Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2021 9:16:04 PM EDT
Need help with ideas of things to do and places to eat in Door County. The wife is planning for us to go up to Door County for a few days in September. Also interested in places to stay if she hasn't figured that out yet.

I have stayed in Sturgeon Bay while ice fishing a few times but that's it. Thanks in advance for any help.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 11:40:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I went with the wife last September. We walked the trails along the water on the northern edge of peninsula state park and had lunch and checked out the shops in fish creek and had a good time. The next day we checked out cave point and walked the trail down to the dunes. I would definitely suggest that.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 11:51:55 PM EDT
[#2]
We just got back from a week camping in peninsula state park.

Plenty of trails to hike or bike.
There is a restaurant right by the entrance called wild tomato. Or something like that. Very good.

20min away from state park near kangaroo lake is a restaurant that is great too. Coyote roadhouse.  

Cave point is cool. Everyone jumps off a cliff there. Usually a bunch of people jumping or watching.

Other than that we did a lot of fishing from shore and boat.  Lots of swimming.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 6:41:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Count fib plates.  Determine % fib.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 8:33:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Wine/liqour/beer tasting.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 8:52:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm pretty close to Door.
It's a nice "go for a ride" type of thing for us. We take our bikes through the trails at Peninsula and ride through the campgrounds at all the different campers and set ups. There are other parks, preserves and places to hike, but the trail systems are short (other than Peninsula), so it's best to do a few each day or dedicate some time to do an entire park if that's your thing. We usually go spring, winter and fall. When all the tourons from Illinois are gone.

We do enjoy the wineries and the microbreweries, some way overpriced. We have our favorites and enjoy some other places too. Mostly local places off the beaten path. The town of Sturgeon bay has some pretty cool festivals throughout the year. You'll find something you like, just don't look only in the obvious places.

But holy fuck.......How many fake farmers markets, smug art galleries, cherry stands and all the places selling the same tired "kitch" can one drive past? It reminds me of the Poconos in PA growing up, before the city people came and turned it into a wooded slum. And there's more and more every year to the point of ruining the "charm" of rural Door County. The roadside carnival barker-like signage is starting to look trashy. It's starting to make the Dells seem like a cultural Mecca of taste and sophistication.

But can one have  some fun for a few days? Sure. Especially after Labor Day and before the weekend leaf peepers. September in Door is perfect weather.  Midweek is best.

Link Posted: 8/8/2021 1:40:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Never been to Door County. Closest I’ve been was Shawano two or three times for ARFCOM shoots. Going with the wife’s family Sept. 5-8. Will be staying near Fish Creek. We like walking and drinking.

I don’t swim, so no jumping off a cliff for me, Keep the activity ideas coming. Thanks.    Dan

Also not a FIB or whatever you call them.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 2:56:33 PM EDT
[#7]
You might want to spend a day     HERE
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 8:43:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the suggestions so far, please keep them coming.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 9:12:38 PM EDT
[#9]
The Chop has the best carrot cake I have ever had, the rest of the menu is good as well. Take a boat tour north, great history lesson if you get a "good" guide, ours was awesome and we learned a bunch of cool stuff and had some good laughs.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 11:32:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I spend a lot of time in Door County. Most of what was mentioned above is quality information.

Favorite breakfast spots
Village Cafe - Egg Harbor
Scaturo's cafe and bakery - Sturgeon Bay
Rusty Tractor - Carlsville

Upscale dinner
Lure - Sister Bay
Chop (already mentioned)

Casual Dinner/lunch
Casey's Smokehouse - Egg Harbor
Husby's - Sister Bay
Sonny's Pizza - Sturgeon Bay
Island Fever rum Bar & Grill

Cool places and things to do
Sister Bay Bowl - has to be one of the world's oldest bowling alley with manual scoring.
Washington island (take the ferry). Last ferry back to the mainland is at about 5:30. Be in line at least 45 minutes before that, or you are stuck for the night.
Cana Island lighthouse
Kayaking in Baily's Harbor - you can see down to some old shipwrecks in crystal clear water
Frank Murphy park in Egg Harbor - nice sand beach and great swimming
Book a salmon fishing charter in Sturgeon Bay

Plus lots of wineries, breweries, distilleries

IM me if you need some more details.

Edit to add: if you go to Washington Island, make certain that you visit Schoolhouse beach on the north shore. It is one of the wonders of the world. IIRC, there are only two or three places in the world with the large smooth stones like they have there.  You can swim if you want, but expect the water to be colder than the beer at Twin Peaks.

Link Posted: 8/11/2021 12:03:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Thats a solid list.  Been to all of those places, great recommendations. Just went to Casey's for the first time recently.  Fantastic. Used to go to Scaturo's a couple times a week for breakfast. They stopped doing table service (Covid), not sure if it's back or not.

