Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2022 4:07:00 PM EDT
I've been offered a job in Sparks. I'm on the fence as to if I want to take it. I guess I'm  just trying to find out a little more about the place. What kind of outdoor activities do you guys have? What do things look like on the 2A front for Nevada? Whats your guys housing market look like? To me it looks a little on the high-end. Is there other areas closet Sparks that may be a little more affordable? And then, in general,  do you like living in that area?
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 7:49:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By eac223:
I've been offered a job in Sparks. I'm on the fence as to if I want to take it. I guess I'm  just trying to find out a little more about the place. What kind of outdoor activities do you guys have? What do things look like on the 2A front for Nevada? Whats your guys housing market look like? To me it looks a little on the high-end. Is there other areas closet Sparks that may be a little more affordable? And then, in general,  do you like living in that area?
View Quote

washoe county is woke as fuck. use to be better, lots of CA, WA OR and pretty much everyone left coastian has moved here over the past 2 years almost like a swarm.  sparks just hosted a drag queen storytime for kiddos! youll love it!  housing market is fucked, especially the idiots paying 630k (average house  in June) for cheap built houses.  gas is expensive, crime is way up, our gov is hella anti gun. theft is up as well.  as for outdoor activities  we have them, tons of BLM land to do whatever you want, shoot, hunt, fish, 4x4 trails, mountain biking, road biking, and so forth.  I see you are from WA,  I was stationed in tacoma for several years, I know your pain!  I am sure arashi will chime in and give his 2 sheckles.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Where are you in WA, may I ask?

I'm originally from Northern Nevada and currently live here, but I lived in the Greater Seattle Area for a while. Sparks has some nice areas if you can afford them, but I'm saddened to say that Reno has homelessness and traffic problems like Western Washington (though at a lower rate as far as I'm aware).
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:21:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NN300BLK:
Where are you in WA, may I ask?

I'm originally from Northern Nevada and currently live here, but I lived in the Greater Seattle Area for a while. Sparks has some nice areas if you can afford them, but I'm saddened to say that Reno has homelessness and traffic problems like Western Washington (though at a lower rate as far as I'm aware).
View Quote

I'm in Tacoma.  Its kind of looking like your guys housing market is just a touch my screwed than ours.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 8:27:32 AM EDT
[#4]

I'm in Tacoma.  Its kind of looking like your guys housing market is just a touch my screwed than ours.
View Quote

its no different here.......  you will only miss the seafood and thats about it. I sure dont miss the PNW except for the scuba diving, seafood, and homeless piss puddles and needles at  pikes (dykes) place market.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 1:53:52 PM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

Housing's gotten to be pretty high here lately.

In terms of climate, the Greater Reno Area is a high desert-- expect a little more snow and cooler winters and much hotter summers with much less humidity. Rain is an event here, not the norm. The drier climate also makes it more comfortable in cooler temperatures and warmer temperatures alike, but in the summer the 90-100+ F temperatures can be sweltering.

The other thing to keep in mind is that "Sparks" doesn't necessarily mean much in terms of the work location-- I believe that Panasonic and Tesla have a Sparks' address, but they are 40 minutes to an hour on an interstate away from Spanish Springs, which is where I would personally be looking for housing (if you can afford it).

Skiing and water sports are available at Lake Tahoe, which is probably an hour or two away depending on destination, traffic, and the route.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 5:19:43 PM EDT
[#6]

In terms of climate, the Greater Reno Area is a high desert-- expect a little more snow and cooler winters and much hotter summers with much less humidity. Rain is an event here, not the norm. The drier climate also makes it more comfortable in cooler temperatures and warmer temperatures alike, but in the summer the 90-100+ F temperatures can be sweltering.

The other thing to keep in mind is that "Sparks" doesn't necessarily mean much in terms of the work location-- I believe that Panasonic and Tesla have a Sparks' address, but they are 40 minutes to an hour on an interstate away from Spanish Springs, which is where I would personally be looking for housing (if you can afford it).

Skiing and water sports are available at Lake Tahoe, which is probably an hour or two away depending on destination, traffic, and the route.
View Quote

so no one likes my harsh  reality check? dont lie to the man, tell him the truth.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 6:18:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 47hooker:

so no one likes my harsh  reality check? dont lie to the man, tell him the truth.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 47hooker:

What wasn't accurate about what I said?

I said that housing has gotten high in the greater Reno-Tahoe area... and it has.

And... as I said in my first post, homelessness and traffic has gotten noticeably worse in the Reno-Sparks area... which it has.

Tacoma looks to be more affordable than the area that I lived in when I was in Washington (South of Everett), but from my seat at least and in the grand scheme of things both the Greater Seattle and Reno areas have problems with homelessness, higher housing costs, and congestion, which we both discussed-- OP might also be interested in the different climate, the relative location of potential employers to housing, and nearby outdoor activities.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 6:41:17 PM EDT
[#8]

What wasn't accurate about what I said?

