Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2023 7:52:19 PM EDT
I have some flexibility as to where I go. I want to be close to the gulf and able to catch a fish or two. Either day trips or a hotel.  23 foot boat if it matters.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Joe's Bayou, but it can get stupid on the weekends. About a 10-15 min ride to get out to the pass.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 3:36:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Joe's Bayou, but it can get stupid on the weekends. About a 10-15 min ride to get out to the pass.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:02:11 AM EDT
[#3]
If you are retired or AD, the Ft. Benning Rec center is an option, with reservations:  
We offer dry boat trailer parking for $8 a day with a one-time $10 launch fee with an advance reservation.
View Quote
 Call 850-837-6423 for details.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 1:47:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Just a FYI as I don't know you, but if you've never, (or not alot) been down here frequently, the East Pass is actually a fairly sketchy pass to go in and out of if you don't take it regularly or have a lot of offshore boating experience..

So research and plan it up prior to. Than again if you've been here before, you know how it is so ignore me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:27:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just a FYI as I don't know you, but if you've never, (or not alot) been down here frequently, the East Pass is actually a fairly sketchy pass to go in and out of if you don't take it regularly or have a lot of offshore boating experience..

So research and plan it up prior to. Than again if you've been here before, you know how it is so ignore me.
View Quote

A little offshore experience. Far from a lot and the new boat is bigger than the previous boat. And I am the owner instead of the friend of the owner. And I am in a new coastal area.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 8:56:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Pay attention to the tide and winds when working the pass.  I've never had an issue but some have lost it in much bigger boats.  I have watched that pass outside from my condo many times.  The weather can be decent, then one hour later storms roll in and the pass becomes a disaster.  Most days it's fine.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 10:09:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Pay attention to the tide and winds when working the pass.  I've never had an issue but some have lost it in much bigger boats.  I have watched that pass outside from my condo many times.  The weather can be decent, then one hour later storms roll in and the pass becomes a disaster.  Most days it's fine.
View Quote
The pass is generally the most dangerous part of any offshore fishing trip from Destin. Especially during a fast moving tide, and people don't know how to surf the swells on the way in. I've seen people get tossed off moving boats when the boat nose dives/submarines in this situation.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 10:13:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

A little offshore experience. Far from a lot and the new boat is bigger than the previous boat. And I am the owner instead of the friend of the owner. And I am in a new coastal area.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A 23' boat can get out of the pass without issue on most days, assuming it's not a pontoon or really low flats boat.

I think the Destin MWR ramp is only for guests of the MWR. I'd call and check before going. Joe's Bayou is nice, but costly ($20?) for folks that aren't city residents.

Adventure Marine also has a decent ramp a bit further west.

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 8:36:11 AM EDT
[#9]
You living there now? I'm looking at property up there. Going to retire in that area soon.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 10:40:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Lions Park in Niceville is a great ramp that is usually pretty low traffic.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 12:11:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is also closer to me.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 11:53:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've used Lions Park several times. It's nice. Just be aware that you may need to park across the street around the CITGO site.

Be a nice boater and don't leave your boat at the dock blocking the ramp while you go move your truck.

Have someone else drive it around while you park or get the truck, or consider anchoring in the flat on the south side of the dock.

I usually do the latter -- drop the boat in, run in 50' over to the flat and park it, then move the truck. Reverse the process when I come back in.

Back during COVID this ramp got crazy and folks were parking all the way over on Cedar Ave. I saw lots of screaming matches when the ramp was blocked.

OP, if you're closer to Bluewater Bay, Rocky Bayou also has a great ramp. And, if you have base access, there is a ramp at Ben's Lake Marina and one at Post'l Point.

I really like Rocky Bayou and Post'l Point because there's a small beach next to the ramp where you can beach while you deal with your vehicle.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 8:34:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Eglin AFB it’s just north side of the Destin pass.mil only obviously, also easier access via local highways and such as you don’t have to get down into Destin area with its limited bridges and too much traffic.

I use Eglin to get to crab island. I’d use it for the gulf too but I’m not a fisherman.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 1:22:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all of the answers.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:55:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I use an app called onX for things like that.....shows boat ramps
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 6:28:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I have my boat on a lift in FWB close to Olive Garden.  Right down from that place is a park with some boat ramps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top