Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2021 6:26:12 PM EDT
Almost moved over to Montana in late 2019. Ultimately decided it would be better to stick it out here in Eastern Washington to get my wife some experience in her new career without the big move thrown in. Coming up on 2 years and it's now time to make that move. We're looking forward to raising our family in a State that more closely resembles America.

We recently traveled over to Billings for my wife's grandfather's belated wake. Decided to take a circuitous route through Helena, Great Falls and Lewistown. Helena wasn't much to look at. Great Falls seemed like it had potential. But as we got closer to Lewistown I was kinda blown away. Her grandpa was born there and I thought it would be good for everyone to see where he was from. Man I flat fell in love with the country out that way! I thought it would be all scrub brush, but I was pleasantly surprised by the diversity (<<<dang word almost leaves a bad taste in your mouth these days) of the area. Didn't seem like there was much in the way of rivers and lakes up there, but I think I could deal with it.

Anyhow we want to get over into Montana, and we had previously wanted to end up near Red Lodge or up somewheres around Flathead, but now I think the goal is to get over near Lewistown. But for now we're just going to try to find her a good fit somewhere and get Montana bound and out of here. Which brings me back to the point of this thread.

TL;DR
What do you have to say about Ravalli County? Job we're looking at is in Hamilton. From my searches it looks like real estate there is inflated about like everywhere else, seems like proximity to Missoula might have something to do with it?

Have the commies been contained in Missoula? We saw some tent city type stuff when we drove through there, what's up with that?

Assume there's plenty of places to shoot, hike, fish, and hunt?

Appreciate your input,
Roy
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 6:33:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Missoula is a liberal shithole and it is full of all that comes with it - the homeless population, for example. That shit is pretty much contained in Missoula County. Ravalli County went something like 70% for Trump in the last election. The sheriff is a good dude who refused to enforce the mask mandate last year. You could almost forget COVID existed for the past year, save for a few isolated businesses that required masks.

This ought to give you a good idea

Plenty of shooting spots. Good hunting in the valley is mostly on private property, so make some friends. There are certainly plenty of hunting opportunities on public land, but you will have plenty of other hunters keeping you company, and far less game between you.

Link Posted: 8/25/2021 6:49:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Housing is inflated, and scarce to some degree depending on where, all over Montana.  Rentals or to buy.  Heck my house has almost doubled in price the last two years.  My parents place has at least doubled to tripled.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 6:53:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Missoula is a liberal shithole and it is full of all that comes with it - the homeless population, for example. That shit is pretty much contained in Missoula County. Ravalli County went something like 70% for Trump in the last election. The sheriff is a good dude who refused to enforce the mask mandate last year. You could almost forget COVID existed for the past year, save for a few isolated businesses that required masks.

This ought to give you a good idea

Plenty of shooting spots. Good hunting in the valley is mostly on private property, so make some friends. There are certainly plenty of hunting opportunities on public land, but you will have plenty of other hunters keeping you company, and far less game between you.

View Quote

Thanks. I figured there wouldn't be much to worry about, but never hurts to ask.

I'm already getting excited. We just paid up for all of her licensing and after we get her resume updated we'll apply for that job and see how it shakes out.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 7:00:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Housing is inflated, and scarce to some degree depending on where, all over Montana.  Rentals or to buy.  Heck my house has almost doubled in price the last two years.  My parents place has at least doubled to tripled.
View Quote

Not sure what we'll do on that front. We may only end up at our first place a year. We just don't really anticipate finding the perfect job on the first try. I'm thinking rental or a big fifth wheel, unless we just luck into something.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 7:19:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Not sure what we'll do on that front. We may only end up at our first place a year. We just don't really anticipate finding the perfect job on the first try. I'm thinking rental or a big fifth wheel, unless we just luck into something.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There really aren't many rentals available. A big fifth wheel is probably your best bet.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 11:35:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I’m headed to Hamilton from eastern Washington today, unfortunately just for a visit. I grew up there, still have property and family all around. We love it there and would move over in a minute if it was feasible. The home prices are what they are but the lack of jobs in our industries doesn’t make it possible yet. There’s just a different feel, even with the liberalization that is happening.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 2:17:14 AM EDT
[#7]
And this is why I love Montana over Washington

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 6:56:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I’m headed to Hamilton from eastern Washington today, unfortunately just for a visit. I grew up there, still have property and family all around. We love it there and would move over in a minute if it was feasible. The home prices are what they are but the lack of jobs in our industries doesn’t make it possible yet. There’s just a different feel, even with the liberalization that is happening.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's rough. Know where you want to be, but just gotta stay where you're at and keep your nose to the grind stone. I feel your pain.

