Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/1/2021 5:02:28 PM EDT
I'm thinking about applying for a job in Phoenix.  I'm in the Baltimore/DC area, and the prices here are high.  Everyone I talked with said they, or someone they know sold their house and all got $20,000 to $30,000 over what they were asking.  I've been here for almost three years now, and I don't see how I could afford a decent house.  Anything in the $450K to $550K is not in the greatest of shape and would need updating.  I looked on Zillow at houses in Phoenix, and noticed that almost all in my price range were newer builds.

I do miss living in the southwest.  Having sunny dry weather almost everyday.  The taxes here are high.  I would pay $7,000 in taxes on a $550,000 house.  On top of that the state income tax is high.  Take what you pay in federal taxes and multiply that by 0.72.  That is what I pay in state taxes.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 5:49:10 PM EDT
[#1]
550k could get you a pretty decent place out here.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 7:05:41 PM EDT
[#2]
550K will get you a lot more house out here than where you're at.  That being said. The market here is in just as much of a buying frenzy as most other popular areas, and 550K today will only buy a fraction of the house it could have gotten you a few years back.  This is also highly dependent upon where in the PHX Metro valley you need/want to be.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 7:31:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Taxes would be $5500 on a $550,000 house annually in AZ.

Oh and I lived around Germantown for a long time. Prices are actually more expensive on a price per square foot in north Peoria, AZ than there now. If you look in Chandler or Scottsdale you will get less for your money.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Phoenix market is still red hot because $550K will get you something new and pretty big, or something more modest and older in a good location.

Don't forget to pay your ammo tax to the older members on the board here.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 7:08:10 PM EDT
[#5]
MOved here to peoria in june 2020 we began looking in march was hoping to be under 275 but soon realized houses in that range were selling fast or in areas we didnt like. Between 275-295k houses were getting lot of attention se we found one listed for 309 offered 300k settled for 305k house had been up for a month.

Soon after 300k range house began selling very fast and now area is 450k.Im sure it will drop and then go back up again but we aint going anywhere soon.We chose west valley since its easier to head to glamis or river plus lake is fairly close or desert if it werent for kids in school we would have gone further out.
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 12:25:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I live in North Chandler. We have a 2000SF 4br/2ba that was built in 1980.
We are currently closing on our house.

3 years ago we replaced the flooring/carpets, redid the cabinets and put in granite countertops. Kitchen appliances are 3 years old. We changed out the tub, toilets, sinks, cabinets and shower in both bathrooms. All the lighting and ceiling fans were also changed out.

We listed it for $459k last week and got 9 offers in 2 1/2 days.
All offers were at least $5k over asking and the buyer we are closing with offered $482k cash. We just passed buyer inspection with no issues.

Our realtor said prices are going up 1-3% per month in the valley.

Link Posted: 12/19/2021 11:29:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I sold my house ten months ago, that I moved into in 2018. I netted 81,000 dollars.

It seemed like things were plateauing, but now that CA has that vaccine mandate more people might leave and keep our prices up for a while longer.

But trust me, they won’t last much longer.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 9:51:36 AM EDT
[#8]
If you need a contact (greater Phoenix Area)  for an ethical/honest guy who will fight to get what you want residential real estate agent I can PM one. As a lifetime licensed person I can tell you a great many of those on the residential side of the industry are horrible and not honest folks.

I work in the Commercial Real Estate world so I hand over residential items even for homes I buy to a guy who does it everyday.

Link Posted: 12/23/2021 11:56:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Its pretty nuts right now.  Expect to OFFER 20k over asking.  Conventional loan is ur best bet.  

Sold my house I bought for 90k in 2011ast year for 290k.  We bought this new build house last year for 402k and its now worth around 650-670k.  

Link Posted: 12/24/2021 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#10]
We just bought a house in San Tan Valley and paid asking.

We have been looking for a couple of months and have noticed houses are staying on the market longer and have seen many price drops. Of course this varies by area

We leave Ohio on 30 December heading to our new house in AZ.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top