Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2021 3:19:30 PM EDT
The wife and I are planning on visiting Santa Fe this weekend for a short getaway. We have a room booked at the Eldorado Hotel down near the Plaza, and we have been there before but that was 9 years ago.

What are some things that we should plan to see or do?
Is it safe to walk around down there at night
Any problems with CCW or law changes I should be aware of ( I have an AZ permit)
Any must places to eat or drink (We liked Cowgirl BBQ last time)

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:51:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots of places are still closed.
Mask mandates are in effect.
We have a homeless and panhandling problem but not like San Francisco.
There are capacity restrictions and this weekend is Mother's Day. Double check your dinner reservations.
Staying downtown after dark should be fine.
We have a ton of coyotes with no hunting pressure in town.
There's better BBQ across the street from the Cowgirl. Try the Whole Hog Cafe.

Enjoy your trip!

ETA
Bring a good flashlight. Santa Fe is nuts about light pollution and there are few streetlamps.

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:37:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Make certain you carry.  Lots of aggressive homeless.

If you want to see nature, Diablo Canyon to the west of Santa Fe is something right out of an old western movie.  Drive to the parking lot, and take the trail west between the mountains.  It will take you to the Rio Grande.

Hyde Park and its overlooks are very nice.  A trip to Pecos and to the end of NM 63 in the forest is also nice.

Bandolier National Monument is a good day trip, and only about 40 min away.  

On the weekends different indian tribes sell their jewlery in the plaza.  Meow Wolf is good.

The Valles Caldera is about an hour away and very beautiful.  Lots of walking trails in the area.  San Antonio Hot springs is also nice.

Stay away from Espanola.  It is a drug ridden shithole.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:31:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Make certain you carry.  Lots of aggressive homeless.

Stay away from Espanola.  It is a drug ridden shithole.
View Quote

Best advise EVER.

Glad they have a Fanta Se' bypass and the turnoff for Heron lake before you have to venture into Espanola proper.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:42:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Does anyone know if there are a bunch of no gun signs in businesses or has the panic worn off and most places removed them?
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 1:12:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven't noticed them in a while, but to be fair I don't really pay attention.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 8:02:32 PM EDT
[#6]
We made it safely and are back home, thanks for all the advice.

We stayed at the Eldorado hotel and I parked at the parking garage across the street. There were quite a few homeless hanging out at the park a block over and it looked like someone was feeding them breakfast in the mornings. We had a bum sleeping on the porch of a business and could watch them from out hotel room. I joked with my wife that we had a great view of the bumrise.

The plaza started to get a little busy around 7pm Saturday evening with people cruising and some homeless. For the most part we were in by 8pm and no issues. I carried pepper spray most of the time so that I could have a couple drinks. We walked to the farmers Market on Sat morning and only saw the homeless ppl getting breakfast and no one bothered us. Wearing masks was a pain in the ass and the service and food most places was just mediocre.

Link Posted: 5/10/2021 1:51:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 2:18:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the service and food most places was just mediocre.

View Quote

I've noticed that at a lot of places since Covid.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top