Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2022 11:56:18 AM EDT
We may be looking to move this year. We really like the idea of the Carolina’s.

We have 3 kids all under the age of 7.

We’d want a single family home for under 250ish.

Good community is important to my wife. We are catholic.

Quiet is important. An alright public elementary school would be nice until I can get a new job figured out and start looking at alternatives.

Any particular section of the state I should be looking at? Low crime, no ghettos is a must for me.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What type of job are you looking for?  Upstate is heavily BMW and Michelin.  Medical:  anywhere.  Retail?  Charleston. Engineering?  Aiken/Savannah River Site area.

Avoid Myrtle Beach and Richland counties.
View Quote

I have experience in everything form construction to HR. currently in hospitality. Wife has a 100% remote job so we’ve already got an income squared away.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 1:09:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Carolina Forest lots of young families its in the Myrtle Beach area.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 1:31:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Suburban or rural?

Anything in SC big city urban limits outside the downtown core is free shit army, ghetto, and thuglife.  Big city elected officials and administration are all ate up with liberal woketardia like most cities ... but without eastern NC do-gooder white guilt.  Columbia and Richland County are the worst in SC as a major metro.  It got so bad that the powers-that-be had a business man elected last year because Columbia and Richland County is the worst area for infrastructure upkeep and hardest to run a business in across several comparable metros in GA and NC.

If I had young kids, I'd bang around on the SC school report cards sites:

http://www.eoc.sc.gov/school-report-cards

https://screportcards.com/

Pay attention to county websites for car tax rates.  What you think you might save in property tax on your residence gets eaten into by SC car tax.  SC car tax is based on the value of the vehicle and tends to be in the top 5 most expensive annual car tax rapings in the U.S.  However, when I was looking at having to move to Raleigh NC, SC residence and car tax was still cheaper than the annual residence property tax in most counties around Raleigh.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 1:31:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Greenville, SC
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 2:31:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Suburban or rural?

Anything in SC big city urban limits outside the downtown core is free shit army, ghetto, and thuglife.  Big city elected officials and administration are all ate up with liberal woketardia like most cities ... but without eastern NC do-gooder white guilt.  Columbia and Richland County are the worst in SC as a major metro.  It got so bad that the powers-that-be had a business man elected last year because Columbia and Richland County is the worst area for infrastructure upkeep and hardest to run a business in across several comparable metros in GA and NC.

If I had young kids, I'd bang around on the SC school report cards sites:

http://www.eoc.sc.gov/school-report-cards

https://screportcards.com/

Pay attention to county websites for car tax rates.  What you think you might save in property tax on your residence gets eaten into by SC car tax.  SC car tax is based on the value of the vehicle and tends to be in the top 5 most expensive annual car tax rapings in the U.S.  However, when I was looking at having to move to Raleigh NC, SC residence and car tax was still cheaper than the annual residence property tax in most counties around Raleigh.
View Quote

Flexible to do either suburban or rural.

I’ll check out those sights.

I’ll check out car tax rates. Wonder if with this property we’re trying to buy here if I can just keep it registered in WY.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 2:48:32 PM EDT
[#7]
The sites I posted are lists of districts.  Sorry about that.  This map might be helpful to find school districts:

https://www.ed.sc.gov/districts-schools/schools/school-directory/

I forget SC law for registering vehicles in SC after you move here.  I remember it wasn't worth keeping a car registered out of state with a primary residence in SC because "the man" wants paid and will catch up with you eventually.

I'll look it up later.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 3:05:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Murrel inlet looks like a nice place.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 3:16:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We may be looking to move this year. We really like the idea of the Carolina’s.

We have 3 kids all under the age of 7.

We’d want a single family home for under 250ish.

Good community is important to my wife. We are catholic.

Quiet is important. An alright public elementary school would be nice until I can get a new job figured out and start looking at alternatives.

Any particular section of the state I should be looking at? Low crime, no ghettos is a must for me.
View Quote

spartanburg  County. Look in Campobello, Landrum...Boiling Springs is where i am ( i moved from NJ) is also nice and very well developed    Greer has some REALLY nice places, but has some shitholes too . If you want real country, Roebuck, Pauline . PM me where you are looking and i will give you and honest NON South Carolinian  opinion   there is alot to like and great places here...but there are is also alot of shitty places too that realtors cant talk about.

Link Posted: 5/13/2022 3:18:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Greenville, SC
View Quote

yup it has alot of nice suburbs for sure and LOTS of jobs
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 3:54:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The sites I posted are lists of districts.  Sorry about that.  This map might be helpful to find school districts:

I forget SC law for registering vehicles in SC after you move here.  I remember it wasn't worth keeping a car registered out of state with a primary residence in SC because "the man" wants paid and will catch up with you eventually.

