Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2018 10:22:48 PM EDT
I have a carry permit here in Tennessee. I take my AR15 to the range all the time.  I am assuming as long as it's not locked and loaded it can be anywhere in the car? Does the ammunition have to be in a different place? I try to find the actual answer to this and can't find it. Also do any of you know if it is the same in Virginia? Sometimes I go home to see family and wouldn't mind transporting my AR15.  But I don't as I don't know the walls in Virginia with rifles from out-of-state folks.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 10:36:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:33:52 PM EDT
[#2]
(A) The first violation of subdivision (a)(1) is a Class C misdemeanor, and, in addition to possible imprisonment as provided by law, may be punished by a fine not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500).
View Quote
Didnt this just get changed this spring to up to a $250 fine, no jail and officer can unload the magazine and give roads back at court or something?
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 2:10:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 7:39:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 10:52:54 AM EDT
[#5]
HAHA all is good )
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 10:57:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 1:17:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah that’s kind what I was thinking. I go back-and-forth to the range a lot and one time I was in a wreck.   Wasn’t my fault, but I had a bunch of guns in the back from where I went to the range. He never asked about them. Was just curious of what the law was
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 12:45:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I thought I responded, great website Lexis Nexis
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 12:12:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought I responded, great website Lexis Nexis
View Quote
www.michie.com is the official publisher of the Tennessee Codes Annotated.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 8:03:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 8:46:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 11:20:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Google that and report back what the top of the page says.....
View Quote
I know who bought them
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 6:48:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

TN laws
View Quote
Bad link for me.

http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/tncode/  always goes to whatever redirect they're using at the time.

- OS
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 6:10:54 PM EDT
[#14]
A LOT of LEO don't know about this law. I happened upon a traffic stop my son was involved in about 6 months after it went into effect. Rifle laying in his back seat and my glock pistol between the drivers seat and the console. I stopped just as the "Officer" and I use that term loosely, pulled the glock out from the seat. He shouted out at my son "do you have a permit to carry this weapon!?" I politely informed him that a permit is no longer needed in TN to carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle. His response was and I quote "well he is sitting on it like a damn easter egg!" I shrugged my shoulders and said "so what?" He then told me to leave or go to jail lol. They detained him for over an hour and threatened to take him to jail, me to jail, and everything else they could think of before letting him go with a couple tickets.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 7:18:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 1:37:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
A LOT of LEO don't know about this law. I happened upon a traffic stop my son was involved in about 6 months after it went into effect. Rifle laying in his back seat and my glock pistol between the drivers seat and the console. I stopped just as the "Officer" and I use that term loosely, pulled the glock out from the seat. He shouted out at my son "do you have a permit to carry this weapon!?" I politely informed him that a permit is no longer needed in TN to carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle. His response was and I quote "well he is sitting on it like a damn easter egg!" I shrugged my shoulders and said "so what?" He then told me to leave or go to jail lol. They detained him for over an hour and threatened to take him to jail, me to jail, and everything else they could think of before letting him go with a couple tickets.
View Quote
How old was your son?
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 5:16:42 AM EDT
[#17]
I asked a LEO in Clarksville if it was legal to buy a rifle at Walmart, put it in my car trunk and drive home.  He told me it was illegal.

I don't think the law matters, plenty of LEO's will do as they want.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 9:58:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Rather than quote and reply to 2 posts, I will try to answer them both here. He was 29 I think a the time. THP was the "officers" at the scene. What happened was he dropped a lit cigarette and leaned over to pick it up, swerving slightly as he did and the 1st officer lit him up. Pulled him over, checked all documents, did a field sobriety test, then asked to search the vehicle, which he refused. He actually txted me at some point so my stopping by wasn't a coincidence. I arrived just as the drug dog showed up. I sat there and watched him MAKE the dog "hit" on the vehicle. ALL that dog wanted was to get back inside the troopers car. Ive raised and trained dogs all my life and at that point I knew they were going to try to fuck him over. That's the point at which they found the guns and the previous conversation I had posted about took place. Like most country boy's trucks, his was full of stuff thrown about in the floors. They ended up charging him with "paraphernalia" on 3 counts: a drinking straw, a small ziplock bag with a trail camera sd card in it, and pad he uses to scratch lottery tickets on. NO DRUGS and NOTHING with drug residue on it. I got a good friend in LE that was working the city where this took place so after they made me leave I called him and had him go by and see what was happening. From start to finish they detained him for over 2 hours before releasing him with those charges. I was waiting for him just out of site and a store. When he got there and told me what happened, I told him we would see them in hell or court, whichever came first. At the 1st hearing on it, the DA offered 6 mo unsupervised probation and like a DUMBASS he took that instead of fighting it. Like most young people he took the easy way out instead of doing it the right way. Me on the other hand, I was ready to fight to the highest level, starting with having the lawyer ask for all recent certifications and success % on the dog, then moving on to lab results for the 3 things they claimed.
IMHO the very first mistake I made was not recording the whole thing the instant I arrived.

