Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2021 11:54:56 PM EDT
Have to drive back to AZ in a few weeks to sell my place there (FINALLY!). Driving back so I can hit liquor stores and stock up on bourbon.

Going to spend 1 night in El Paso each way so I am looking for good places to eat. I am open to the type of food just looking for good stuff. I will be alone so ambience isn't an issue for me.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 12:52:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Kiki’s, great Mexican food joint. Leo’s is good too.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 12:29:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Chicos Tacos  1365 George Dieter Dr.  79936-7410   915-0592-8484
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 1:10:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Please don't!
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 4:39:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 2:47:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Please don't!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please don't!

A few lights north of there and one block east on Montwood, the aptly named Delicious Mexican Eatery, they have another location on Fort Boulevard over near Roscoe's as well. Small hole in the wall place, but the Gorditas are on point and the chile verde burrito is simply awesome.

If you want a burger with all kinds of good stuff that you don't usually find on a burger, like a quesadilla and chorizo, Panda Burger on Lee Trevino is good.

If you desire the traditional "Chico's style tacos" that danco302 suggests (search YouTube for "Chico's Tacos" to find out what I'm talking about, I like them, but they are an acquired taste IMHO, If you do go there I highly recommend you also try the red stew burrito), I actually recommend the copy cat taco recipe at Frisco Burger Inn on Yarbrough. The burgers there are legit as well.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 1:26:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Please don't!
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/9/2021 7:41:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Let us know where you ate when you're done.  Some of the best ones were little hole in the walls run by mom and went away when she wasn't around anymore unless family kept it going the same way.

There used to be one on Alameda street, a mom and dad worked it, 8 tables, 1 jukebox, curtain separating the kitchen, just tacos and menudo.  The best Jerry, the best!   I'd eat there every week if it was still around.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 7:21:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Chico’s is terrible.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 12:12:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Let us know where you ate when you're done.  Some of the best ones were little hole in the walls run by mom and went away when she wasn't around anymore unless family kept it going the same way.

There used to be one on Alameda street, a mom and dad worked it, 8 tables, 1 jukebox, curtain separating the kitchen, just tacos and menudo.  The best Jerry, the best!   I'd eat there every week if it was still around.
View Quote

I will be there next Friday, and then again 5-6 days after that on the return trip back home.  Appreciate the recommendations.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 7:48:42 AM EDT
[#10]
https://www.yelp.com/biz/rafas-burritos-el-paso-2

Rafas has burritos the size of your forearm!
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Kiki’s, great Mexican food joint. Leo’s is good too.
View Quote

Leo's is good for lunch. Kiki's is always good. One of our fav places..easy off of 10 as well...for me, Taco Chinapa at 10 and Geronimo is my fav, the west side location near me sucks... Nachita's puts out good food, but too many guys at work have gotten very ill from there.

Chico's is what food tastes like when you use all government white label supplied ingredients

My fav breakfast place is Los Jarrones on Redd/Doniphan.

We enjoy Dragonfly, Mi Piaci and also Ardivinos in Sundand Park is fantastic.. if not in mood for Mexican..West Texas Chop House is crazy overrated and service sucks, service at Corralitos was horrible.. Going to take wife to Cafe Central this week and finally see if it is worth it.

Link Posted: 6/16/2021 9:48:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Pancho's Mexican Buffet!  When you didn't want quality just quantity.   Closed down a long time ago but the best part of this place was the sopapillas with honey!  Pretty much got as much as you wanted, just raised a little flag on the table and they'd bring some out hot and fresh.

If the place you go to has fresh home made sopapillas, get them!
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 11:44:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Pancho's Mexican Buffet!  When you didn't want quality just quantity.   Closed down a long time ago but the best part of this place was the sopapillas with honey!  Pretty much got as much as you wanted, just raised a little flag on the table and they'd bring some out hot and fresh.

View Quote

We think Leo's has the best sopapillas so far. Been here only 18 months...
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:39:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Went to Leo's last night. They do something really good with the way the marinate their chicken and beef.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 2:48:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you want Pancho's you need to go to Dallas or Louisiana. There are a couple of Pancho's still left in the Dallas area. The only one I have been to is at 4550 Gus Thomasson Rd in Mesquite, my sister in law lives just around the corner. Tastes pretty the same as I remember the one on McRae tasting. There is another in Arlington and another in Ft Worth IIRC and maybe some in Houston too.

The Pancho's chain was started by the Arrambide family who now own Los Bandidos de Carlos and Mickey's. Which for the out of town folks is also a great place to eat, probably the best nachos in town IMHO, but it's atmosphere is a bit more on the "touristy" side.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 10:08:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Kiki's is like 1/2 mi from where I am staying so that is where I am sitting waiting for my dinner. Thanks for the reccomendations. I will be back this way likely Wednesday. I will try some place different. El Paso does have a bunch of tiny hole in the wall type liquor stores. Lol

Link Posted: 6/22/2021 10:07:07 PM EDT
[#17]
L&J’s Cafe green chili chicken enchiladas are amazing.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 3:17:05 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm glad someone has found something good in El Paso, I sure haven't
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top