Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2020 4:16:51 PM EDT
It's easy to pick on Maryland because I don't live there, but VA is becoming a lot like MD.

But there are still fun things in your state, so what's your favorite county and why?

Me?  Washington County - Sideling Hill.

Link Posted: 12/27/2020 8:48:32 AM EDT
[#1]
We’re way down in St. Mary’s.  We chose here because it was so far away from DC and still ‘rural’.  My Moms family came from this area and her mom (my grandmother) was the only one of eleven kids who moved away.  Being back, if only for a little while, is like the prodigal son returning.

This county is like most of the other counties that aren’t Baltimore and Annapolis:  predominantly conservative and mostly polite (with a couple notable exceptions).  A couple too many Fudds, but can’t get away from those no matter where you go anymore.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 3:44:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I have visited friends near Leonardtown at least a dozen times, and remember occasionally stopping at an Amish market along Route 5.  A lot of my co-workers come from St. Mary's and are often referred to as "SMiDs."  (Southern Marylanders)
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 4:57:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have visited friends near Leonardtown at least a dozen times, and remember occasionally stopping at an Amish market along Route 5.  A lot of my co-workers come from St. Mary's and are often referred to as "SMiDs."  (Southern Marylanders)
View Quote

Or Southern Maryland In-Breds (SBIBs)
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 5:18:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, my wife says SMIBs all the time like it’s a term of endearment. Probably accurately describes half of my relatives down here.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 11:08:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I've heard SMIBs thrown around, but I didn't want to be the Virginia pot calling the kettle black.  (Looking over my shoulder at the mostly Winchester/Front Royal crew.  

Link Posted: 12/31/2020 8:19:39 PM EDT
[#6]
SMIB checking in....
St Marys Co
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 10:25:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I grew up in Maryland and miss visiting Garrett County the most.

Some other favorites:

Catoctin Mountain Park in Frederick County
Fly fishing the Gunpowder River in Baltimore County
Striper fishing the upper bay in Havre De Grace
Crabbing on the eastern shore
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 12:56:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Carroll county, the only county that told omalley to piss up a rope on the rain tax and said they would pay it, not make the residents pay it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:14:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Garrett was always my favorite: trout, deer, long range and, back then, almost wilderness.

Dorchester is my second favorite: fishing of all sorts (except trout), both kinds of 'deer' and waterfowl.

Quoted:
Carroll county, the only county that told omalley to piss up a rope on the rain tax and said they would pay it, not make the residents pay it.
View Quote

Reminds me of the sad-funny clip a few years ago where someone said "If the government doesn't pay for it, the taxpayers will have to....".

Where does one think the county gets its money?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:40:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Garrett was always my favorite: trout, deer, long range and, back then, almost wilderness.

Dorchester is my second favorite: fishing of all sorts (except trout), both kinds of 'deer' and waterfowl.

Reminds me of the sad-funny clip a few years ago where someone said "If the government doesn't pay for it, the taxpayers will have to....".

Where does one think the county gets its money?
View Quote

@eshell

LOL, back in the 70s went deer hunting with an uncle over in Church Creek, Dorchester county.

They stuck me in a stand an hour before light.
Had a stag bugle 50 yds behind me, I had NO idea what the hell it was but was sure it was gonna eat me!!!

Used to hunt Garrett and Alleghany in late 70s and 80s, still enjoy the surroundings, salt marsh vs mountains.

Still go up to trap fisher in Garrett co every couple years.

MD does have a lot of variety.
And the fishing...
Bluefin to brookies...
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:46:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Looking to buy a house in carrol County right now. About as far as I'm willing to go being that most of my work is in DC
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 5:25:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Looking to buy a house in carrol County right now. About as far as I'm willing to go being that most of my work is in DC
View Quote

You won't regret it, I have lived in Carroll County most of my life.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 2:13:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Washington.  I lived inside the beltway in MoCo for 20+ years and grew to hate it.  To get away I would drive up to Sharpsburg, Boonsboro, Williamsport, etc. and enjoy the normalcy.  I got to know some of the people up there and found them to be a better class than the denizens of Bethesda.  If Washington County and points west would ever leave Maryland I'd consider a move back north of the Potomac.  But that will never happen so........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top