Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2020 10:54:40 PM EDT
Wife and kids want to visit after Christmas. Hotel booked and she's got a list of things to do (Dollywood, sky lifts, etc).

I have my reservations about going with everything being so crazy.

Any recommendations of things to do (or avoid) from the hive?
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:22:04 AM EDT
[#1]
The Trifecta all located in one area:

- Smoky Mountain Knife Works
- Bud's Gun Shop
- Lodge Cast Iron Outlet Store

Just came back about 2 weeks ago.  Pretty crowded.  Masks required everywhere but I never wore one.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 11:36:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I was in Gatlinburg yesterday.  It was not as busy as non-Covid times but still busy.  I would imagine Christmas will be the same.  All the commercial options in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge looked to be open and most visitors were wearing masks inside of businesses.  If you're into the nature and history of the area, I would recommend the Roaring Fork Motor Trail.  It's a one way scenic loop that starts in downtown Gatlinburg and winds past waterfalls and old homesteads.  It's a lot like hiking without all the walking.  I've never driven it in the Winter but it's really nice in the Summer and Fall.  

https://smokymountains.com/park/things-to-do/roaring-fork-motor-nature-trail/
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 12:54:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I made my yearly trip to a local fly shop in Gatlinburg about 2 weeks ago. I always come to the immediate conclusion as to why I only go once a year, the traffic absolutely sucks.

I came into town via US 321 as opposed to Hwy 66 from I-40, I can only imagine what that was like.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 10:15:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Sevierville is my hometown.  Traffic is at peak until after New Years Day.  Most of the popular shops are packed with tourists.  Highway 66, the main route in from I-40, is typical for this time of the year.  Gatlinburg is busy, too.  Mask mandate is in effect, with many wearing them to ward off the evil spirits.  Yet to see anyone thrown out of a business for not wearing one. Dollywood is doing what it can to finish its season (Ends 06 JAN 21, then reopens around March).

Very little ammo to be found and most of the guns are sold out at Buds and Smoky Mountain Knife Works.  Plenty of people still out and shopping.  Come and visit, we need the tax revenue.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 10:26:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Some people like it, I would argue Gatlinburg is pretty much horrible at any time.  I am also an admitted antisocial jerk so YMMV.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top