Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/28/2021 1:13:25 PM EDT
Taxes ? tags ? moving in cars from out of state ? South Alabama ? Places to avoid around the state beside the big cities ? Carry permits?  The house is in South Alabama, over 40 acres and no close neighbors. We have a closing date. Moving in has started as has some renovation work. I need a tile guy in L.A. as well as at least a few minutes of an electrical guy to pick his brain.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 2:36:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Taxes ? tags ? moving in cars from out of state ? South Alabama ? Places to avoid around the state beside the big cities ? Carry permits?
View Quote
No Income taxes

South AL = hot and humid.  Close to beaches though.

CCW permits are shall issue; <30 days unless they find out you're a prohibited person

Retagging cars = DMV visit = agony contest (pretty much the same in any state I'd imagine)

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 4:16:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks how is the northeastern area ?  I have been up there a few times and enjoyed it
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 8:19:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks how is the northeastern area ?  I have been up there a few times and enjoyed it
View Quote

I’d look around Ft. Payne. Avoid most of Gadsden and most of Anniston.

Collinsville and Crossville have large Hispanic populations as well as drugs. The locals call that area Meth Mountain.

Boaz, Albertville, and Guntersville are nice, just need to look at the area you’re moving to.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 8:51:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

NE AL is Jackson county.  Has more caves than any other county in the US.

Very rural, largest city is Scottsdale IRC.  Not a whole lot of heavy industry but there is some, mainly around the defunct Bellefonte nuclear power plant.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 8:52:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Scottsboro
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 9:15:53 PM EDT
[#6]
For vehicle tags....  I have a 2010 Altima as a DD and a 2007 F150 FX4 as the HD/Lowes truck.  Combined the tags are less than $250 a year.  

Property taxes are where you will save the most in AL.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 9:20:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I’d look around Ft. Payne. Avoid most of Gadsden and most of Anniston.

Collinsville and Crossville have large Hispanic populations as well as drugs. The locals call that area Meth Mountain.

Boaz, Albertville, and Guntersville are nice, just need to look at the area you’re moving to.
View Quote

Boaz, Albertville, and Guntersville also have large Hispanic populations. Good luck if you have to drive through that section of 431.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:33:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Boaz here and I enjoy the area, all of the many Hispanics I personally know are hard working and family oriented. I travel an hour Southeast for work daily and I’m not fond of Gadsden and beyond on 431 or 77.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:38:36 AM EDT
[#9]
You have to choose between being an Alabama Football fan or an Auburn Football fan.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:39:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Income taxes

CCW permits are shall issue; <30 days unless they find out you're a prohibited person

Retagging cars = DMV visit = agony contest (pretty much the same in any state I'd imagine)

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Taxes ? tags ? moving in cars from out of state ? South Alabama ? Places to avoid around the state beside the big cities ? Carry permits?
Income taxes

Montgomery and South="Hot and Humid".
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:49:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You have to choose between being an Alabama Football fan or an Auburn Football fan.
View Quote
What if I pick neither. I have yet to meet the Bama fan that went to school there. I do hope Auburn can hire a new quarterback and get back to their former glory.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:23:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What if I pick neither. I have yet to meet the Bama fan that went to school there. I do hope Auburn can hire a new quarterback and get back to their former glory.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m not a Bama or Auburn fan either but I hear this same thing all the time and 99% of the time it’s coming from someone who didn’t play football so there’s two sides to that I suppose.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:49:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

No you don't.

Daughter graduated AL; son graduated Auburn.  DGAS either way.  FNS and his Burn Loot Murder knee taking.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:00:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you move here (like I did 25 years ago from south GA) I want to see the surprise on your face when the property taxes on your new Alabama home are cheaper than the taxes you paid on your cheapest car in Georgia.  Sales tax, now that's a different story.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:29:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you move here (like I did 25 years ago from south GA) I want to see the surprise on your face when the property taxes on your new Alabama home are cheaper than the taxes you paid on your cheapest car in Georgia.  Sales tax, now that's a different story.
View Quote
Ga. is closing the gap fast on sales taxes. The republicans love taxes
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 6:43:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Hang fire....
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 6:47:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
I grew up in South GA, I only go back to see the family for holidays and funerals.  Will never live there again.

And brakeman nails it on the property taxes.  ~$800/year on 1500 square feet / $150k (as appraised in 2015), and I am technically in the HSV City limits even though I go through Madison to get to Research Park every weekday.  Property insurance is a different story.  Thanks to the love that tornados show this area my homeowners insurance has tripled in ~15 years, with no claims...

Sales tax in most of HSV is 9%.  At Larry's West off of 565 it's 10.5% since they are in HSV and Limestone County.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 7:05:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I’m not a Bama or Auburn fan either but I hear this same thing all the time and 99% of the time it’s coming from someone who didn’t play football so there’s two sides to that I suppose.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You must know a Lot of Football players because it's more like 99.95% that never played football.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 7:35:08 PM EDT
[#19]
What’s up with the whiskers avitar?
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 7:36:01 PM EDT
[#20]
I played and graduated for the team I pull for.

Go Blazers
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:58:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Go Blazers
View Quote
FWIW, I don't pull for either of the AL teams.  That being said, one of my guys at work has a son that plays for UA currently. The guy at work and his wife have raised some amazing kids, I credit the mom as I know the dad :) , (3 full rides with a masters degree and an engineering included.  The other degree is in process).

