerprints by appointment.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 3:29:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 8:10:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:03:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Might have to remember that for the next time I drive down. As soon as I find a Model 11 for a donor I'm planning to build a whippet.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 1:05:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I thought your prints had to be witnessed by a LEO?

*Disclaimer, I only looked at the rules briefly a while back*
View Quote

Nope, All you do is put your name on the card where it says who did it. There's instructions in the nfa forum. Order a whole bunch for free on the atf website you'll probably smudge a few practicing.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top