Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2021 8:17:40 AM EDT
This is my 2nd year in Virginia and will be one year in our home tomorrow.  

I need to go scorched earth on my lawn, the bugs are out of control.  We got a ton of little brown beetle things flying around, tiny little gnat things, mosquitos, spiders and lots of other stuff.  

I've done Domyown before and put down Talstar granules and spray around the house, we actually don't get much in the house.

I'm wondering what you all have been doing for your lawns.  More Talstar?  Or something else?  Does the Home Depot stuff do any good?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 10:50:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to VA.  I don't really use pesticides and it's probably better to avoid them when we can.  Others may have other opinions/suggestions.

The "brown beetles" may be Japanese Beetles? They can be targeted using traps and other methods, etc. E.g., https://www.almanac.com/pest/japanese-beetles

As for the rest of the bugs, that's nature and a sign of LIFE in your property and neighborhood.  Embrace it.  

Mosquitos - eliminate standing water - clean your gutters this season?  They may be a source of pooled water for mosquitos to breed.

Spiders help eat all those bugs.  Unless it's a Black Widow or something like that inside the house or immediately outside like under a downspout or somewhere the kids might be, I usually just live and let live.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 12:53:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 2:55:18 PM EDT
[#3]
If your near Leesburg or Manassas, look up Tractor Supply Corp, they have real chemicals. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/catalog/lawn-garden-insect-control?cm_sp=Fly_-_-SubCategory-_-Lawn_Garden_Insect_Control
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 2:13:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Bifen IT will kill almost everything that walks crawls or flies.  Even the good insects and it is hard on cats as well.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 8:05:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bifen IT will kill almost everything that walks crawls or flies.  Even the good insects and it is hard on cats as well.
View Quote

Holy shit! Why on earth would you use something like that?
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 7:39:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So my kids and I don't have bites all over our legs
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 2:01:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So my kids and I don't have bites all over our legs
View Quote

Interesting. I spend a good deal of time working in my yard, and am seldom bothered by bug bites. When needed, a quick spray of Deep Woods Off on my legs takes care of any problem critters without poisoning my entire yard.

The rabbits, squirrels, birds and chipmunks are most appreciative.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 8:08:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Any insect that walks crawls or flies.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top