Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2023 5:07:12 PM EDT
Wife got into Yale and Harvard for post-grad studies. There is a good chance we'll end up in the Cambridge area for 1-2 years starting this fall.

Tips/advice for someone who has spent their whole life in southern Indiana (OK I've also lived in the DC area, Europe, and Iraq...[Kurdistan])

Thanks ahead of time!
Submit
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 8:16:11 PM EDT
[#1]
As soon as available take a firearm safety class and apply for your LTC (license to carry). There are no more restrictions so that’s not a concern.

Leave all your mags over 10 rounds out of state unless they are preban (9/13/1994).

Firearms can go as long as they don’t violate the assault weapons ban.

First chance you get, get the hell back out of MA.

Cambridge is liberal utopia. Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 4:58:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By steve8140:
As soon as available take a firearm safety class and apply for your LTC (license to carry). There are no more restrictions so that's not a concern.

Leave all your mags over 10 rounds out of state unless they are preban (9/13/1994).

Firearms can go as long as they don't violate the assault weapons ban.

View Quote
I've followed the Free State Movement in Keene for almost 20 years.

I'm thinking of going to their "Porcupine Festival" this summer.

What are your thoughts on the libertarian movement (Free State Movement) in NH?
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 4:58:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By steve8140:
As soon as available take a firearm safety class and apply for your LTC (license to carry). There are no more restrictions so that's not a concern.

Firearms can go as long as they don't violate the assault weapons ban.

View Quote
Shotgun for HD?

Tube magazine restrictions?
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By hoosier122:
Shotgun for HD?

Tube magazine restrictions?
View Quote

5 rounds for semi auto shotgun in MA.

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/gun-ownership-in-massachusetts
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 11:24:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Probably will be in graduate housing... I'm used to Midwest campuses where dorms and residences are all on-campus...

Does Harvard own most of the housing in Cambridge?

What would you recommend for transportation? Can I just park my car like in DC then take the Tube most places? Uber/other ride sharing?
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 8:08:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By hoosier122:
Probably will be in graduate housing... I'm used to Midwest campuses where dorms and residences are all on-campus...

Does Harvard own most of the housing in Cambridge?

What would you recommend for transportation? Can I just park my car like in DC then take the Tube most places? Uber/other ride sharing?
View Quote
MGL makes it illegal to possess firearms on school (including private colleges) property, plus all the colleges have rules against possession of weapons on campus.

What I stated about "possession" isn't the strict reading of MGL, however, there have been convictions based on possession.

If you want to possess anything, make sure that you are NOT living in college housing.
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 5:10:24 AM EDT
[#7]
i think harvard owns everything in Cambridge.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 8:49:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EzGoingKev] [#8]
Originally Posted By eric496:
5 rounds for semi auto shotgun in MA.
View Quote

AFAIK it is 5 rounds for a semi with a pistol grip stock. If it has a conventional field stock it can have more than 5.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:12:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LenS] [#9]
Originally Posted By EzGoingKev:

AFAIK it is 5 rounds for a semi with a pistol grip stock. If it has a conventional field stock it can have more than 5.
View Quote
Not legally. A "feeding device" can't hold more than 5 rds per MGL. However, this is ignored for tube-fed shotguns, according to EOPPS.

The law on "feeding devices" is separate from the AWB law. I suggest reading the actual text of the law.

Edited to clarify the issue, I hope.

Link Posted: 8/1/2023 6:36:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By LenS:
Not legally. A "feeding device" can't hold more than 5 rds per MGL. However, this is ignored for tube-fed shotguns, according to EOPPS.

The law on "feeding devices" is separate from the AWB law. I suggest reading the actual text of the law.

View Quote

That reminds me of something I've been wondering but never found the answer to. I have a Choate shotgun magazine extension tube and spring that I bought before the '94 federal ban started. If I were to give it to a relative in MA, could they legally install it on any shotgun they want? Would it need to go on a pre-ban shotgun only?

I have no evidence that it's pre-ban other than I could provide a signed letter attesting to it. There's no date mark and they still make them now.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 11:03:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Fuzzy issue. Per MGL it would need to be on a pre-ban shotgun.
However, EOPPS has "determined" that tube-mags on shotguns are NOT "feeding devices" since if you  remove the tube, all the ammo falls out on the ground (unlike a real mag/clip that holds the ammo) and thus they haven't gone after dealers or owners for the "letter-of-the-law" violation.

They could change their minds on the legality whenever they want to do so.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 11:43:33 AM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

It was a few years I looked into this. I am thinking that I focused more on the AWB laws and the over 10 rounds being the threshold for high capacity.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 5:15:39 PM EDT
[#13]

It was a few years I looked into this. I am thinking that I focused more on the AWB laws and the over 10 rounds being the threshold for high capacity.
View Quote
The law about "large capacity feeding devices" is a separate law from the AWB. This confuses many people.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 5:24:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EzGoingKev] [#14]
The law about "large capacity feeding devices" is a separate law from the AWB. This confuses many people.
View Quote

I guess it confused me.

I have a Benelli M4. My belief was if it had the pistol grip and a mag tube that would accept more than 5 rounds then MA classified it as an assault weapon. Within that classification I would be limited to the 5 round tube. If it had a field stock on it it was not considered an assault weapon by MA and I could legally install the 7 round tube.

At that I took the definition of a "large capacity feeding device" as anything capable of accepting more than 10 rounds as defined elsewhere in the MA MGL.

I know I am not the only one in MA with this line of thought.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 7:11:28 PM EDT
[#15]

I guess it confused me.

I have a Benelli M4. My belief was if it had the pistol grip and a mag tube that would accept more than 5 rounds then MA classified it as an assault weapon. Within that classification I would be limited to the 5 round tube. If it had a field stock on it it was not considered an assault weapon by MA and I could legally install the 7 round tube.

At that I took the definition of a "large capacity feeding device" as anything capable of accepting more than 10 rounds as defined elsewhere in the MA MGL.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I guess it confused me.

MGL C. 140 S. 121 defines a large capacity ammunition feeding device as having the capability of accepting more than 10 rounds of ammunition or 5 shotgun shells.

''Large capacity feeding device'', (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or (ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994. The term ''large capacity feeding device'' shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 7:28:57 PM EDT
[#16]

I guess it confused me.

View Quote
Don't look for logic in Mass gun laws, you will only drive yourself crazy.

I'm going to give an example in hopes of furthering some understanding of the "large capacity feeding device" law.

If one possesses a Glock 17 rd mag that was mfd after 9/13/1994, even if they don't own a gun, it is a felony in MA. Because the mag issue is separate from the AWB, one can be in violation of one or both of these laws.

I did explain in my above reply the "logic" <LOL> that the Executive Office of Public Safety (EOPPS) used in deciding to ignore clearly written law and not prosecute those with tube mags that hold > 5 rds (shotguns). My info came directly from the chairman of the Gun Control Advisory Board (appointed by the governor) who writes all the gun control regulations in a training session in front of 200 police chiefs and licensing officers.

Link Posted: 8/3/2023 6:00:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Fuzzy issue. Per MGL it would need to be on a pre-ban shotgun.
However, EOPPS has "determined" that tube-mags on shotguns are NOT "feeding devices" since if you  remove the tube, all the ammo falls out on the ground (unlike a real mag/clip that holds the ammo) and thus they haven't gone after dealers or owners for the "letter-of-the-law" violation.

They could change their minds on the legality whenever they want to do so.
View Quote

Thanks. Typical MA gun law. I'll hold on to it and not mention to my nieces and nephews that I have it if anyone wants it. Last thing I want is to get anyone in trouble.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top