Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/21/2018 2:24:34 AM EDT
I'm currently in Oregon. Judging by some of the current gun laws being proposed here I may be moving VERY soon.
I had been looking at Idaho for a while. I had wanted to be within commuting distance of Boise, 35 miles, but now I've read in a few threads that Boise is pretty liberal so I'm open to other places.
I have to have acreage, a rural area where I can shoot and go 4 wheeling.
I don't want to be in such a small town that there's no jobs and you can't find anything you need, I already live like that. I'm 35 miles from a city of 20,000 right now, to give you an idea where I'm coming from.
I live in a mountainious area right now, but I also am kind of attracted to farm land and I know there's jobs around farm land.
Any ideas where I should be looking for real estate?
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 11:38:40 AM EDT
[#1]
In for answers. What's your budget?
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 2:05:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Boise is not pretty liberal. That's fake news. Yes, there are some liberal parts, but that's the case with almost any city north of 200,000 in population. Either way, I wouldn't let that be a deterrent. We need conservatives to keep the balance in our favor in places that there is a mixture of both.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 9:36:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree ^^^^^^^ there are tons of nice things in and around Boise proper. Don't let the fake news sway you.

Personally I'm not a fan because of, well, all the people.

I like my solitude and we embrace conservatives.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 11:01:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I’m in the same boat - thinking about leaving Oregon.  I really like the balanced climate we have here in the Willamette valley.  Where would a similar climate be in Idaho?

I wouldn’t care to be that near to a large city such as boise.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 12:14:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m in the same boat - thinking about leaving Oregon.  I really like the balanced climate we have here in the Willamette valley.  Where would a similar climate be in Idaho?

I wouldn’t care to be that near to a large city such as boise.
View Quote
A somewhat similar climate would be up north in CDA area but with much colder winters. Southern Idaho is in the rain shadow of the Cascades. Its hot and dry during the summer months with very little precipitation. Fall is what you'd expect, cool and with more moisture. Same goes for spring. Winter can be a mixed bag. Some year, it snows a lot and is cold. Other year, like this one, it's a lot more mild with not many stretches of temps below freezing.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 6:22:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Boise is not pretty liberal. That's fake news. Yes, there are some liberal parts, but that's the case with almost any city north of 200,000 in population. Either way, I wouldn't let that be a deterrent. We need conservatives to keep the balance in our favor in places that there is a mixture of both.
View Quote
Yep #fakenews

Boise is fucking awesome! Tons of places to go shoot, off road, fish, hunt, ride motorcycles, dirtbikes, you name it, it's all here. 35 miles away would suck to commute.

FWIW, I work from the internet and make pretty good money. I can live anywhere I choose to as long as there is internet. I have lived in a few places and nothing compares to Boise.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 8:25:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

A somewhat similar climate would be up north in CDA area but with much colder winters. Southern Idaho is in the rain shadow of the Cascades. Its hot and dry during the summer months with very little precipitation. Fall is what you'd expect, cool and with more moisture. Same goes for spring. Winter can be a mixed bag. Some year, it snows a lot and is cold. Other year, like this one, it's a lot more mild with not many stretches of temps below freezing.
View Quote
Thank you.  
I'm not sure what I will do if some of the proposed new laws are passed.  Perhaps take all "evil" stuff to someone in another state until I can figure things out.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 10:36:15 PM EDT
[#8]
What a timely posting

We were thinking about Kalispell Montana and the surrounding areas, but Mrs. Soylent is having a tougher time with some arthritis problems. Anyone have any input regarding that around Boise? I'd have to live there abouts for work.

ETA
We're thinking budget fir housing up to about $350k but that depends on what I can find for work.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 1:25:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Emmett, North Caldwell, Middleton, Kuna, etc.

Prices are starting to get ridiculously high, but there are a few good buys out there.

If anyone is serious, I can recommend a couple of real estate agents that I have worked with who are Pro-2A and specialize in the Treasure Valley.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 8:57:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Emmett, North Caldwell, Middleton, Kuna, etc.

Prices are starting to get ridiculously high, but there are a few good buys out there.

If anyone is serious, I can recommend a couple of real estate agents that I have worked with who are Pro-2A and specialize in the Treasure Valley.
View Quote
I know I'm serious, but I'm just at the beginning of the search. Right now it's a little early to talk to a realtor since we've got to find work, get rid of a bunch of our stuff, get our house sold, and all the other things associated with moving.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 1:48:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice timely thread, looking to move to ID, UT, or AZ, with ID being #1 on the list.

Mrs Kubota likes Sandpoint area, or at least a place with many trees.

It would be our retirement home, and we want to be less than an hour from some decent medical care, as we get older it will likely be needed.

My dad and his wife live in Meridian, most all of Ada county is out just too many people.

Budget for home about $500-600K, less would be better.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 4:50:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Nice timely thread, looking to move to ID, UT, or AZ, with ID being #1 on the list.

It would be our retirement home, and we want to be less than an hour from some decent medical care, as we get older it will likely be needed.

