Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2020 4:38:38 PM EDT
How many acres do you need to have to be able to shoot on your own land?  Are the any other requirements?  Distance form other houses, roads etc?
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 6:30:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in SC (on the NC line) so it will be different but down here out in the county (Lancaster county, here) you can't shoot across roads and you can't shoot toward a dwelling. Otherwise it is in you to ensure projectiles don't leave your property.

State laws are one thing, but county and local (if in a town) laws are often more restrictive. I just assume anywhere inside incorporated limits bans discharge of firearms. Even if the laws are accommodating, any of your neighbors can sue you (which costs lots of money to defend -- count your insurer out of that battle) and if they have photographs or video of something that looks patently unsafe or you are not considerate in making noise then you are in for a rough time.

I shoot at home on 5 acres but limit it to rimfire or centerfire pistol and use a suppressor whenever possible and only shoot suppressed rimfire after dark. Centerfire rifle, I'll take a shot now and then to get a velocity during load development but drive to the gun club (10 min away) for any sustained fire.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 7:23:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Every county has different laws, look up their website, might be able dig up some info.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 3:49:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m hoping to buy some land in an adjoining county in the next couple of years with the specific purpose of putting my own private range on it. I know laws are county specific on this issue but I too am interested.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 3:58:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How many acres do you need to have to be able to shoot on your own land?  Are the any other requirements?  Distance form other houses, roads etc?
View Quote
Generally speaking, whether you can shoot on your land is not defined by acreage. And from a practical standpoint that could vary tremendously depending on topography, distance, etc.

As a whole, shooting inside a cities "limits" is illegal generally speaking.

Distance(s) from roads, houses, etc. can vary a lot as well. State law usually prevails in the absence of county or local laws regarding discharge of a firearm (shooting). Start with the local governing authority and work your way up.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:16:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks all.  Good stuff so far.  It’s been a simple dream of mine to step onto my land and plink away some day.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 8:56:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Contact county government.

Most county governments publish county codes on line.

They will list all requirements for discharging a firearm.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 11:44:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Contact county government.

Most county governments publish county codes on line.

They will list all requirements for discharging a firearm.
View Quote
This is a popular municipal code hosting website that is used by many localities.

It might be helpful for some of the folks here.

Muni-code
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top