Coach, which Blazers?  Only reason I ask is I saw a VSU bus at a gas station this afternoon, in Madison....
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 7:32:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
FWIW, I don't pull for either of the AL teams.  That being said, one of my guys at work has a son that plays for UA currently. The guy at work and his wife have raised some amazing kids, I credit the mom as I know the dad :) , (3 full rides with a masters degree and an engineering included.  The other degree is in process).

Coach, which Blazers?  Only reason I ask is I saw a VSU bus at a gas station this afternoon, in Madison....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go Blazers

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 7:57:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You must know a Lot of Football players because it's more like 99.95% that never played football.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was referring to the non-football players that get bent out of shape over the non-alumni pulling for their school.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 10:48:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What’s up with the whiskers avitar?
View Quote
It has been this way for years.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 2:40:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Is there open carry ? Not looking to do it but was wondering ? Is the carry permit good to avoid the 4473 background check? I have a lot of good Alabama jokes that are going to have to convert to Mississippi.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 3:44:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Is there open carry ? Not looking to do it but was wondering ? Is the carry permit good to avoid the 4473 background check? I have a lot of good Alabama jokes that are going to have to convert to Mississippi.
View Quote

Yes for open carry.

No for carry permit to avoid 4473. There was a short time, but a sheriffs office FUBAR’d it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 4:31:26 PM EDT
[#28]
A large part of my family is from the Clay/Randolph area (right on the line)
Always thought if  I moved back to Alabama it would be that area or north to the Tennessee line or just over. Weird how for 200+ years one side of my daily has went back and forth between there and the troup/heard county area

There’s a shit  ton of people who work at Kia then drive back to Alabama here (chambers/Randolph/lee county)
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 10:53:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Started looking more south lately.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 5:25:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most fan bases of any school have fans that didn’t attend.  Your favorite college football team is in a good place when that argument comes out.  The University of Alabama was my first choice of schools I wanted to attend, but I couldn’t afford to make it happen.  Guess I should have thrown away things I collected as a child and teenager and quit following them when I enrolled at USA.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 10:50:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Most fan bases of any school have fans that didn’t attend.  Your favorite college football team is in a good place when that argument comes out.  The University of Alabama was my first choice of schools I wanted to attend, but I couldn’t afford to make it happen.  Guess I should have thrown away things I collected as a child and teenager and quit following them when I enrolled at USA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I’m with you, same situation for me but with another school. Every time I hear someone that’s alumni from a particular school complain about non-alumni pulling for their school, I tell them that it would be awesome if the school never saw a dime of any of the merchandise licensing money that’s made off of those same people.

Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:08:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Updated the OP. Made an offer.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:58:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Updated the OP. Made an offer.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
On a house in way down south Alabama. Over 40 acres
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 2:11:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Excellent, I hope that they accept your offer.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 3:14:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Excellent, I hope that they accept your offer.
View Quote
As do I.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 11:03:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 3:07:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Where at in South Alabama? I’m in Troy which is about 45 min from Montgomery.
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 2:28:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Where at in South Alabama? I’m in Troy which is about 45 min from Montgomery.
View Quote
South of you along the border. They have not accepted yet. I am expecting a counter offer.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#40]
They countered and we countered and they had a second offer for more money and a lot of contingencies. They took that offer. We will see
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 9:03:02 AM EDT
[#41]
I prefer the Northern half of the State. Up around the Tn river is a beautiful area. There is a very different topography in South Alabama, it is the "flat Alabama" that most people envision when they think of Alabama. The foothills of the Appalachian chain starts in the B'ham area at Tannehill state park. The State begin to flatten out South of this area. A lot of south Al. has sandy soil. Close to the beach, though.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 1:11:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I prefer the Northern half of the State. Up around the Tn river is a beautiful area. There is a very different topography in South Alabama, it is the "flat Alabama" that most people envision when they think of Alabama. The foothills of the Appalachian chain starts in the B'ham area at Tannehill state park. The State begin to flatten out South of this area. A lot of south Al. has sandy soil. Close to the beach, though.
View Quote
We started out looking around Huntsville and Scottsboro. Them we moved our search south to be closer to the beach. They accepted our offer after the first buyer added more contingencies to their offer.  We are now close to living in Alabama. The big problem is I have all of these perfectly good Alabama jokes.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 8:13:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

We started out looking around Huntsville and Scottsboro. Them we moved our search south to be closer to the beach. They accepted our offer after the first buyer added more contingencies to their offer.  We are now close to living in Alabama. The big problem is I have all of these perfectly good Alabama jokes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those are now Mississippi jokes.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 2:03:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Those are now Mississippi jokes.
View Quote
That is kind of what I figured. Waffle house jokes stay the same though.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 10:46:32 PM EDT
[#45]
When you moving?

All the cool kids live in Alabama....
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 4:11:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
When you moving?

All the cool kids live in Alabama....
View Quote
No idea yet. I am still waiting on stuff from them and closing is over a month away at best.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 2:14:30 PM EDT
[#47]
42.24 acres according to the survey with another 3 acres of deeded easement
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 2:44:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
42.24 acres according to the survey with another 3 acres of deeded easement
View Quote

And now we have land for an official AL HTF meet, shoot, or an Arfcom regional meet up.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 4:47:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

And now we have land for an official AL HTF meet, shoot, or an Arfcom regional meet up.
View Quote
Give me a chance to get a range set up
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 11:04:38 PM EDT
[#50]
welcome to the area. the only downside is the heat. it gets ruff at times but most adjust to it.
we are  down along the Florida border too so feel free to ask any questions you have
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top