Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 10/17/2023 8:14:21 PM EDT
Good Afternoon Iowa HTF,

I am a longtime member of the board, but not very active. I am an Army brat, who happened to settle on Washington State. This happened to be my father's last duty station, and I truly have liked the nature, beauty, and other aspects of the Pacific Northwest. He retired in the late 90s, and I have been out from, and keep coming back to, Washington.

However, the state has been repeatedly invaded by the Left coast, to the point that our gun laws are WORSE than California. Our legislators have failed miserably, and in my opinion, there is no excising of the liberal cancer. This combined with other health and family factors are leading my family to want to move away from all this garbage.

I don't possess any NFA items, but Washington in its wisdom declared half or so of my collection to be illegal. So I can keep them, but if something breaks, if I want to sell or give one as a gift, it is verboten.

So, I ask for your opinions/information. What, in your opinions, are the WORST gun laws you have to deal with in Iowa? I have seen some of the recent information about permitless carry which is a great win. What are the negatives, if any, that I should be aware of so I can weigh my options and make the best decisions.

Thanks in advance; I may end up being a neighbor before too long.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 8:47:11 PM EDT
[#1]
The Iowa Firearms Coalition has done an absolutely fantastic job advocating for our 2A rights in the capitol and have been very effective at moving positive legislation through the statehouse.

As far as "bad" gun laws....you still need either a permit to carry or permit to purchase a handgun. Carry permits are $50 for 5 years and shall issue, if you have one you can skip the NICS check and walk out with your gun from the gunstore.

Last year we weren't able to achieve codifying you vehicle as being an extension of your home thus allowing you to keep a firearm in your vehicle on company property that forbids guns on the premises.

No ownership or non-FFL transferable machine guns.

But thats about it. We could talk for much longer about how many great protections of the second amendment are law here in Iowa. Constitutional carry, SBR, SBS, Suppressors, stand your ground, right to carry in courthouses and the capital, state preemption of local gun laws so some liberal city cant pass an AWB.

I moved here from Illinois 6 years ago and even though the states are neighbors they couldnt be more different. I love living here. Iowa is not an exciting place, its not a place where the natural beauty is stunning like out west, Iowa is not a place people go to on vacation.....but it is a damn good place to live, work, and raise a family. I would encourage you to give Iowa serious consideration in your search.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 8:30:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As far as "bad" gun laws....you still need either a permit to carry or permit to purchase a handgun. Carry permits are $50 for 5 years and shall issue, if you have one you can skip the NICS check and walk out with your gun from the gunstore.
View Quote

I just want to clarify what he has said here.  My brain was a bit foggy this morning and his wording made me question myself.

He said you still need a permit to carry or permit to purchase a handgun then goes on to say by having this you can skip the NICS check.  That is correct.  But you do do not NEED a permit to carry or a permit to purchase in the state of Iowa. Those permits streamline the purchase portion and aid in reciprocity between other states.  

IFC as mentioned by Kalahnikid has done awesome work in the state.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 8:43:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I just want to clarify what he has said here.  My brain was a bit foggy this morning and his wording made me question myself.

He said you still need a permit to carry or permit to purchase a handgun then goes on to say by having this you can skip the NICS check.  That is correct.  But you do do not NEED a permit to carry or a permit to purchase in the state of Iowa. Those permits streamline the purchase portion and aid in reciprocity between other states.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, thank you for the clarification.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 9:29:14 AM EDT
[#4]
As others have said, other than machine guns (which I can't afford) Iowa is about as good as it gets.  There's a state law that preempts cities from enacting their own laws.   Range protection laws.  The permit process is about as simple as it gets and while not required are useful.

The gun show circuit is still quite good in this state as well.  Biggest problem is finding a place to shoot.  Very little public land in Iowa.  Most of the larger cities seem to have an indoor range or two (a fairly recent development).  Assorted clubs scattered around the state.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 10:48:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
As others have said, other than machine guns (which I can't afford) Iowa is about as good as it gets.  There's a state law that preempts cities from enacting their own laws.   Range protection laws.  The permit process is about as simple as it gets and while not required are useful.

The gun show circuit is still quite good in this state as well.  Biggest problem is finding a place to shoot.  Very little public land in Iowa.  Most of the larger cities seem to have an indoor range or two (a fairly recent development).  Assorted clubs scattered around the state.
View Quote

You do NOT need a permit to carry or purchase permit to buy a handgun.  You do not need a permit to carry, Iowa is a constitutional carry state.  Permit to carry gives you reciprocity in some other states that honor it.

Here's a map of 144 gun ranges to shoot at in Iowa, courtesy of IA Shooters.
IA Shooters Gun Range Map

Link Posted: 10/18/2023 4:51:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You do NOT need a permit to carry or purchase permit to buy a handgun.  You do not need a permit to carry, Iowa is a constitutional carry state.  Permit to carry gives you reciprocity in some other states that honor it.

Here's a map of 144 gun ranges to shoot at in Iowa, courtesy of IA Shooters.
IA Shooters Gun Range Map

https://i.imgur.com/bnuVvXc.jpg
View Quote

Just build a range in your backyard...problem solved.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 10:02:15 PM EDT
[#7]
If you're not a shithead move to Alta Vista. Tiny 200 person town, 3 towns within half an hour for shopping(groceries and such). Nice range 20 miles to the north. Free but membership is required.

Membership amounts to a liability waiver and a promise to follow the rules. Unsupervised and very well self policed.

The gun laws are pretty well covered, along with no machine guns, we can't have AOWs or destructive devices. If you really decide you want an AOW it can be re papered as a SBR/SBS though, then you can have a stock on it too.