I'll look it up later.
View Quote

45 days.

$250K? I hope you have very modest expectations.

There are certainly Catholics in SC, it's a modest number, with more than their fair share of 'enlightened' Catholics.

SC is far more diverse than WY.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 4:26:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

45 days.

There are certainly Catholics in SC, it's a modest number, with more than their fair share of 'enlightened' Catholics.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll look it up later.

45 days.

The first 15 years of my life were in Baltimore, so I’ve seen both sides of the spectrum.

We don’t need anything fancy. Contractor grade cabinets and linoleum are fine with us. A fenced yard and 3 bedrooms is our main priority.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

They are from Wyoming. That is not the place for them. To many Damn Yankees. Conway/Aynor may be better for them. Unless they like HOAs and nosey neighbors.

Seriously, the building boom is running rampant in Horry County. I am not sure how long it will keep up with interest rates rising. However, even my neighborhood in the UCLA area is getting built up. Murder Beach is just about topped out on available land. So the sprawl is moving inland.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 5:25:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Murrel inlet looks like a nice place.
View Quote

Yes and Litchfield as well as Pawly's Island.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 7:54:56 PM EDT
[#15]
There are lots of jobs in Charleston. Housing is scarce as in many other areas and 250k will be a tough budget for a good safe home in the area.

There are Catholic churches in the area, as Charleston is the head of the diocese.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 8:34:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Lexington County (western part between the lake and I-20) is growing and a great place to be

PSA is hiring a ton of people (if you have any interest in that type of thing), lots of new industry coming to the area

Downside is house market.  The new cookie cutter developments leave a lot to be desired.  .15ac lots, slab foundation, vinyl siding with 3 beds in the low to mid $200s.   Better schools and less crime etc though.  The lower part of the county is more affordable but the areas are garbage
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 11:40:12 PM EDT
[#17]
company i work for in georgetown is hiring and expanding. it's construction based, but i dont want to give too much detail here.

you can pm me for details if you like.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:46:14 AM EDT
[#18]
MD you really going to leave WY?  Damn!  I've been on "extended work assignment" in SC west of Myrtle Beach.  Do not consider Carolina Forest just west of Myrtle Beach.  It's nothing more than little New York and it is a jammed up mess.  Conway, Little River, Surfside, Garden City, area is all good.  Better prepare yourself.  Humidity is a thing!  You're gonna miss that cold crisp dry 10,000 ft air!!  Do not even consider Myrtle Beach.  It is a shit hole.  Just like WY right now, everything real estate wise here is 47% over-inflated.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:32:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Greenville, SC
View Quote

Real Estate Broker with a reality check.
250k gets you into a bidding war on a 1200-1300sq ft house if your lucky enough to find one. Oh that will not be in Greenville CO. Maybe Spartanburg or Chesney
 I work for one of the larger local upstate builders.  We are 10 months build time but only taking contracts in blocks.  $240 is about the cheapest house we have.
That same house was in the $140s 5-6 years ago

If $310 or so is in your range and your ready to buy OP hit me up. I’ll keep you out of a bidding war.  
Some of the guys on the local forum know me. Hope they will vouch for me lol

Edit
Just a FYI
Intrest rates have not put a dent in demand yet.  I’m shocked personally, but west coast money is killing affordable home purchases here l.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 7:08:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Good luck finding anything decent or any land near cities

Run into tons of northerners...fleeing...the dump of the northeast and they have blown the housing market up. I could sell my house for twice what i paid for it right now
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 10:07:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
MD you really going to leave WY?  Damn!  I've been on "extended work assignment" in SC west of Myrtle Beach.  Do not consider Carolina Forest just west of Myrtle Beach.  It's nothing more than little New York and it is a jammed up mess.  Conway, Little River, Surfside, Garden City, area is all good.  Better prepare yourself.  Humidity is a thing!  You're gonna miss that cold crisp dry 10,000 ft air!!  Do not even consider Myrtle Beach.  It is a shit hole.  Just like WY right now, everything real estate wise here is 47% over-inflated.
View Quote

I would like to eventually own a house. That will never happen here. We currently rent but tied to employment and wife put in her notice. I’m not sure if they’ll let us stay in the house with just one of us working.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 11:25:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Check the dioceses website for church locations. It can be a drive in some of the more rural counties in the Midlands. Still probably closer than in WY.

Plenty of parishes in the more urban areas, in the Upstate and the Lowcountry.

