Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2021 2:55:30 PM EDT
Never been in that situation, but i think he responded to a treat to him and his partner in the only way he could .Unless you were there at the time and in that position looking into his eyes and seeing the movements  of the guy with the gun you don't know  ,you have to trust his judgement he was there eyeball to eyeball and had to make the call in an instant.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 5:27:54 PM EDT
[#1]
WAT?
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 6:31:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Never been in that situation, but i think he responded to a treat to him and his partner in the only way he could .Unless you were there at the time and in that position looking into his eyes and seeing the movements  of the guy with the gun you don't know  ,you have to trust his judgement he was there eyeball to eyeball and had to make the call in an instant.
View Quote

Bibbidy-dibbidy-whoop-teh-huh?
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:40:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like a response in the form of a post.
Somebody has too many browser windows open.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 10:31:51 PM EDT
[#4]
lol
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 5:25:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Uh, good shoot?
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 11:40:59 AM EDT
[#6]
My bad , another senior moment . https://www.azfamily.com/news/phoenix-police-officer-jeff-cooke-to-be-fired-ryan-whitaker/article_9fdb0b1e-eb1e-11eb-9cb5-736fe2061b1f.html
Here is what its all about. With the currant atmosphere of LEO being targeted and shot at random ,no wonder things like this happen. It is insanity to greet LEO with a gun and not expect them to react .
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 12:16:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My bad , another senior moment . https://www.azfamily.com/news/phoenix-police-officer-jeff-cooke-to-be-fired-ryan-whitaker/article_9fdb0b1e-eb1e-11eb-9cb5-736fe2061b1f.html
Here is what its all about. With the currant atmosphere of LEO being targeted and shot at random ,no wonder things like this happen. It is insanity to greet LEO with a gun and not expect them to react .
View Quote

I'm not seeing that he "greeted an LEO with a gun".  I'm seeing that he was responding to someone knocking on his door late at night.  I'd have a gun, too.

There is no greater evil than a citizen being killed or having their rights infringed upon by an agent of the state.  None.  Period.  This now ex-cop should have been charged with first degree homicide.  We cannot have cops killing people who are doling nothing wrong with impunity.  I'd rather have anarchy... at least I know I can defend myself in   lawless wilderness.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 12:43:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Simple, a sane person looks and sees who is knocking at the door B4 opening it . When he saw the officers he should have put down /dropped the weapon . Sad as it is , he died of stupidity .
We all have firearms ,and most of us know how to handle them responsibly in this kind of situation. Stupid is as "stupid doe's" ,Forest Gump .
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 2:37:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Simple, a sane person looks and sees who is knocking at the door B4 opening it . When he saw the officers he should have put down /dropped the weapon . Sad as it is , he died of stupidity .
We all have firearms ,and most of us know how to handle them responsibly in this kind of situation. Stupid is as "stupid doe's" ,Forest Gump .
View Quote

Now that the thread has some context and we know what you are talking about, lets ask some questions.

Did the officers announce themselves?

Did they do it repeatedly?  

How long between announcing themselves, and the Whitaker answering the door?

The very truncated version of the video I just watched shows both officers standing to the sides of the door.  I don't blame them for a second for doing that but it's possible Whitaker looked before opening the door and couldn't tell they were police.

Without parsing all of the above and seeing a longer version of both body cam videos, it looks like Whitaker was in the process of complying.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 10:27:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sorry, I'm calling BS on this one. The cop was trigger happy (scared) and killed the guy while he was complying. Not everyone is cut out to be in law enforcement. Unfortunate we had to find out this way.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 1:16:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sorry, I'm calling BS on this one. The cop was trigger happy (scared) and killed the guy while he was complying. Not everyone is cut out to be in law enforcement. Unfortunate we had to find out this way.
View Quote

If we knew EXACTLY what happened ,it would be nice ,but one thing I'm sure of is the cop was not trigger happy . Why would he want to go through the paperwork and investigation ? And yes maybe he was too fast to react ,but he was  investigated and  was not charged .That tells me the people who have the facts and experience got it right.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 1:22:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If we knew EXACTLY what happened ,it would be nice ,but one thing I'm sure of is the cop was not trigger happy . Why would he want to go through the paperwork and investigation ? And yes maybe he was too fast to react ,but he was  investigated and  was not charged .That tells me the people who have the facts and experience got it right.
View Quote

He killed someone who had done nothing wrong.  Anyone else who did the exact same thing... knock on someone's door, then shoot them because they answered with a gun in their hand... would go to prison, hands down.

Police need to be held to a higher standard, not a lower one.
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 7:49:17 AM EDT
[#13]
File with the Dept for a copy of the report for more details. Cameras don't lie, BUT, after years of working with cameras in stressful situations, cameras also never tell the whole picture.
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 10:00:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
And Epstein killed himself, right?
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 10:46:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you know that there was a peep hole? It has a knocker but that isn’t 1:1 with a peep hole. Looking at the body cam video there were no windows so at most he had a peep hole. Can you tell what someone’s wearing through a peep hole, at night, after being woken from their door knocks, while one or more of them are shining a flashlight directly at the door where said peep hole is?

He did attempt to concede to the officers but he wasn’t given a chance. Agree with the above poster, they should be held to a bit of a higher standard. So should your arguments.

I’d imagine Forest had a better handle on grammar and punctuation than you. Calling someone stupid while posting like that is you throwing a rock out of your glass house, breaking the wall, the rock lands halfway across the street nowhere near the target house (target’s dead already) and having accomplished absolutely nothing aside from exposing yourself.

Do you think the Mesa hotel shooting was a good shoot too?

ETA - Can it not be possible both sides made a mistake and should feel the full weight of what happened?

I read the video like he thought it was hooligans and started towards a draw as a tough guy act then realized what the  situation was and attempted to give himself up. Gun never appeared to have ever been actually drawn.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top