Yeah, that's not helping . Every time I see people lackadaisically riding around in side by sides or on quads on the street I smile and think of how awesome that would be.  

My eyes are already glazed over at this early stage in the game, I want out of here so bad I can taste it. So much so that I don't feel much guilt at all over the thought of cutting and running from the sinking ship that is Washington State. I really just don't want to feel like we're behind enemy lines anymore.

Link Posted: 8/27/2021 9:20:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's rough. Know where you want to be, but just gotta stay where you're at and keep your nose to the grind stone. I feel your pain.

Yeah, that's not helping . Every time I see people lackadaisically riding around in side by sides or on quads on the street I smile and think of how awesome that would be.  

My eyes are already glazed over at this early stage in the game, I want out of here so bad I can taste it. So much so that I don't feel much guilt at all over the thought of cutting and running from the sinking ship that is Washington State. I really just don't want to feel like we're behind enemy lines anymore.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're going to feel freer than you ever have.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 4:55:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been  here for almost  2 months.   I used to  think I was "free" in Eastern  North Carolina.   Boy was I wrong!!  I LOVE  it here!!

Link Posted: 8/28/2021 8:00:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Real estate pices have no relationship to any proximity to Missoula.  

Different parts of the Valley (aka Bitterroot) (both in Missoula and Ravalli Counties) vary in prices based on their characteristics and idiosyncracies. ?

Prices have gone up mainly due to the recent influx of people migrating from other locations, from various reasons. And, some parts of Ravalli Co. have attracted the "rich" (The Stock Farm & Darby) which have increased real estate prices more than other parst of the Valley.

The Missoula city govt may be dominated by the Dems, although more conservatives are on the city council now, but to say it's a liberal shithole is a gross exageration.  Once you get here and check Missoula out you'll have a chance to form your own position on it.

And Ravalli County has it's share of problems and issues.

My .02
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 9:22:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Different parts of the Valley (aka Bitterroot) (both in Missoula and Ravalli Counties) vary in prices based on their characteristics and idiosyncracies. ?

Prices have gone up mainly due to the recent influx of people migrating from other locations, from various reasons. And, some parts of Ravalli Co. have attracted the "rich" (The Stock Farm & Darby) which have increased real estate prices more than other parst of the Valley.

The Missoula city govt may be dominated by the Dems, although more conservatives are on the city council now, but to say it's a liberal shithole is a gross exageration.  Once you get here and check Missoula out you'll have a chance to form your own position on it.

My .02
View Quote

It’s all relative. If you’re just coming from Washington, Missoula is still probably a breath of fresh air. But if you live down the valley and only ever go to Missoula once in awhile, it’s a liberal shithole. Most people I know try to avoid going to Missoula because of it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 10:18:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My .02
View All Quotes
Quoted:

My .02

I didn't necessarily mean 'liberal shithole', but I was certainly surprised to see the little tent encampments when we rolled through.

Quoted:

It’s all relative. If you’re just coming from Washington, Missoula is still probably a breath of fresh air. But if you live down the valley and only ever go to Missoula once in awhile, it’s a liberal shithole. Most people I know try to avoid going to Missoula because of it.

I would be no exception to that rule.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 12:46:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I didn't necessarily mean 'liberal shithole', but I was certainly surprised to see the little tent encampments when we rolled through.
View Quote

There is a professional transient problem that the city/county is working on various options to address.  The city/county don't seem to realize that providing amenities for that part of society (transients) can attract more. True homeless folks, due to economic hardship, should get some help as those in Ravalli Co do.

Ravalli Co has homeless/transients also, and if you haven't noticed them you're not looking very hard. Ravalli Co. also has the same drug problems that are just about everywhere.

One can easily ignore the tent encampments and pan-handlers going "everywhere" through "town" (Missoula).

Lastly, considering the heavy daily traffic up & down Hwy 93, year-round, of folks going to Missoula for work and/or shopping clearly indicates that folks in the Bitterroot/Ravalli Co. aren't avoiding Missoula. Some of the heaviest traffic in the state in on Hwy 93, and the vast majority are Bitterroot commuters.