My dad and his wife live in Meridian, most all of Ada county is out just too many people.

View Quote
A budget like your will get what you're looking for and then-some.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 10:39:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I guess I should throw in a "hello," as well.

My wife and I will be moving back West in about a year and a half. It'll be nice to be close to family again.

I'm keeping my eye out for acreage in either Post Falls or Northeast of CDA. On the complete opposite end of the spectrum, we're also looking around Pocatello.

~500 days to go!
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 10:22:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
I know a real estate expert. Let me see if he can give you some advice!

@ kubota3430

Link Posted: 3/29/2018 11:59:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 12:01:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Can anyone tell me why Nampa property seems to run so much lower in terms of price?

Is it just because it's a little further out or is there some sort of cannibalism issue over there?
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 4:45:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Nampa proper has a much lower price because of low income housing in Nampa proper, used to be a gang issue, and lots of transient populace.  We live a few miles south of town and love it.  Of course we are on acreage out of city limits.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 4:46:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Between Mt. Home and Twin is hell.  Or really close.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 6:04:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 8:33:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Nampa proper has a much lower price because of low income housing in Nampa proper, used to be a gang issue, and lots of transient populace.  We live a few miles south of town and love it.  Of course we are on acreage out of city limits.
View Quote
See, that's useful information. Thank you :)
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 9:34:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Can anyone tell me why Nampa property seems to run so much lower in terms of price?

Is it just because it's a little further out or is there some sort of cannibalism issue over there?
View Quote
Go to the walmart and look around
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 11:56:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quite a bit of the area south of the interstate is within the Mt. Home MOA and range.  Flying through there routinely it is basalt fields with sage.  Further towards Buhl is agriculture.  North of the Interstate are cheap properties because water is DEEP and of the long commute to civilization.  If Boise is too crowded look southwest of there towards Murphy.  Cheap acreage.  The most republican county in the state (Owyhee) and lots of areas to shoot, off road, hunt.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 11:57:52 PM EDT
[#23]
That is why it is WALMART.  Not too bad at 0530.  Hideous at most any around midnight.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 4:03:22 PM EDT
[#24]
We moved to the LC Valley (about 15 miles east of Lewiston) a little over 2 years ago from CO (aka California East).  My company has an office here so that was a driving factor.  The climate is pretty terrific if you can stand the hot/dry summers.  Out of the valley there's farmland as far as the eye can see.  Mostly blue collar jobs in Lewiston and immediate area but SEL has offices here and in Moscow.  Wife is a RN and hasn't had trouble finding work at all.

We like it because there's never any traffic or crowds.  We'll occasionally take a day trip to CDA for something new or specialized shopping.  That always reminds us why we like the LC Valley.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 5:52:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Kuna, its far enough to get rid of most of the traffic, but I can still be downtown Boise in 30-35 minutes.  20 minutes the other direction takes me to an area to to shoot targets, or ride UTV (for miles and miles).  They are also building alot of stuff in Kuna stores etc.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 9:53:10 PM EDT
[#26]
When I leave Kootenai County it might be to move to Dickshooter.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 10:05:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
When I leave Kootenai County it might be to move to Dickshooter.
View Quote
I saw that place on teh goggle maps and I'm still deciding if it's a warning
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 9:17:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Question regarding the drive time from the Mountain Home area to the Boise area...

Zillow map (I think it's Bing actually) always has the drive time about double what google directions do. Zillow puts the time at a little over an hour. Judging by distance and the interstate that doesn't seem right. Is that map/directions just wrong?

I've been through that area before and I don't recall it being that long, but I was already pretty wrung out from a long ass trip at the time.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 9:33:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Question regarding the drive time from the Mountain Home area to the Boise area...

Zillow map (I think it's Bing actually) always has the drive time about double what google directions do. Zillow puts the time at a little over an hour. Judging by distance and the interstate that doesn't seem right. Is that map/directions just wrong?

I've been through that area before and I don't recall it being that long, but I was already pretty wrung out from a long ass trip at the time.
View Quote
I live off Highway 20 in Mountain Home.  It takes me approximately 40 minutes from the house to get to Boise.  If you start at Exit 95, it would be approximately 35 minutes to Boise.  Easy commute and Mountain Home is very nice in my opinion, small town with everything you need.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 8:28:56 PM EDT
[#30]
We will be doing a whirlwind tour through the Boise and Mountain Home area this weekend. I've been in contact with a realtor both here and there and we're trying to get all our little duckies in a row with getting our house ready for sale.

I do appreciate the feedback from you folks that you've given.

Link Posted: 4/15/2018 3:54:24 PM EDT
[#31]
We seent it, we shopped houses, I interviewed and I think it went really well.

Pretty sure the trigger is going to be pulled on this
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 12:57:01 AM EDT
[#32]
I just spent a last week/weekend looking in the area house shopping.  The wife and I really liked the Eagle and Star areas.

If I can find a good job there and a good school for my son, we'll most likely be making the move!
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 1:09:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
We seent it, we shopped houses, I interviewed and I think it went really well.

