Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2021 7:56:10 PM EDT
Just looking for information.  I'm considering accepting a project position in Pueblo.  At least a 2 year commitment.

I'm currently in Houston, worked in O&G for most my career.  Will be bringing family.

Most of the project team seems to be living in Colorado Springs.  

Any insight, places to avoid or places to be?
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 8:48:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Short answer, Pueblo West or Colorado Springs north of Platte for lower crime.

Housing is expensive in the whole region.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 8:54:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, that mirrors what I am hearing.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 10:17:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Short answer, Pueblo West or Colorado Springs north of Platte for lower crime.

Housing is expensive in the whole region.
View Quote

Agreed.  

How is Canon City?  I know there are several prisons, but how is crime in the community?
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 11:51:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Pueblo is a rough blue town. Pueblo west I’m told isn’t bad. Colorado Springs is turning into new Pueblo.  Stay north in the springs.  Canyon city I think is ok but don’t know enough. Not a lot of roads in or out
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 2:06:09 PM EDT
[#5]
How is the commute from Canyon City or Colorado Springs?  Wintertime commute?

Does Canyon City have decent internet providers for working remotely?
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 2:45:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Pueblo is an odd place. I can’t put my finger on it but it’s just strange.

That’s all I have to offer sorry.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Old joke:

My GF said "kiss me where it's dirty", so I took her to Pueblo.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 6:09:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Old joke:

My GF said "kiss me where it's dirty", so I took her to Pueblo.  
View Quote

Hey, I understand.  I've worked on the East side of Houston where the refineries and chem plants are located.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 8:16:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 9:13:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How is the commute from Canyon City or Colorado Springs?  Wintertime commute?

Does Canyon City have decent internet providers for working remotely?
View Quote

115 can get bad because it’s tucked up against the mountains. The northern most 1/3 is usually the worst. 50 gets iced packed occasionally too. Both are rare but happens

I’d imagine CC has decent internet options. Most likely you’d have to be in or real close to town though.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 9:14:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Pueblo is an odd place. I can’t put my finger on it but it’s just strange.

That’s all I have to offer sorry.
View Quote

It’s scary how much it reminds me of low income areas of western PA. I feel at home driving through.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 6:59:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It's scary how much it reminds me of low income areas of western PA. I feel at home driving through.
View Quote
grew up in GJ so pueblo also feels like home.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 8:32:00 AM EDT
[#13]
For living, stay out of the City of Pueblo.

Pueblo West is better, but real estate is FUCKING crazy. (But where isn't?)
Crime is increasing anywhere around the trailer park area.
The internet sucks everywhere but around the golf course....

Canon City is cool, but it's a very clique-ish town. They dont call it 'Klanyon City' for nothing.
The real estate is more reasonable.

Penrose and Florence are interesting. You can buy 5-10 acres pretty reasonable as well, and have a quick
commute up 115 to Springs, or down Hwy 50 to Pueblo.  

Dont know about the internet situation in Fremont County.

Link Posted: 3/24/2021 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Further north in Springs you get the better generally. There are a few pockets of sketch well north of Platte, and some very nice areas to the west and south of Platte though, so best to lay eyes on something before committing to it.  I live in a mostly working class hood (avg house price 350ish), no HOA. Internet, I have always had decent service with 7-10 ms ping times when everything is hardlined and set up correctly.

Pueblo West is the only part of Pueblo I'd consider living in, or a rural part of Pueblo county or the foothills nearby. I have a family cabin in Rye about 30" away and it's a decent area, Beulah is nice too. Gets pretty toasty in the summer though, A/C is a must IMO.

I have looked at some jobs in Pueblo myself, my main concern is there is basically one main route between Co Springs and Pueblo, I-25. There's a couple ways around but they take forever. So if I had a job there, I'd rather live there or south or west of Pueblo.

As far as fast and reliable internet in other areas goes, if you can't get Comcast/Xfinity (aka Communistcast if you want to sound like a local), or Century Link for internet (you can search addresses from their websites btw), you should be very concerned. There are a handful of legit rural providers and some smaller telecom outfits in the cities too, but if you can't get fiber or copper to where you're at the other options are all costly and suck bigly. I know, my dad lives in an area that has no copper or fiber, satellite sucks less than the fixed wireless service they had before, but only just. I repeat, fixed wireless, cell based wireless, and satellite are awful and costly.

If you do end up coming to the area, welcome, and please help us fight the morons at the ballot box every chance you get.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 8:58:42 PM EDT
[#15]
That is a good point about the internet. But I think it comes down to what you want. West Pueblo can be OK if you want the city feel. Otherwise the area is cheaper than the Denver metro which is out of control on the housing prices and pending gun bans. If I was looking down there, I would buy in Fremont and get the Elon Musk internet. I got an email about it the other day. Its available out here. I have had enough of the CO burbs and could use some space from the crazy that is now the Front Range. Truthfully, I would stay in Texas unless I could get a mini ranch at least. This place is getting crazy with all the people.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 1:57:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Secom WiFi in Canon is pretty good if you have line of sight to one of the towers.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 11:03:39 AM EDT
[#17]
If you are working in pueblo, Canon City isn't bad at all depending on what area you are in. If I had a remote position, I'd live in Canon for sure. And there's a range there which goes out to 1 Mile (members only, but should be able to get on board).

COS to Pueblo I-25 has a section known for wrecks. Highway 115 can be dicey too.

If you want to stay more north, south Fountain and areas like that might be a good option. I wouldn't live in Springs proper, personally.

Link Posted: 4/5/2021 3:04:09 AM EDT
[#18]
We moved to Cañon from Denver about 20 years ago.  Spectrum Internet, not terrible. Rarely snows, this is the banana belt.  50 is OK, 115 gets a little dicey at times.  between state, local and federal, we have 13 prisons.  Big DOC population. Not a lot of liberals. Once out of town, you're in the middle of nowhere. Decent small city shopping. There IS a WalMart. Just don't tell anybody about us.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:23:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Just found out the bakery outlet in Pueblo is closed.  Best buy I ever got there was four bags of English muffins for $1.  Springs is supposed to have two but I never been to either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top