Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2022 6:04:47 PM EDT
Talked with a buddy of mine who worked there part-time. They are gone. Our current theory is the ATF shut them down, all inventory was sold at auction.
They have been around forever. They took FULL advantage of the panic buyer, but I hate to see a long time gun store taken out
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 6:26:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess selling plain old Gen 3 Glock 19s for $700 didn't work out for them. Also Franklin Armory opened up down there, competition is a bitch.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 6:45:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Bummer.  I liked them.  They had a huge selection.  Everything was MSRP at best, but I bought a couple of high end guns there that I was glad I was able to hand pick.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 8:01:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:40:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Note on their website says they are transitioning to a new owner.  He'll of a selection, but always seemed over msrp.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:21:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Is this the place that was on the NW side of I-65 and the main Franklin exit, where the Old Bud's Fried Chicken n Catfish place was?  I was waiting for my mother several years ago, had a couple hours to waste.  Spent it in the old Bud's fried chicken place.  Walked out with a Ruger American Compact in 7mm-08.  That was a very expensive wait for my mom!
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 12:34:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 7:07:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is this the place that was on the NW side of I-65 and the main Franklin exit, where the Old Bud's Fried Chicken n Catfish place was?  I was waiting for my mother several years ago, had a couple hours to waste.  Spent it in the old Bud's fried chicken place.  Walked out with a Ruger American Compact in 7mm-08.  That was a very expensive wait for my mom!
View Quote

That’s it.

Great selection. High prices.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 4:01:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Brian sucked.

That said they were MSRP + 20% on everything.

Link Posted: 3/9/2022 7:08:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Fuck FGS.

A couple years ago, they sold me a rifle as new, with one of the sons even telling me it came with a factory warranty (despite having been out of production for several years). Foolishly, I figured it was NOS. He went out back, got the box, placed the rifle into it, and sent me on my way. When I got home (more than an hour away), I found the barrel tag from Outpost Armory where they'd sold it to the original buyer for more than $300 less than FGS charged me.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 11:35:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm in the parking lot every Tuesday and Thursday at a different business, there are still people pulling up shaking the door and then driving away angrily. I never went in the store but I was fixin' to, glad I didn't now.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 12:05:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 7:55:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Foolishly, I figured it was NOS.
View Quote

If it’s unfired, doesn’t that make it new old stock?  What actually makes a gun “used”?  Honest question. Is it the 4473 or the first round fired?

Discontinued guns often go up in value.  Some of the guns that CDNN once couldn’t give away…
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 4:45:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That's it.

Great selection. High prices.
View Quote
I bought the first gun I purchased on my own there about twenty years ago and I still have it.  A G23 and I didn't know better about gun pricing.  I purchased my Saiga 12 there as well much later.  I remember they actually had 5.7 on the shelf, high but they had it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 9:35:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Do they really they really have 10,000 guns?
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 9:39:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Do they really they really have 10,000 guns?
View Quote

Not on display, but they really do have a lot of stuff. Or did. I’ve only been once.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 11:32:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Not on display, but they really do have a lot of stuff. Or did. I’ve only been once.
View Quote

Hopefully one day I can stop by and check it out. Its on the way to and from the range
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 1:59:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm sure most of you are looking for something more exotic, but the Academy Sports store about a mile North of the Franklin Gun Shop does good business, fair prices, decent assortment and have always had good service.  The guys working behind the counter do a good job.

Link Posted: 4/22/2022 3:49:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 11:09:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm sure most of you are looking for something more exotic, but the Academy Sports store about a mile North of the Franklin Gun Shop does good business, fair prices, decent assortment and have always had good service.  The guys working behind the counter do a good job.

View Quote

Went in there today. Surprised how few guns they had.

I did buy some shotgun shells. They had a fair bit of ammo.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 10:13:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

But do they have a case full of vintage guns that could range from a U.S. marked 1917 Colt New Service to an Israeli marked Hi-Power to a WW1 vintage 1911?

We already know academy is good for currently produced bread and butter guns. Franklin GS was where you went for things you'd only see pictures of on gunbroker.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But do they have a case full of vintage guns that could range from a U.S. marked 1917 Colt New Service to an Israeli marked Hi-Power to a WW1 vintage 1911?

We already know academy is good for currently produced bread and butter guns. Franklin GS was where you went for things you'd only see pictures of on gunbroker.

