Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2021 6:41:49 PM EDT
Like title says, just got bitched out by 2 people at local store, employee and assistant manager, they made a big scene over my 6 pound shorkie, stopped in to get cat litter, they do not serve food to go.

In before dog daddy beotches

The look I got when I said the manager loved Dude and even checked out his website and said "he is cute"

So what law or laws I need to look at....

Pre ETA...yes I am an asshole
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:13:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Okay, found what I think was looking for under Fed. ADA...going to talk to owner about training their employees on what they can and can't do/ask....don't want folks fired. They just pissed me off...thanks Joe for the tension between dog and cray cray cat ladies...
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:58:49 PM EDT
[#2]
How is a 6 pound dog a service animal?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:34:52 PM EDT
[#3]
ADA definition of a service animal.....

“Service animals are defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. Examples of such work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person with mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, or performing other duties. Service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person’s disability. Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA....

...A service animal must be under the control of its handler. Under the ADA, service animals must be harnessed, leashed, or tethered, unless the individual’s disability prevents using these devices or these devices interfere with the service animal's safe, effective performance of tasks. In that case, the individual must maintain control of the animal through voice, signal, or other effective controls....

...When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, only limited inquiries are allowed. Staff may ask two questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform. Staff cannot ask about the person’s disability, require medical documentation, require a special identification card or training documentation for the dog, or ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task.”

I suspect state laws mimic Federal Regs.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:49:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Only issue I had is she:

Demanded to see his papers ( no,no by fed law)

And she ask what my disability was to need him ( also a no, no)

I had no issue leaving until they demanded those two questions be answered.

He is not a working,service dog...he is cute and an ass at times.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:50:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ADA definition of a service animal.....

...A service animal must be under the control of its handler. Under the ADA, service animals must be harnessed, leashed, or tethered, unless the individual’s disability prevents using these devices or these devices interfere with the service animal's safe, effective performance of tasks. In that case, the individual must maintain control of the animal through voice, signal, or other effective controls....

...When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, only limited inquiries are allowed. Staff may ask two questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform. Staff cannot ask about the person’s disability, require medical documentation, require a special identification card or training documentation for the dog, or ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task.”

I suspect state laws mimic Federal Regs.

View Quote

This is what they did...
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:14:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Like title says, just got bitched out by 2 people at local store, employee and assistant manager, they made a big scene over my 6 pound shorkie, stopped in to get cat litter, they do not serve food to go.
View Quote

What store? Petco? Krogers? Makes a HUGE difference as far as which store, IMO.

I LOVE dogs but they damn well don't belong in Wally World or Krogers. You're leaving out a LOT of info in the hopes of bullshitting some bullshitters, IMO.................  
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:00:54 AM EDT
[#7]
A dollar store that doesn't serve food.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:29:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A dollar store that doesn't serve food.
View Quote

They DO sell food such as bread & so forth. Not a store a dog needs to be taken into, IMO.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:46:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:24:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Only issue I had is she:

Demanded to see his papers ( no,no by fed law)

And she ask what my disability was to need him ( also a no, no)

I had no issue leaving until they demanded those two questions be answered.

He is not a working,service dog...he is cute and an ass at times.
View Quote

They can legally ask what task the animal preforms for you.

So I’m going to ask.

What task does the animal preform for you?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:08:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They can legally ask what task the animal preforms for you.

So I’m going to ask.

What task does the animal preform for you?
View Quote

He keeps the kitchen floor clean and he is cuddly

He IS NOT a service dog, that was not the issue, the issue was she was not trained and per the ADA she was not allowed to ask for his papers or what my disability was, period

Notice the highlighted text below

a) Public Facilities and Accommodations
Titles II and III of the ADA makes it clear that service animals are allowed in public facilities and accommodations. A service animal must be allowed to accompany the handler to any place in the building or facility where members of the public, program participants, customers, or clients are allowed. Even if the business or public program has a “no pets” policy, it may not deny entry to a person with a service animal. Service animals are not pets. So, although a “no pets” policy is perfectly legal, it does not allow a business to exclude service animals.

When a person with a service animal enters a public facility or place of public accommodation, the person cannot be asked about the nature or extent of his disability. Only two questions may be asked:

1. Is the animal required because of a disability?

2. What work or task has the animal been trained to perform?

These questions should not be asked, however, if the animal’s service tasks are obvious. For example, the questions may not be asked if the dog is observed guiding an individual who is blind or has low vision, pulling a person’s wheelchair, or providing assistance with stability or balance to an individual with an observable mobility disability.4

A public accommodation or facility is not allowed to ask for documentation or proof that the animal has been certified, trained, or licensed as a service animal. Local laws that prohibit specific breeds of dogs do not apply to service animals.5

A place of public accommodation or public entity may not ask an individual with a disability to pay a surcharge, even if people accompanied by pets are required to pay fees. Entities cannot require anything of people with service animals that they do not require of individuals in general, with or without pets. If a public accommodation normally charges individuals for the damage they cause, an individual with a disability may be charged for damage caused by his or her service animal.6

service and emotional support animals
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:35:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Just to make sure my mind is clear.

You acknowledge your dog is not a service animal.

Employees of a private business asked reasonable questions about your dog, which is not a service animal.

You are offended that the employees of a private business asked you about your dog, which is not a service animal.

You understand the laws restricting what questions may be asked about a service animal, which your dog is not.

You consider your pet to be covered under the ADA service animal regulations.

You want employees of a private business to apply ADA service animal regulations to your pet, although it is not a service animal.

Is this where we are?

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:18:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just to make sure my mind is clear.

You acknowledge your dog is not a service animal. Yup

Employees of a private business asked reasonable questions about your dog, which is not a service animal. They asked to see his papers, that is a no, no

You are offended that the employees of a private business asked you about your dog, which is not a service animal. Not offended

You understand the laws restricting what questions may be asked about a service animal, which your dog is not. Again, they should not ask for his papers or ask me what my disability is

You consider your pet to be covered under the ADA service animal regulations. Nope, just didn't want to leave him in the truck

You want employees of a private business to apply ADA service animal regulations to your pet, although it is not a service animal. Nope, they should of asked what he was trained for, I would of said he is not a service dog, they came out the gate with "Can I see his papers?"

Is this where we are? Kinda

View Quote

SO, like I said they assumed he was a service dog and 1st question out of their mouth was "Can I see his papers?"

I said "what papers?"

"The ones that say what he is trained for..."

I responded with he doesn't have papers

Next thing they said was "What is your disability?"

I told them they are not allowed to ask those questions and that it was against the law, so I left the buggy and walked out.

I never claimed or said he was a service dog, they Assumed

If I was disabled and in a bad mood, those two questions could of cost them a lot of wasted time and money...

more clear yet
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:25:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Attachment Attached File

This makes two of us
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top