ETA-the biggest headache is while IFC is still fighting for it we still don't have a parking lot law. An employer is still allowed to say you can't have your carry gun in your car on the property, so if you carry to and from work you could be risking your job.

They get closer to getting that fixed every year.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 12:03:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Outside of machine guns, it’s not the laws that are the problem.  The state has good laws and is trending the right way as opposed to states like Arizona, Colorado, Oregon and your Washington state to name a few.  The two issues I see are 1) no options to shoot long range and 2) holier than thou FUDDs.  Lots of deer and bird hunters, lots of pond fishermen.  Everyone talks exclusive about hunting private lands and fishing private ponds.  Brownells and Battlehawk armory are gtg, but I have not found enough gun love in Iowa.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 1:49:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Outside of machine guns, it’s not the laws that are the problem.  The state has good laws and is trending the right way as opposed to states like Arizona, Colorado, Oregon and your Washington state to name a few.  The two issues I see are 1) no options to shoot long range and 2) holier than thou FUDDs.  Lots of deer and bird hunters, lots of pond fishermen.  Everyone talks exclusive about hunting private lands and fishing private ponds.  Brownells and Battlehawk armory are gtg, but I have not found enough gun love in Iowa.
View Quote

I agree with all those assessments.

I belong to the Izaak Walton League in Ames and in my observation most range use is younger people on the pistol range and older guys shooting bolt action full power rifles on the rifle range. The last time I was there the only other guy at the range waddled over and said "I really like guns, whatcha got to shoot today?" I pulled out my DSA FAL and he asked "is that a 5.56 or a .223?"

Thought process: IT WAS THE RIGHT ARM OF THE FREE WORLD FOR THE ENTIRE COLD WAR!

Then I pulled out my AUG and he looked at it weird, didnt ask any more questions, and tried to talk to me about squirrel hunting for 20 minutes. I was polite but holy fuck I do not care.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 3:33:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I belong to the Izaak Walton League in Ames and in my observation most range use is younger people on the pistol range and older guys shooting bolt action full power rifles on the rifle range. The last time I was there the only other guy at the range waddled over and said "I really like guns, whatcha got to shoot today?" I pulled out my DSA FAL and he asked "is that a 5.56 or a .223?"

Thought process: IT WAS THE RIGHT ARM OF THE FREE WORLD FOR THE ENTIRE COLD WAR!

Then I pulled out my AUG and he looked at it weird, didnt ask any more questions, and tried to talk to me about squirrel hunting for 20 minutes. I was polite but holy fuck I do not care.
View Quote

You want to see grey hair come out to the trap and skeet range.  The trap shooters are literally dying off.  

Do you like the DSA?  I've had the FAL itch for a long time but man there is a lot of junk in that market.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 3:40:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Do you like the DSA?  I've had the FAL itch for a long time but man there is a lot of junk in that market.
View Quote

I like it, but it was an (expensive) impulse buy. Apparently there are some junk DSA FAL's in the world. Ive only put ~150 rds through it but it seems to run fine. I bought it used but I'd be surprised if the previous owner put more than 1 mag though it.

Also do some serious research on FAL mag availability and prices before you jump in. I didnt.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 5:08:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I like it, but it was an (expensive) impulse buy. Apparently there are some junk DSA FAL's in the world. Ive only put ~150 rds through it but it seems to run fine. I bought it used but I'd be surprised if the previous owner put more than 1 mag though it.

Also do some serious research on FAL mag availability and prices before you jump in. I didnt.
View Quote

Yeah, it's not a cheap platform to run.  I don't need one, I've got a perfectly good M-14.  But there's just something about the FAL that eats at me.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 11:19:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is part of why I hate the ranges near me.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 8:54:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Parking lot law, but the bigger one is school property.  I can live without going into the school buildings carrying for now (small steps).  But there is no reason for parking lots and green spaces surrounding to be prohibited areas.  You have to give up your constitutional rights to drop off or pick up your kid(s) at school.  Most schools force you to drive through their parking lot or an area they designate as "school property".  

Machine guns would be another along with destructive devices.  There was a sweet tank with a transferable 105mm cannon that was priced right last month online that would have been a great deal.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 9:31:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Walked through the Reiman Gardens pumpkin deal w/family last night.  One and done for that.  I've also heard grown men in Iowa say 223 vs "556" and also look at me confused when I've said 556.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 6:17:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Walked through the Reiman Gardens pumpkin deal w/family last night.  One and done for that.  I've also heard grown men in Iowa say 223 vs "556" and also look at me confused when I've said 556.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

223 , 224 whatever.   I helped stencil those pumpkins.  “Team Building Exercise”.  ??
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 7:54:34 AM EDT
[#17]
I asked my wife if they tasked the art students with making them and she told me it was volunteer submission on the pumpkins.  The pumpkins and are garden are nice, but the cattle chute setup and zero sweets for the kids until the pile up at the end is not nice.  They should also have some visible off-duty.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 6:34:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Just build a range in your backyard...problem solved.
https://i.imgur.com/hGiJIb4.jpg
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 12:26:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 12:42:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
For now I either just go to the farm or the property down at Rathbun to go shooting .22lr or stuff in 9mm or .45.  Anything larger than that I'll hold off shooting until I get a better back stop made down at Rathbun or at the farm.
View Quote

I have a bunch of ar500 steel targets waiting to setup my pistol/22lr range.  Suppressed and cpr value make it the overwhelming smart play at this time when no one adjacent to me appears to be into shooting and/or modern weapons.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top