I said that housing has gotten high in the greater Reno-Tahoe area... and it has.

And... as I said in my first post, homelessness and traffic has gotten noticeably worse in the Reno-Sparks area... which it has.

Tacoma looks to be more affordable than the area that I lived in when I was in Washington (South of Everett), but from my seat at least and in the grand scheme of things both the Greater Seattle and Reno areas have problems with homelessness, higher housing costs, and congestion, which we both discussed-- OP might also be interested in the different climate, the relative location of potential employers to housing, and nearby outdoor activities.
View Quote

no no, what I meant is, tell him the harsh truths aka the bad, all the bad that is happening here. think back 20 years , think then, think now think drag queen story time for sparks children. there is alot of BAD happening not only in this county but others.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:37:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Washoe is a complete shithole if you are trying to raise a family. School board is ran by woke lunatics. I would never send my kids to them.If you dont have kids,its a livable place as long as you dont mind funding such lunacy.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 8:49:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By StanleySpidowski:
Washoe is a complete shithole if you are trying to raise a family. School board is ran by woke lunatics. I would never send my kids to them.If you dont have kids,its a livable place as long as you dont mind funding such lunacy.
View Quote

thank you!  there are so much good here (things to do) but as for "living" unless you make 80k a year you cant afford shit, and you will live in lunacy, like he was saying if you have kids or plan on having kids dont come here.  its too bad that WA state is ran by  cunts like inslee. I wanted to  buy a place in vantage, ellensburg,  cle-elum, but nope. I came back to NV to shitty ass sissylack. Once my cans are approved  I am fucking out of here.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 1:20:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I like living in Sparks vs Reno but it’s all changed substantially and I don’t have kids so I know nothing about the schools.

The housing market is batshit crazy right now so make sure you have a realistic understanding of that before you commit. I live fairly close to I-80 in Sparks and bought 8 years ago and my house is probably really close to double what I paid so I couldn’t afford it if I were buying now. I done see how it can stay so high but even after nonstop building of houses and condos/apts for a decade the prices remain high.

The traffic has gotten worse but Depending on where you’re coming from it may not be an issue. Just do some research on the commute of what you’re looking at.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 11:03:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
I like living in Sparks vs Reno but it’s all changed substantially and I don’t have kids so I know nothing about the schools.

The housing market is batshit crazy right now so make sure you have a realistic understanding of that before you commit. I live fairly close to I-80 in Sparks and bought 8 years ago and my house is probably really close to double what I paid so I couldn’t afford it if I were buying now. I done see how it can stay so high but even after nonstop building of houses and condos/apts for a decade the prices remain high.

The traffic has gotten worse but Depending on where you’re coming from it may not be an issue. Just do some research on the commute of what you’re looking at.
View Quote

You pay taxes in Washoe. You have a say in the school board dealings whether you have kids or not. A lot of the folks that show up at the school board meetings are just concerned citizens,maybe you should become a concerned citizen. Now the 30c per gallon gas tax that goes directly to RTC,well,maybe it needs revisited.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:38:53 PM EDT
[#13]
All school info is local.  I've only experienced great things in my interactions with the staff at my kid's schools.   I don't follow the school board stuff, but my kids aren't getting a bunch of woke bs or anything.

2A stuff sucks here now, but most of the new stuff is blatantly unconstitutional and will be overturned.

Real estate market sucks and is completely overpriced, especially with the interest hikes.  Jobs don't pay enough here to support the prices.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:46:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By arashi:
All school info is local.  I've only experienced great things in my interactions with the staff at my kid's schools.   I don't follow the school board stuff, but my kids aren't getting a bunch of woke bs or anything.

2A stuff sucks here now, but most of the new stuff is blatantly unconstitutional and will be overturned.

Real estate market sucks and is completely overpriced, especially with the interest hikes.  Jobs don't pay enough here to support the prices.
View Quote

what do you think will be overturned
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:53:17 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 10:55:56 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote
The ghost gun ban for sure.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 4:55:58 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

I think the "2A stuff sucks here now" is a little subjective compared to WA state. In WA, don't you have to be 21 or older and take a training course to buy a semi-auto rifle? Didn't WA just ban the sale of "High" capacity (>10 round) magazines?
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 5:11:30 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Hope you’re right. The sales tax on transfers pissed me off but the no private sales really got me. Closer to California one day at a time.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 10:46:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Hope you’re right. The sales tax on transfers pissed me off but the no private sales really got me. Closer to California one day at a time.
View Quote

Is 1 in 5 licence plates still from CA?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top