I guess if you don't want to ever go to Missoula for shopping, entertainment, airline flights or medical care that's your choice.

BTW, the ANTIFA clowns that visited last summer were contained downtown for 2 days and when they found no fertile ground for causing trouble they left, and that's in Demo controlled Missoula vs. the chaos that occurrd in Seattle & Portland. So that says something that the city govt didn't want those low-lifes to cause riots in Missoula.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 1:56:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I love it here
Attachment Attached File

The dog loves it here
Attachment Attached File

And this is just freaking awesome
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 7:26:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

There is a professional transient problem that the city/county is working on various options to address.  The city/county don't seem to realize that providing amenities for that part of society (transients) can attract more. True homeless folks, due to economic hardship, should get some help as those in Ravalli Co do.

Ravalli Co has homeless/transients also, and if you haven't noticed them you're not looking very hard. Ravalli Co. also has the same drug problems that are just about everywhere.

One can easily ignore the tent encampments and pan-handlers going "everywhere" through "town" (Missoula).

Lastly, considering the heavy daily traffic up & down Hwy 93, year-round, of folks going to Missoula for work and/or shopping clearly indicates that folks in the Bitterroot/Ravalli Co. aren't avoiding Missoula. Some of the heaviest traffic in the state in on Hwy 93, and the vast majority are Bitterroot commuters.

I guess if you don't want to ever go to Missoula for shopping, entertainment, airline flights or medical care that's your choice.

BTW, the ANTIFA clowns that visited last summer were contained downtown for 2 days and when they found no fertile ground for causing trouble they left, and that's in Demo controlled Missoula vs. the chaos that occurrd in Seattle & Portland. So that says something that the city govt didn't want those low-lifes to cause riots in Missoula.
View Quote

I've driven by Missoula on I-90 a bunch. I've stopped there for lunch maybe twice. This last time through my 4 month old son needed to be fed and Missoula was the place that happened. Never been south of there. Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 9:08:11 PM EDT
[#17]
We’re back in eastern Washington now. This place sucks. I swear as soon as you go over the pass you get in a worse mood.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 8:33:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We're back in eastern Washington now. This place sucks. I swear as soon as you go over the pad you get in a worse mood.
View Quote
It happens  when one is oppressed.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 4:16:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Just got in to Hamilton. What should I make sure we do/see while we are here? Leaving Friday.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 6:14:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 12:21:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Grab a beer and some food at Bitter Root Brewing.

Blodget is good although I have some other canyons I prefer that have less people (Sawtooth)

Go walk down the river, fish if you are into that.

Tour around downtown and just take it all in as a better place to be.

Oh and while you're there if you can go light a match on the fallen down shed that is next to our property that would really help all the neighbors out
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 8:15:37 PM EDT
[#22]

That was a good little hike, thanks for the suggestion. My 5 year old made it all the way up and down, but I carried the 3 year old most of the way.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 8:21:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Grab a beer and some food at Bitter Root Brewing.

Blodget is good although I have some other canyons I prefer that have less people (Sawtooth)

Go walk down the river, fish if you are into that.

Tour around downtown and just take it all in as a better place to be.

Oh and while you're there if you can go light a match on the fallen down shed that is next to our property that would really help all the neighbors out
View Quote

We went to Naps(?) last night (excellent btw) and tonight we had Yukon Jax (again excellent). Now we're going to sit by the bon fire at the 'cabin' we rented, and search for properties online to go look at. We've only looked at a couple so far and they were a bust. Kind of immaterial anyhow until we find employment, but I still want to know what's out there.

I don't think I should make one of my first acts in the area an arson , but I think I understand your plight
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 10:38:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That was a good little hike, thanks for the suggestion. My 5 year old made it all the way up and down, but I carried the 3 year old most of the way.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/472704/temp_imag_jpg-2120822.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/472704/temp_imag_1__jpg-2120823.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/472704/temp_imag_jpg-2120822.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/472704/temp_imag_1__jpg-2120823.JPG

Awesome! Glad you made it. That’s probably the best easy hike in the valley.

Also check out Higher Ground Brewery and order a Thai Pie.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 11:28:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Now that I think about it I would bet Blodget was the first hike my parents ever took me on when I was probably 2 or 3 back in the 80's.