That last sentance is the truth!!  I saw a Rockola M1 Carbine and several 1911s that piqued my interests…I hope these remain when/if the store reopens.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:21:19 PM EDT
[#21]
What timing! I was sitting around thinking about Brian and Franklin gun shop for the first time in years  just went to their website and saw Brian had sold out. And then clicked here to find out the story , haha.

Yup, Brian was high, but he knew his clientele and they could pay. And obviously did for 20 years.

It was a pretty awesome shop, esp if you wanted to go window shop for things you had only read about in magazines.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 1:25:17 PM EDT
[#22]
My favorite thing at FGS was the "bringback Makarov" in the case for years.  "No import marks" I believe was on the label.

You could see the Century mark creeping out from under a grip panel.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 6:01:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I am guessing some of you already knew this, but I just drove by the former Franklin Gun Shop store, as I do every month or so to see what's up, and now the sign says, "Outpost Armory - Coming Soon". So I guess the theory that a former employee was taking over the business did not come through?

There was no opening date listed, and I do not know if this means the smaller nearby Outpost Store (formerly Uselton Arms) will close up shop since it's so close?

If anyone knows any further insights, I am curious to learn what's going on...
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 1:51:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That's on you buddy. They twist your arm or pull a gun on you and make you buy it? You must have been happy with the price when you forked over the money. And a lot of guns go up once they go out of production especially if they are a desirable model. Look at Remington prices now on 700s and 742s etc. Priced a model 94 Winchester lately? I promise you every decent  94 advertised right now is priced higher than it sold for new.
I bought an S&W 3rd model hand ejector .44 from them years ago for about $500, Sears sold that model for $17.50 new, those bastards!
View Quote

I have a Winchester Model 94 Canadian Centennial Commemorative that I bought new in 1971 for $125.  I don't think I'd take $125 for it now ;)

I also have a Winchester 9422M (22 WMR) that I bought new in 1974 for $150.  Same goes for that one, it would take a lot more than $150 to pry it away from me because I love to shoot that rifle.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 11:44:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have a Winchester Model 94 Canadian Centennial Commemorative that I bought new in 1971 for $125.  I don't think I'd take $125 for it now ;)

I also have a Winchester 9422M (22 WMR) that I bought new in 1974 for $150.  Same goes for that one, it would take a lot more than $150 to pry it away from me because I love to shoot that rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's on you buddy. They twist your arm or pull a gun on you and make you buy it? You must have been happy with the price when you forked over the money. And a lot of guns go up once they go out of production especially if they are a desirable model. Look at Remington prices now on 700s and 742s etc. Priced a model 94 Winchester lately? I promise you every decent  94 advertised right now is priced higher than it sold for new.
I bought an S&W 3rd model hand ejector .44 from them years ago for about $500, Sears sold that model for $17.50 new, those bastards!

Yeah, older Winchesters are going to be worth more than what they cost new.

The rifle in question, though, was a Rossi Rio Grande in .45-70. They were only produced for a few years before Rossi discontinued them. The one I bought locked up completely when I fired the first round. It was so bad, I had to disassemble the mag tube to unload it to take to the gunsmith. The rifle actually went to two different gunsmiths, spending about a year between the two shops, before I was able to get it back in functioning condition. This is definitely no older Winchester.

Yeah, I saw the price and willingly paid it because it was an out of production gun. I have a matching Rio Grande in .30-30, so I wanted the .45-70 to go with it when I saw it. I didn't mind the mark up, so much as I minded having been made to believe it was a new gun which had simply been laying around the shop for a few years.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 2:37:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I am guessing some of you already knew this, but I just drove by the former Franklin Gun Shop store, as I do every month or so to see what's up, and now the sign says, "Outpost Armory - Coming Soon". So I guess the theory that a former employee was taking over the business did not come through?

There was no opening date listed, and I do not know if this means the smaller nearby Outpost Store (formerly Uselton Arms) will close up shop since it's so close?

If anyone knows any further insights, I am curious to learn what's going on...
View Quote

I want to say that I saw a OA sign somewhere within the last week. Didn't register as important at the moment.

Interesting.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 12:58:18 AM EDT
[#27]
OA is open now. It's a shell of the former FGS. I wonder what happened to all the inventory they had. :(
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 8:35:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Y'all need to get over to Smith Gun Co. on Hwy. 43 going N out of Lawrenceburg.
Lots of stuff on the wall.....
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:37:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

When did they open? They were working on the building last time I was by there, but that was some months ago.

Link Posted: 10/6/2022 11:02:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
North or south of Schaffer's Meats?

