Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2019 11:03:36 PM EDT
I got my last ccw class taken care of at Bill's in Circle Pines but now I'm due for another. Preferably something on the west side of the twin cities. Even better if it's on the west side of Minneapolis as I live in St Louis Park.

So who do you guys recommend? Anybody in particular stand out for their quality of training or if not that then their price?
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 12:09:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 11:13:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Total Defense up in Ramsey.  Its a bit north of the metro but should be mostly a straight shot north of SLP for the most part.  $69 I believe is what I paid last yera.  I thought the instructor did a really good job with the class.  My only rub was that I expected him to be a little more well versed on nuances of where you cannot carry.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 2:05:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Gun Permit Center

One of the instructors is an Arfcommer. Not sure if he wants to be identified so I won't.
Take the class and written test online and shooting test in person at Stock and Barrel in Chanhassen.
Best CCL experience that I've had.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 2:47:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Total Defense up in Ramsey.  Its a bit north of the metro but should be mostly a straight shot north of SLP for the most part.  $69 I believe is what I paid last yera.  I thought the instructor did a really good job with the class.  My only rub was that I expected him to be a little more well versed on nuances of where you cannot carry.
View Quote
I have done four classes, including the Bill's north and Total Defense.  Total Defense is a very good class.  My wife and I did the class about a year and a half ago and she was very impressed him them.  I would recommend them.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 10:22:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Gun Permit Center

One of the instructors is an Arfcommer. Not sure if he wants to be identified so I won't.
Take the class and written test online and shooting test in person at Stock and Barrel in Chanhassen.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 11:34:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
+1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gun Permit Center

+1
Thanks guys!

We're highly reviewed and always striving to do better
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 12:02:06 PM EDT
[#7]
A written test is not a requirement of MN PTC licensing.

Quoted:
Gun Permit Center

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 2:59:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Gun Permit Center

I'm pretty sure that the written test is to make sure that you actually took the online course. At least, that's what I was told when I renewed my permit through them.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 11:00:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all input!
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 1:01:10 PM EDT
[#10]
For real shooting orientated class Defensive Edge hands down.
There are many venues for taking the basics!
Some of the venues are worthless.  Telling war stories and shooting in the basement of a home with instructor provided handgun.
Buyer beware!
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 2:50:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Some of the venues are worthless.  Telling war stories and shooting in the basement of a home with instructor provided handgun.
Buyer beware!
View Quote
You mean the guy who does one pistol class in MN per year? Yeah, I don't think that's what anyone's looking for.

In fact checking their 2019 schedule...I don't see any pistol courses on the schedule except a 1911 Armoror's course.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 12:23:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Attachment Attached File

Class was decent and inexpensive. Classes held in Jordan.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 1:15:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Everyone has their own expectations for a class.
The VAST majority of classes provide nothing more than meeting the criteria set forth by the state.  And, then some instructors try and bend the rules by.....trying to get away with bb guns in motel rooms, airsoft guns, paint ball guns, and of course some are so full of themselves then do true disservice the shooting community!  And, some of the out spoken instructors are doing nothing but making themselves feel important.

BUYER BEWARE

And, the VAST majority of those taking PTC classes are not shooters!  That is evidenced by going to any local range!

And, the law does not require a person to practice, or even be proficient the manual of arms of a particular weapon! But that is not the job of a PTC instructor, either.

There are venues and instructors that do provide quality range exercises and people get one on one instructor.

There are not that many gifted shooters in the world.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 2:00:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 7:34:03 PM EDT
[#15]
If you have the dollars to spend, Larry Vickers will be in East Grand Forks in July.

Vickers tactical
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 10:24:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you have the dollars to spend, Larry Vickers will be in East Grand Forks in July.

Vickers tactical
View Quote
Looks great, but it's not a MN PTC class.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 2:30:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You mean the guy who does one pistol class in MN per year? Yeah, I don't think that's what anyone's looking for.

In fact checking their 2019 schedule...I don't see any pistol courses on the schedule except a 1911 Armoror's course.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buyer beware!

The frequencies of his classes are not correlated to their quality. All the courses i've taken from him (including handgun basics and PTC focused ones) were superb. You can always contact Defensive Edge and ask if they can fit in a private class.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 3:10:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The frequencies of his classes are not correlated to their quality. All the courses i've taken from him (including handgun basics and PTC focused ones) were superb. You can always contact Defensive Edge and ask if they can fit in a private class.
View Quote
I’ve no doubt his classes are excellent; I’ve never heard or read of anyone ever giving his instruction negative reviews, ever. I was more remarking about the lack of availability locally. Every time I’ve been in a position financially and time-wise to take an in-depth class, Defensive Edge was always the first placed I checked for probably close to a decade....and the classes were always either booked solid for the one or two per year locally, or there just weren’t any local classes at all. I gave up looking for one a few years ago. Not a knock against the instruction, but I guess there isn’t enough of a local market base to make it a consistent thing.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 11:22:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Looks like Sully/ Defensive Edge is offering a HG1 and Carbine Class this August. If you want the best firearms training in MN sign up
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 11:34:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Erik Pakieser with QSI Training. I strongly recommend taking his defensive pistol and advance defensive pistol courses after you get your carry permit.

http://www.qsitraining.net/
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 12:14:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yes, but that's hardly limited to firearms instructors.

Do you have a suggestion of one who is actually offering classes at this time?
View Quote
I do. One on one quals and weekly sessions available
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 9:20:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 11:15:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 11:47:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thanks for all input!
View Quote
Who did you go with, and what did you think, OP?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top