Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2017 5:47:25 PM EDT
What's the law for trunk rifles out there?  Any issue with a visible gun rack on a pickup or mule/atv?
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 9:03:01 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as I know visible guns are good to go.

The whole trunk gun thing is probably a grey area without a CCW.

So the best bet would be to leave your guns in pretty plain  veiw or have a CCW that SD recognizes, and I think we recognize a whole bunch of em.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 3:27:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Good questions

* This is in no way legal advise, just a little informative post. I am not a lawyer or legal spokes person. The question was pertaining to state law not local ordinances.

Criminal Laws: Title 22 Chapter 14
Traffic Laws: 32-20-6.6

1. Trunk guns are good to go (or at least not regulated).  This obviously pertains to citizens legally able to possess said firearms. I am assuming you definition of loaded firearm (long gun) is loaded mag, chamber empty. I caution people who have a round in the chamber for long guns when it is not in your physical control.

2. Mule / ATV - typically firearms must be cased, and unloaded unless specified in some exceptions in above statutes. Visible gun rack, not regulated.

Edit: There are more administrative rules from Game, Fish and Parks pertaining weapons. Adminstrative rule carry the same weight as law. See their website under regulations for more information.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top