On a side note: I promise every one of you that works from your truck, owns heavy equipment, owns a chainsaw, or even isn't a clean freak, THEY WILL FIND SOMETHING IN YOUR VEHICLE TO CHARGE YOU WITH PAREPHENALIA! You got a gas can in the back? You've been huffing gas, A can of spray paint? A can of starting fluid? Huffing again, a drinking straw? Snorting dope. an ink pen? Snorting. A note pad or clipboard? Crushing drugs. An empty sandwich bag? Pot. Our whole legal system is truly FUCKED and they know the typical person they try to drum up these bullshit charges on cant afford to fight it so they feed the system with court costs, ticket fees, PO visit fees, etc.... all a little at a time because that's all the average person can do. Im sorry but in general I HATE THE BASTARDS WITH A PASSION and have zero respect for 90% of them.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 12:39:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 3:28:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yea I woulda fought that.
View Quote
I put more effort into fighting a bogus traffic ticket from MNPD.

Interesting experience, watching cops give each other 'low fives' in the courtroom, as they walked back to their seat, if the judge ruled in their favor.  Some didn't get a 'low five'.

ETA: I've been slowly working on making the tool kit in the Jeep more compact.  Among other things, I have a large syringe (that I found in the automotive section at Walmart) for getting fluids into certain places, a large vice that mounts to the 2" receiver, 3 pound hammer, razor blades, and who knows what else could be taken out of context.

Take a plea on a drug charge of any sort?  Ain't gonna happen for me, since that sort of thing raises all sorts of flags during the job application process, and the feds require drug testing in my field, making such a plea effectively a career ender.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 9:05:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Rather than quote and reply to 2 posts, I will try to answer them both here. He was 29 I think a the time. THP was the "officers" at the scene. What happened was he dropped a lit cigarette and leaned over to pick it up, swerving slightly as he did and the 1st officer lit him up. Pulled him over, checked all documents, did a field sobriety test, then asked to search the vehicle, which he refused. He actually txted me at some point so my stopping by wasn't a coincidence. I arrived just as the drug dog showed up. I sat there and watched him MAKE the dog "hit" on the vehicle. ALL that dog wanted was to get back inside the troopers car. Ive raised and trained dogs all my life and at that point I knew they were going to try to fuck him over. That's the point at which they found the guns and the previous conversation I had posted about took place. Like most country boy's trucks, his was full of stuff thrown about in the floors. They ended up charging him with "paraphernalia" on 3 counts: a drinking straw, a small ziplock bag with a trail camera sd card in it, and pad he uses to scratch lottery tickets on. NO DRUGS and NOTHING with drug residue on it. I got a good friend in LE that was working the city where this took place so after they made me leave I called him and had him go by and see what was happening. From start to finish they detained him for over 2 hours before releasing him with those charges. I was waiting for him just out of site and a store. When he got there and told me what happened, I told him we would see them in hell or court, whichever came first. At the 1st hearing on it, the DA offered 6 mo unsupervised probation and like a DUMBASS he took that instead of fighting it. Like most young people he took the easy way out instead of doing it the right way. Me on the other hand, I was ready to fight to the highest level, starting with having the lawyer ask for all recent certifications and success % on the dog, then moving on to lab results for the 3 things they claimed.
IMHO the very first mistake I made was not recording the whole thing the instant I arrived.

On a side note: I promise every one of you that works from your truck, owns heavy equipment, owns a chainsaw, or even isn't a clean freak, THEY WILL FIND SOMETHING IN YOUR VEHICLE TO CHARGE YOU WITH PAREPHENALIA! You got a gas can in the back? You've been huffing gas, A can of spray paint? A can of starting fluid? Huffing again, a drinking straw? Snorting dope. an ink pen? Snorting. A note pad or clipboard? Crushing drugs. An empty sandwich bag? Pot. Our whole legal system is truly FUCKED and they know the typical person they try to drum up these bullshit charges on cant afford to fight it so they feed the system with court costs, ticket fees, PO visit fees, etc.... all a little at a time because that's all the average person can do. Im sorry but in general I HATE THE BASTARDS WITH A PASSION and have zero respect for 90% of them.
View Quote
Ok.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 9:04:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I asked a LEO in Clarksville if it was legal to buy a rifle at Walmart, put it in my car trunk and drive home.  He told me it was illegal.

I don't think the law matters, plenty of LEO's will do as they want.
View Quote
So how did he imagine you could transport it then?  Magic wands?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top