Did you finally move to way of the milk area?
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 9:06:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
When did they open? They were working on the building last time I was by there, but that was some months ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Hmmmm, I think about 1 month ago..... Lots of stuff on the walls, seem to be
heavy on inventory. Not too much as far as accessories or ammo. Looks good
inside though.... I didn't price check anything.

Once I get a little slack time, I hope to come out there & tease your goats again
by slow-walking the feed bucket to them

Quoted:
North or south of Schaffer's Meats?

Did you finally move to way of the milk area?

South of there, right next to Hinie's LGBTWTFBBQ if I remember correctly.
On the Right side of the road as you go North.

Still building up there, shingles are on the roof & Tyvek wrap is on. Electrician is
dragging his a55. Septic should be put in w/in next 2 weeks. Bought a new KubotaBX-2680
with a front loader that I have no idea how I'm gonna pay for it, but it's needed for
that hillside. Boy loves it, can't keep him off of it
I hope we get in by Christmas but I doubt that will happen.

I've been able to do stuff inside like I wanted to; storage space in the attic & I must
have put a metric sh*t-ton of blocking in the walls myself - I hate anchoring to
sh*trock.

We need to all get together again a few months after we move in. We can do it at our
place, the world's largest natural backstop shooting range
Parking is going to be a pain in the a55, though.....
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 11:01:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Good luck!  LMK if I can help!

Link Posted: 10/7/2022 9:15:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Funniest part about the re-open is that all leftover inventory with a FGS price sticker still on it is 50% off!
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 10:44:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Anyone here shop at Nashville Armory?
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 2:41:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have.  Glock Blue Label dealer but last time I was in(3 months ago) they had no blue label guns.  MSRP prices.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 6:58:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Generally only folks who have too much money and don't care about overpaying shop there. Never seen a deal there unfortunately.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 10:18:59 AM EDT
[#37]
A buddy and I went to Outpost/old Franklin Gun Shop last Saturday, and I give the place a solid ‘meh’. Nothing jumps out with regard to price, selection, or the staff, so we left shortly afterwards.

We DID, however, like the small Franklin Armory store. He even left with an Sig P/322, which we shot the shit out of when we got back to his land.

Link Posted: 11/3/2022 4:38:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
A buddy and I went to Outpost/old Franklin Gun Shop last Saturday, and I give the place a solid ‘meh’. Nothing jumps out with regard to price, selection, or the staff, so we left shortly afterwards.

We DID, however, like the small Franklin Armory store. He even left with an Sig P/322, which we shot the shit out of when we got back to his land.

View Quote

Holy smokes John! Glad to see you back.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 7:43:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Holy smokes John! Glad to see you back.
View Quote

+1 for sure.

Link Posted: 11/22/2022 2:46:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Dont have a link.

Saw where the three former owners of FGS have pleaded guilty to  obstruction of justice and falsifying disposition records to the ATF.
Hate to kick someone when they're down, but could it be karma?

Edit:sp
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 11:00:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Owners Of Franklin Gun Shop Plead Guilty To Federal Charges

I always got along with Brian, and he offered me good money for trade-ins.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 12:02:25 AM EDT
[#42]
No jail time.  They got lucky given the current climate....or at least it would appear so if the report is accurate.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 12:14:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
No jail time.  They got lucky given the current climate....or at least it would appear so if the report is accurate.
View Quote

Maybe they ‘know people who know people’, which wouldn’t surprise me in Franklin. I wouldn’t be shocked if that had something to do with not having the book thrown at them, which has happened to other FFLs.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 12:42:24 PM EDT
[#44]
It would have been way better for them if they didn’t falsify documents.  I doubt that anything would have really happened to them if they just shrugged their shoulders about the missing guns.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 1:36:25 AM EDT
[#45]
I met Brian almost 20 years ago, lost touch with him 10-12 years ago.

His wife was sweet. Good nurse too.

Met Jim Scoutten at his shop eons ago.

Rocky kinda sucked as a smith.

He was able to pull off MSRP+ for decades, good for him. He catered to folks that buy a handful of guns in a lifetime and don't  know or sweat the lowest price possible.

He had about everything you could imagine.

Im sad to hear about it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 4:55:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Talked with a buddy of mine who worked there part-time. They are gone. Our current theory is the ATF shut them down, all inventory was sold at auction.
They have been around forever. They took FULL advantage of the panic buyer, but I hate to see a long time gun store taken out
View Quote

Full retail plus 20%!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top