Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2020 7:24:03 PM EDT
Ok, i am pulling my hair out at this one.  I know you can order some online, but i dont want the hassle or risk of shipping.  I want to go to a store, look at the models, and buy one there.  But trying to find the damn things in the bay area feels impossible.  Lowes and HD have a few crappy smoke and noise generators, and NO ONE seems to carry good inverter (especially dual fuel) models in stock. So where can i actually find these things? Did everyone make a run on them because of COVID?

The kind of models i am looking at are like this: https://www.costco.com/.product.100481637.html

I am all ears for a place in the bay area.. im willing to drive around to find one..
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:37:23 PM EDT
Pensacola Bay
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:45:13 PM EDT
Sorry, forgot there is more than one bay.. hah.  Tampa Bay area..
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:37:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:52:49 PM EDT
I know you're against online ordering,  but that's where you'll find the best selection.  Home depot and lowes only get tons of them in store when there's a hurricane scare.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 11:48:31 PM EDT
You can do ship-to-store at hd and get a nice inverter genny.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 8:16:11 AM EDT
Why not just buy the Costco one in your post?  It can be returned easily enough to the warehouse for a full refund if it doesn't suit your needs.  Amazon also has a great return policy.  I bought an A-iPower 2000 watt inverter a month ago and it was delivered to my porch in 2 days from them.   The days of browsing gear at stores like SEARS are mostly behind us, sadly.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 9:02:53 AM EDT
Don’t know exactly what you’re looking for but Harbor Freight and Northern Tool both carry inverter generators.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 12:04:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/16/2020 12:05:05 PM EDT by Tracker7]
Check these guys out for Honda Generators

https://xtremepowersportstampa.com/
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 6:45:20 PM EDT
I ended up getting a Honda inverter about three years ago from Home Depot.  I would have bought it from my local Honda Powersports Dealer, but I had points from my credit card saved up--plus some gift cards.

They didn't have it in stock at any Home Depots within reason--so I did the ship to store option (freight company).  There were too many complaints about broken items with the ship to home (UPS/FEDEX) option.

It's not set up to use LP, but there are kits to convert it out there I may consider in the future.

Link Posted: 5/17/2020 11:04:07 AM EDT
Quality Power near Florida Firearms Academy in the Westchase/Oldsmar area.

Northern Tool usually has a few generators.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 11:26:33 AM EDT
I'm in polk. I have one new in box. Sent you a im/email if your interested
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 11:53:27 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By draver:
Why not just buy the Costco one in­ your post?  It can be returned easily enough­ to the warehouse for a full refund if it doe­sn't suit your needs.  Amazon also has a great return policy.  I bought an A-iPower 2000 watt inverter a month ago and it ­was delivered to my porch in 2 days from them.   The days of browsing gear at stores like S­EARS are mostly behind us, sadly.
View Quote

I would look at Costco, too.  My local Costco carries the A-iPower 2000 Yamaha powered all of the time and the Firman you posted off and on.  They usually have a bigger Firman, too, but it’s a generator, not inverter.

I have the A-iPower and that thing is convenient, quiet and sips gas.  It comes with the ability to link another one.  I also have a 2800 Honda that is nice, too, but it’s a lot more expensive.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:52:27 AM EDT
I got one online a couple of Black Fridays ago. 4kw peak dual fuel generator. Honestly, shipping was a lot more convenient than trying to haul the damn thing out of a store and into the car would've been. My biggest problem was how to get rid of the box without letting the entire neighborhood know about it (not a bad area, but lots of renters and no real trust or community). Unless you're in a situation where you need it same day I'd just look for free/cheap shipping and save yourself the hassle.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 3:32:59 PM EDT
Generator thread.
Harbor freight. Hard to beat for the price. I have the 3500 watt inverter, quiet as can be and very happy with it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:36:59 PM EDT
Sorry to take so long to get back to everybody.. the weekend kept me busy. Keeping it simple, I ended up ordering the Costco dual fuel... I figured between the 4% back, the extra warranty using my card, it just made sense. Hopefully it arrives safely.. don’t let me down UPS.

Originally Posted By draver:
Why not just buy the Costco one in your post?  It can be returned easily enough to the warehouse for a full refund if it doesn't suit your needs.  Amazon also has a great return policy.  I bought an A-iPower 2000 watt inverter a month ago and it was delivered to my porch in 2 days from them.   The days of browsing gear at stores like SEARS are mostly behind us, sadly.
View Quote

I miss being able to see things in person, but I guess I’ll make due.  Two day shipping is impressive though.. wonder how fast mine will take.

Originally Posted By gabeowp:
I'm in polk. I have one new in box. Sent you a im/email if your interested
View Quote

I am so sorry I didn’t get back sooner - Gmail spammed your email. I appreciate the offer, but I don’t think it was what I was looking for (dual fuel inverter, due to sever noise restrictions where I am, plus electronics). Still appreciate you going out of the way on the offer.

Originally Posted By CZRider:
I got one online a couple of Black Fridays ago. 4kw peak dual fuel generator. Honestly, shipping was a lot more convenient than trying to haul the damn thing out of a store and into the car would've been. My biggest problem was how to get rid of the box without letting the entire neighborhood know about it (not a bad area, but lots of renters and no real trust or community). Unless you're in a situation where you need it same day I'd just look for free/cheap shipping and save yourself the hassle.
View Quote

I was trying to find a big daddy like that (think it was a Wen IGen 4300DF, but they seem to be hard to find (and more expensive). My big goal is to be ready for the season, and unless Costco biffs it badly, I should be good.

For anyone wondering, the dual fuel is really a big one for me, since I have the setup for the 900w genny, and want something that I can run on my existing supplies without depletion of gas supplies. Irma was a big wake up call on why gas gens were imperfect, especially when propane stayed available to the end.

In the meantime, gonna order a few spare spark plugs now, just to be ahead of the game
Top Top