My cousin is on the lookout for something not stupid expensive up any of the canyons for us but that type of property just doesn't exist unless you inherit into it. Right now my plan is to work another 20 years, sell everything and retire in a tiny house / one room shack over there.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 4:30:03 PM EDT
[#26]
We have relatives that live in Meagher County, and I really like the area.  We were visiting for my Nephews wedding back in June and explored the area with several long road trips.   I like the remote feeling and lack of neighbors who are literally  a few feet away.  We would like to move up there some day but the lack of employment and inflated housing market make that impossible at this time.  We'll escape to a free state some day.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 2:28:46 PM EDT
[#27]
My parents live in Hamilton. It’s very nice and I enjoy visiting.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 9:45:27 AM EDT
[#28]

Got engaged there thanks to suggestions on this forum.

Got up there early to avoid the crowds and had the top to ourselves.  It was an incredible moment.

That area is awesome.  We go every year and got married in Victor this past Summer. Like most, i'd love to live there some day.  People, scenery, recreation, all 10/10.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 2:45:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I detest that liberal shithole. Just getting off the interstate at a Missoula exit is enough to make my skin crawl.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 4:05:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I detest that liberal shithole. Just getting off the interstate at a Missoula exit is enough to make my skin crawl.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/26/2021 6:58:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Wife just had a decent call about the job in Hamilton. We've got some more interviews coming up in other areas of Montana, but I'm hoping Hamilton comes through with an acceptable offer soon. Figuring out housing would be the next hurdle, and boy does it look like a doozy. But I'd still prefer Ravalli County over most of the others where opportunities have presented themselves.

Link Posted: 10/27/2021 12:08:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Wife just had a decent call about the job in Hamilton. We've got some more interviews coming up in other areas of Montana, but I'm hoping Hamilton comes through with an acceptable offer soon. Figuring out housing would be the next hurdle, and boy does it look like a doozy. But I'd still prefer Ravalli County over most of the others where opportunities have presented themselves.

View Quote

Nice! Housing is definitely no joke though.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 9:59:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Contract signed! We'll be there just before Christmas! Going to rent for now, but my wife is open to the trailer idea even though she'd prefer to just do whatever it takes to buy a nice place ASAP. We very well may end up house poor, but we'll have a million dollar view so

Can I change my location to MT, or am I a little early
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 11:07:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Contract signed! We'll be there just before Christmas! Going to rent for now, but my wife is open to the trailer idea even though she'd prefer to just do whatever it takes to buy a nice place ASAP. We very well may end up house poor, but we'll have a million dollar view so

Can I change my location to MT, or am I a little early
View Quote

Congrats!
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 3:43:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Anyone have a good realtor in the area they'd like to suggest? I found a couple acres that backs up to Forest Service land that we'd love to build on. Seems I wouldn't even need a realtor since I found the place myself, but I'm hoping they'll be able to do more than just show us the plot. Builder contacts etc.

Thinking barndominium style would get us a roof over our heads the quickest. Having said that, I'd much rather do an ICF home build. I only found one listing that said the lot was under a covenant, but it didn't describe it. Be great if I could plunk down a big fifthwheel and deal with a single winter while the place gets built.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 10:40:05 AM EDT
[#36]
I’ll shoot a text out and see if there’s any recommendations.

Nice find if it’s not too over regulated as a covenant
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 1:15:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I’ll shoot a text out and see if there’s any recommendations.

Nice find if it’s not too over regulated as a covenant
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 8:19:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Anyone have a good realtor in the area they'd like to suggest? I found a couple acres that backs up to Forest Service land that we'd love to build on. Seems I wouldn't even need a realtor since I found the place myself, but I'm hoping they'll be able to do more than just show us the plot. Builder contacts etc.

Thinking barndominium style would get us a roof over our heads the quickest. Having said that, I'd much rather do an ICF home build. I only found one listing that said the lot was under a covenant, but it didn't describe it. Be great if I could plunk down a big fifthwheel and deal with a single winter while the place gets built.
View Quote

Getting a realtor won't cost you anything unless the land is FSBO. In Montana the buyer and seller realtors split the commission on a property. So you as a buyer won't pay anything for the help.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 8:46:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Alright, the Thai Pie is pretty dang good. Gal wanted our drink order and I asked for a Thai without looking at the menu.
Thanks for suggesting this place. Well my man pie just showed up

By the way I fricking love living in Montana!
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:37:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Alright, the Thai Pie is pretty dang good. Gal wanted our drink order and I asked for a Thai without looking at the menu.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top