Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2021 9:29:16 PM EDT
I'm going to be moving cross-country in a few weeks with a car full of guns and was thinking of spending the night in Memphis.

Any recommendations on where to stay?  How's the security of the area around the Pyramid Bass Pro shop?  My wife thinks its hilarious that they have a hotel there and wants to stay there.  

I wouldn't mind visiting Graceland, and noticed there are lots of hotels near there.  Is that area safe?

Last time I was there for a job interview my ride to and from the airport told me there were no safe parts of town and that the area around Graceland was the worst.  

I think he was blowing smoke, but with a car full of guns (too many to unload every night) I thought I'd check here first.

Thanks

Link Posted: 3/17/2021 9:47:54 PM EDT
[#1]
The Graceland area is Whitehaven.  The person you spoke to before was not lying it is not a good part of town.  The pyramid is in the north part of downtown also not a good part of town.  I would not stay in Memphis look for a hotel farther East. Just noticed the carload of guns part.  Bad idea you need a safe place to store those I wouldn't leave them in a hotel here either.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 10:30:19 PM EDT
[#2]
OP, the FBI had a Suburban full of full auto goodness stolen from a hotel parking lot in Memphis about 12-14 years ago.

*I* wouldn't leave a bag of chips in the car if I were to stay in Memphis overnight. *I* would stay somewhere halfway between Memphis & Jackson, TN.

My .o2
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 10:54:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Just answered a very similar question. Area around Graceland is a total hood Scheisse-hole.

But, for a nice, clean, safe, centrally located hotel, I have always recommended The Doubletree on Sanderlin ave.

If you like a decent steak you have Houston's, Ruth Chris', and Folks Folly(very good but pricey) all just a couple blocks away.

Never stayed at the BassPro downtown. Looks interesting, but i'm not a fan of their pricing.

Have a good trip.

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:44:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm going to be moving cross-country in a few weeks with a car full of guns and was thinking of spending the night in Memphis.

Any recommendations on where to stay?
View Quote

Somewhere other than Memphis, if you are leaving guns in the vehicle.  Besides the FBI SWAT team that had their vehicle full of guns and gear stolen from a hotel parking lot, there was another SWAT team that was just passing through and stopped for lunch.  As I recall, they came out of the restaurant just in time to get a look at the vehicle that was hauling off the guns that had been removed from their vehicle.

From reports over the years, you wouldn't be the first person to be moving cross country, and thought the stuff you didn't trust the movers with would be safe in the car in the hotel parking lot/garage, since it was in a 'safer' part of Memphis, only to end up filing a police report the next morning.

I wouldn't mind visiting Graceland, and noticed there are lots of hotels near there.  Is that area safe?

Last time I was there for a job interview my ride to and from the airport told me there were no safe parts of town and that the area around Graceland was the worst.  

I think he was blowing smoke, but with a car full of guns (too many to unload every night) I thought I'd check here first.
View Quote

No, he was serious.  It's not an area to be in after dark, and Graceland itself is probably the only safe part of that area during the day.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 4:50:47 AM EDT
[#5]
If you think everybody is just 'blowing smoke', try reading this article:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2008/07/american-murder-mystery/306872/

Democrat policies ruin everything, by trying to make all areas the same, but end up with everywhere brought down to the same low level.  

They have made some progress toward doing the same with Nashville, but Memphis has a big head start.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:45:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They have made some progress toward doing the same with Nashville, but Memphis has a big head start.
View Quote

I used to have black people in Nashville tell me how much they disliked Memphis. Hell, I've had black people in Memphis tell me how much they disliked it there. Decent, hard working black folks just want to live their lives & not be bothered by the hood rats. Sadly, that doesn't seem possible based on what they told me then.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:54:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for clearing that up guys... I had a feeling Memphis is just as dangerous as I've heard.  

I'm going to skip spending the night and stay elsewhere.

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you think everybody is just 'blowing smoke', try reading this article:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2008/07/american-murder-mystery/306872/

Democrat policies ruin everything, by trying to make all areas the same, but end up with everywhere brought down to the same low level.  

View Quote

That's an interesting read and certainly explains the spread of crime.  Thanks for posting it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 3:14:25 PM EDT
[#9]
West Nashville.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 4:23:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Residence Inn off of Old Medina in Jackson is fine.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 8:38:16 AM EDT
[#11]
There has been no such place since about 1975.

Link Posted: 3/19/2021 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#12]
The only hotels I would think about would be one of the hotels with their own parking garage downtown.  Maybe the Hampton on Beale or the Doubletree downtown.  But I would highly encourage you to not stop with a load of weapons that you can’t bring into the hotel with you.  Thieves are bold here, they hit pretty much everywhere and have no shame.  Fire stations and St Jude are spots that get hit regularly.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 10:30:54 PM EDT
[#13]
If you want to truly want to stop in Memphis to spend the night, I can always have you park your vehicle with firearms in it inside one of my secured buildings that has 24/7 security along with cameras/alarm and drop you off at a hotel.  

The most secure hotel areas are probably going to be towards the Collierville/Germantown area or head south a little towards Southaven, MS.

I usually have my pocket pistol and a short AR in my truck, but it is under a rear seat which is under a big dog bed and master locked to the seat frame. Memphis can be just that bad!

Basspro is worth a visit as the pyramid is very unique.  Grab lunch/dinner at the Rendezvous, then see Graceland.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 6:24:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Another vote for not staying in Memphis. I did stay at the Peabody in Memphis once, and had a great time.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 5:15:59 AM EDT
[#15]
I was going to say, not long after they opened that location there was a rash of vehicle break ins there. There are some safe places to stay, but I wouldn’t leave anything in the car you didn’t want possibly stolen, and don’t let your guard down.
Friend went to the gun range, took a bag full of his and his friends guns inside to shoot, parked near the entrance. Came out to a missing truck. He was glad he didn’t leave anything behind.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 7:25:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Stay in Germanton or Collierville.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top