ETA: I've chartered Reel Action fishing a few times and been extremely satisfied, especially on the 48' Viking.  My family likes Al Johnsons for breakfast in Sister Bay too.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 6:13:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I've also done Reel Action several times. Captains are solid.  My results were mixed - I've had great days and I've gotten skunked.  I guess that's just fishing.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 7:33:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I spend a lot of time in Door County. Most of what was mentioned above is quality information.

Favorite breakfast spots
Village Cafe - Egg Harbor
Scaturo's cafe and bakery - Sturgeon Bay
Rusty Tractor - Carlsville

Upscale dinner
Lure - Sister Bay
Chop (already mentioned)

Casual Dinner/lunch
Casey's Smokehouse - Egg Harbor
Husby's - Sister Bay
Sonny's Pizza - Sturgeon Bay
Island Fever rum Bar & Grill

Cool places and things to do
Sister Bay Bowl - has to be one of the world's oldest bowling alley with manual scoring.
Washington island (take the ferry). Last ferry back to the mainland is at about 5:30. Be in line at least 45 minutes before that, or you are stuck for the night.
Cana Island lighthouse
Kayaking in Baily's Harbor - you can see down to some old shipwrecks in crystal clear water
Frank Murphy park in Egg Harbor - nice sand beach and great swimming
Book a salmon fishing charter in Sturgeon Bay

Plus lots of wineries, breweries, distilleries

IM me if you need some more details.

Edit to add: if you go to Washington Island, make certain that you visit Schoolhouse beach on the north shore. It is one of the wonders of the world. IIRC, there are only two or three places in the world with the large smooth stones like they have there.  You can swim if you want, but expect the water to be colder than the beer at Twin Peaks.
View Quote

Sonny's is always consistently good. It has to be because it's a big place on prime real estate. Their bills must be huge and they need year 'round biz. Menu might not be the fanciest, but it's solid and has quite a variety. Great view too.
Kayaking in Bailey's and other protected coves is amazing. On calm spring days, the smallmouth on their beds down around 9 feet of water are as clear as day. You would not believe the size of some of them!
AC Tap just above Bailey's is a good local place. Cheap beer and nice folks. Just as long as you don't tell them how you do it from where ever the fuck you're from. That's local flavor there and a nice place. Respect it.....Don't mess with it. Or they will let you know in a "not so nice way"......as it should be.
In Sturgeon Bay, it's a good idea to go to Starboard Brewing....a Nano small batch brewery that is always rotating their extensive and ever expanding list. And there's always "The Garage" in Algoma (Ahnapee Brewing)...right next to my favorite winery in the world!

Go and have fun.
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Heading up there next week.  Been several times, I like the place.

There are two Door Counties.  Bayside and lakeside.  Bayside is the tourists, mostly Chicago, lakeside is more the locals.  I tend to hang out lakeside.  Can't say I've ever found a bad restaurant up there.  Some better than others, but all I've been to are quite good.  Sturgeon Bay has an excellent maritime museum.  There are several boat rides you can go on, including an old sailing ship.  At least one good bookstore.  Washington Island, off the tip of Door, is an interesting place. Not nearly as touristy.  Off of Washington Island is the Rock Island State Park, also a neat place.  I typically stay in Bailey's Harbor, lakeside, this time I'm heading north to Gills Rock.  Several golf courses.  At least two distilleries, both good.  God knows how many wineries.
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 10:58:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You might want to spend a day     HERE
View Quote

Very cool place.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 10:40:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Isn't the Jelly Belly factory up that way?
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 2:01:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Isn't the Jelly Belly factory up that way?
View Quote

No. There’s jellystone campground and the door county confectionary but no jelly belly anything.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 9:54:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No. There’s jellystone campground and the door county confectionary but no jelly belly anything.
View Quote

you sure about that?
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 6:26:32 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you sure about that?

Very sure. Pleasant Prairie is not in or near door county. No more so than Chicago is.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 10:15:00 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Pleasant Prairie(which is the location given at the very bottom of the page you linked to) is in Kenosha County,  which is the South Eastern most County in Wisconsin.  It's actually considered part of the Chicago Metro Area.

The Jelly Belly factory there closed down last year.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 1:40:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Good to know.  Thanks for the clarification.
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 1:27:16 AM EDT
[#22]
I did a big thread on Door County back in 2012. I think all the pictures vanished on Photobucket or an old computer hard drive. Al Johnson's Swedish Restaurant (live goats on the roof) is a tourist place, but the food was very good. Lots to see on Washington Island and the ferry ride is fun. Great view from the top of the fire tower if it is open. I went in the fall right after the big tourist season ended so it was pretty quiet. The Danish Mill on Washington Island had great food, but sadly has since burned down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top