Pretty sure the trigger is going to be pulled on this
View Quote

I just made the move last month, loving the area and loving my job. I don’t miss Portland traffic at all!
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 12:08:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
FWIW, Zillow drive times are not credible in the least.

Was looking at some tracts up at Elk City and the drive time to Boise was listed at 2 hours.

It's an hour and a half to freakin' Grangeville...and another 6 to Boise.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 7:13:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Man, selling/buying houses and changing jobs and all that has me stressed!

Made an offer on a place, got two different people coming to look at ours today, got a week and a half left at work and about it month before the new job...

My temper is getting a little sporty  
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 10:09:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Made an offer on a place, got two different people coming to look at ours today, got a week and a half left at work and about it month before the new job...

View Quote
Where did you decide?
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 10:49:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Where did you decide?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where did you decide?
Found a nice, quiet place a little bit out of Mountain Home. I made the drive to work and it comes in at 40-45 minutes. I like a little separation between home and work and that's onky 5-10 minutes longer than my current commute depending on what time it is, hell depending on traffic it's the same.

But, I've never left home/job/state all at once before so I'm a bit twitchy right now
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 11:08:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Found a nice, quiet place a little bit out of Mountain Home. I made the drive to work and it comes in at 40-45 minutes. I like a little separation between home and work and that's onky 5-10 minutes longer than my current commute depending on what time it is, hell depending on traffic it's the same.

But, I've never left home/job/state all at once before so I'm a bit twitchy right now
View Quote
Mountain Home is nice! I fell in love with Nampa, I'm a few miles outside of town near the farm land. Fantastic people here.

I did this 2 years ago, I'd never lived anywhere besides the county I was born but it had to happen. I uprooted the family, Wife quit her job to be a stay at home Mom so we went down to half income. Yeah it's been an adjustment but moving to Idaho was one of the best decisions I've ever made.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 2:06:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where did you decide?

2nd time I have done it as an adult.  It does make you a bit twitchy.

First time was as a teen when my dad relocated to work at the base. It wasn’t bad. I even got my same drivers license number from way back then when got my license last month.

What part of the valley are you working in?
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 4:43:56 PM EDT
[#40]
I've accepted a job offer in SE Boise so it's a pretty straight shot commute.

Seller declined our offer, we're going to stand pat until we actually get a formal offer on our place and take another run at the place then if it's not gone. If it us, well I guess rent until we find what we want. It's looking like I'm going to have to spend at least a couple weeks roach motel living so I can start working on time.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 9:29:56 AM EDT
[#41]
We have an offer on the house. I will be in Idaho next weekend to meet a landlord for a short term rental and finish my pre-employment screening and ID yatta-yatta. Probably going to re-offer on the place we liked today.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 2:58:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
We have an offer on the house. I will be in Idaho next weekend to meet a landlord for a short term rental and finish my pre-employment screening and ID yatta-yatta. Probably going to re-offer on the place we liked today.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:17:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Well if you end up buying the place, feel free to shoot me a PM if you ever want to shoot or if you need anything.  I am off of Highway 20, just north of Mountain Home.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:46:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Well if you end up buying the place, feel free to shoot me a PM if you ever want to shoot or if you need anything.  I am off of Highway 20, just north of Mountain Home.
View Quote
Cool, thanks

PS
Mrs. Soylent is asking "How many rattlesnakes did he find in his yard last year?"

I kinda chuckled.

She said, "No, I'm serious!"
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 1:44:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Short-term, check out The Bond Hotel in Boise.  I stayed there a few months while my house was being built.  It has everything you need included.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 5:25:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Cool, thanks

PS
Mrs. Soylent is asking "How many rattlesnakes did he find in his yard last year?"

I kinda chuckled.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cool, thanks

PS

I kinda chuckled.

Actually none in the last year.  It was a good year for snakes but I have been controlling the field mice population pretty well on our land so that definitely helps!
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 7:46:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Actually none in the last year.  It was a good year for snakes but I have been controlling the field mice population pretty well on our land so that definitely helps!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cool, thanks

PS

I kinda chuckled.

Well that'll give her a new hobby!
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 8:26:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Feel free to shoot me a PM as well when you get into town.  If I am not swamped with work, I can meet up.

I also lived in Mtn Home 20 years ago, now live in NW Boise after a round about tour of the NW, most recently from Portland.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 9:18:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Shit, I like Idaho already and I ain't even moved in yet

I'm meeting the landlord of my rental room this weekend, then finishing up the pre-employment screening on Monday, maybe Tuesday depending on availablility of HR and/or the clinic.

Kind of another whirlwind tour actually but hopefully everything settles down soon!
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 11:00:27 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm in the same situation as OP, my wife and I are looking at the Pocatello area. We've been checking out Bear Lake and American Falls, we're big time boaters and shooters.

What's the good and bad with Pocatello? Are these two lakes warm and sunny in the summer? Boise looks like a 2nd choice, we just want to avoid more busy areas. With all the bumper stickers about Idaho being full we'd rather get farther away from were the Californians are going.

We're bringing guns and extra republican votes.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top