Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2021 9:06:09 PM EDT
Have some land that I have been wanting to plant trees on mostly fruit and nut trees. I wanted to find out what pecan tree grows best in West Texas?

Also any advice on where to buy them at? Don't care about age of need be I'll plant them in a large pot at first to protect them. Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 11:33:06 PM EDT
[#1]
West Texas?  How much water you got?  Pecan trees are thirsty.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 12:03:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 2:00:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Contact the Texas A&M Forest Service.  They have people that can help you and answer any questions you may have.  On their website, you can search for specific contacts to talk to in your county.  They also have a nursery outside of Lubbock where they sell seedlings.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 8:34:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Your options in drier west Texas are greater than those if you live east of I35.

The moister the environment, the greater the risk for various pecan diseases.  Some pecans that will do well out west will perform poorly in the east.  Forgive me but my pecan cultural practices are rusty.  I received my M.Agr. from TAMU in '79 in business and cultural practices of pecan production.

The Extension Service, or whatever it is called today, is your best source on info.

Posted in memory of Dr. J. Benton Story, my mentor.  Great guy and super pecan man.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 1:24:04 PM EDT
[#5]
In for info. I would have thought they wouldn't do well in the dry, but I see an expert above saying they will. Would be great to grow some near Jacksboro.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 11:24:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Native, native, native.

You want a tree that already has the genetics to survive wherever you are.

Try and find a pecan tree within an hour of where you're wanting to plant. Get some pecans off that and seed them into one gallon nursery buckets and see what you come up with OR try to find some small trees that have germinated on their own around that tree. And when I say small, I mean less than 18". Any bigger, you'll likely won't get all the tap root out or damage it. 8 - 10" would be best.

In my yard, the squirrels plant nuts everywhere. If it just so happens to be in a good spot, I nurture it. If it's not, well the lawn mower takes care of it. I've got 4 new trees going right now, been working with them about 7 years, getting up 10 - 15 ft tall.

At my other house, I transplanted a native my Dad had in a bucket. Thing was maybe 5 - 6ft tall. That was 11 years ago. Closer to 20ft tall now. I really didn't take too good of care of it beyond trying to keep it watered the first year or two.

And the good thing about pecans is grafting. Native pecans suck, but you can graft some thing like choctaw or posednek to it and you'll have beautiful tree with a hearty root system and gloriously large nuts.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 12:21:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Native pecans are very good at reproducing.  But native pecans are small, relatively thick-shelled and as such difficult to process for consumption.

Find an improved variety for your area.  If you can, see if you can find a "paper shell" variety that will work.  Tend to have a nice size and easier to shell.

Edited to add:  Native pecans are typically very good as root stock.  However, since pecans are slow to mature, planting a sampling means you are going to have to wait several years before the first handful of nuts.  In the meantime you will have to spray for web worms and likely copper deficiency.  

There are some varieties that are called precocious in that they produce nuts sooner than later.

Link Posted: 6/7/2021 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Many varieties are going to require about an inch of rain/irrigation per week from Spring thru to end of Summer.   Some even more.  

And, they need relatively deep soil, with good fertility and water holding capacity.  Digging 3 foot hole in shitty soil, dumping a tree in there, and filling the rest of the hole with topsoil normally produces poor results.  The hole fills with water, holds that water, and the tree dies.        

Link Posted: 6/7/2021 6:21:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I hate to be that guy, but are we giving odds to the number of trees that die after the first year?

Link Posted: 6/7/2021 10:57:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey OP,
First i went to the website for Texas A&M Agrilife Extension County Offices:

https://counties.agrilife.org/

Then I found my County and called them.  No one was available but they took my number.
Within a few minutes they called me back and gave me a list of Pecan trees that do well in my area.
And also emailed me with links to some info to help with getting them started.

You would do well to do the same.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 12:55:36 AM EDT
[#11]
If you can get in touch with anyone at Wild Horse Pecan Farm in Coyanosa, I'm sure they're experts. They're south of Monahans and North of Fort Stockton on TX-1776. Looks like main office is in Midland.
(432) 687-0129
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 12:21:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Many pecan farms just east of El Paso near Fabens. They are in a fertile crescent along the Rio Grande and they irrigate.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Drip irrigation is the best way to get the most out of your water supply.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 1:30:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Between Odessa and Abilene.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top