As mentioned above, we’ve seen a lot of out of state money coming in and it has done crazy things to prices. The question is beach midlands or mountains. We are blessed with options not available other places. Start with that and it may help you narrow things down.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 4:51:03 PM EDT
[#23]
moving to SC 6 years ago it was kinda "culture" shock... I'm in the upstate area, my wife works for a local municipality and my daughter is a elementary school teacher... house prices all around the upstate went up drastically the past year... we were actually outbid twice by 100K.
I'm not a big fan of city living,  local towns around here as mentioned... Campobello, Landrum, Boiling springs, Pauline, Roebuck..ect... just stay away from the city of Spartanburg (where I currently live), "affordable housing " is being built like crazy and nothing good comes from that.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 8:35:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I would like to eventually own a house. That will never happen here. We currently rent but tied to employment and wife put in her notice. I’m not sure if they’ll let us stay in the house with just one of us working.
View Quote

Every time I go out west (MT, WY, ID, etc) I say I’m moving once older family isnt keeping us here, and my family has been in SC since before the Revolutionary war so leaving would be a big thing.  And yes I’ve been out there in the winter
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:26:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Every time I go out west (MT, WY, ID, etc) I say I’m moving once older family isnt keeping us here, and my family has been in SC since before the Revolutionary war so leaving would be a big thing.  And yes I’ve been out there in the winter
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We’re hoping to buy some land for a cabin from May-November down the road. I’d never leave if I have the choice. But I’m tired of moving my 3 kids to a new housing situation every 2 years.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:56:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Just letting you guys know I bought a house in Market Common. Has its own community town should be nice place to live. Cousins are in the Bear Foot and another in Little River so it seems like a good thing for the wife and me. At 68 I'm on the cliff I want to get a little travel going some golf and some shooting, hiking etc etc. Just relax and do what ever I want and add to the quality of my life.

Disclaimer: I don't know the first thing about South Carolina but one of the cousins kids did buy in the Carolina Forest with young kids .
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 7:24:49 PM EDT
[#27]
@Sdsquad1

PSA will have a range hopefully soon.
707 has one.
The gun Store on 701 has a range.
Cormac has a digital one that you can set up scenarios.
There is an outdoor range in Galivants Ferry (Echo Six) as well as one near Tabor City NC (Low County).
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:12:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
@Sdsquad1

PSA will have a range hopefully soon.
707 has one.
The gun Store on 701 has a range.
Cormac has a digital one that you can set up scenarios.
There is an outdoor range in Galivants Ferry (Echo Six) as well as one near Tabor City NC (Low County).
View Quote

Sounds like your close to my new AO. We should be closing with the house sometime in July. Thanks for the info cant wait to get out and do some shooting. I will be free from the obscene gun laws in New York State.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 10:05:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Horry County.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 4:40:39 PM EDT
[#30]
I moved to Greenville from NJ a few years ago. I’d stick to:
Upstate- Clemson area, Greenville area, Spartanburg area, but not Spartanburg itself.
Some of the Charlotte suburbs.
Charleston suburbs.

I’d stay away from Columbia.

$250k is going to be tough though! Houses get snatched up left and right for over asking. It’s crazy!
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 6:35:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Upstate- Clemson area, Greenville area, Spartanburg area, but not Spartanburg itself.
Charleston suburbs.

$250k is going to be tough though! Houses get snatched up left and right for over asking. It’s crazy!
View Quote

I agree it’s the best area but as a Real Estate Broker I’m just warning that $250 may not get anything I’m Greenville Co unless your a cash buyer.  
Pickens and Six Mile would be the best place to look IMO
I don’t know the Occonee area well but that is worth looking at.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 8:51:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I agree it’s the best area but as a Real Estate Broker I’m just warning that $250 may not get anything I’m Greenville Co unless your a cash buyer.  
Pickens and Six Mile would be the best place to look IMO
I don’t know the Occonee area well but that is worth looking at.
View Quote

Agreed that $250k is probably not a reality in Greenville county right now. I’m probably more looking at it from the crime and safety aspect with my recommendations. Seneca is right across the lake from Clemson, and seems decent, so Oconee county could work as well.

Forgot to mention that Anderson is similar to Spartanburg in some ways. Around it is fine, but you may want to avoid living within it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 5:09:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Take a good look at Aiken, SC.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 12:20:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Charleston suburbs.

View Quote

where in Jersey? i moved from Sussex county to Boiling springs, its actually quiet and nice here but its busy.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 11:43:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Gross.

I remember when Carolina Forest was a dirt road, and there was nothing after the elementary school.

If you like “the beach” Murrells Inlet and Pawleys Island are ok.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top