Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2022 1:44:21 PM EDT
I’m planning a trip in early 2023 to a family owned property in Riverside County, specifically La Quinta.  I completely understand that the area I’m going to is very safe but I may choose to bring a handgun.  I’m aware that I won’t be able to carry because Calif doesn’t have concealed carry reciprocity so it will just be going from the airport to the house in the locked transportation case and staying at the house until we leave taking it back to the airport unloaded and at the locked transportation case.

I main question I had was what handguns are legal for me to bring from outside the state into the state for this trip?  I know there have been state laws and court cases going back-and-forth over magazine capacity but I figured to avoid a debate at the airport over legality it would probably be best to stick with a single stack handgun with a capacity under 10 rounds?
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 7:05:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Keep it simple. Bring a handgun with 10 round mags and no threaded barrel and no handgun that the mag is outside the grip (AR pistols etc).

While traveling, handgun unloaded, mag can be loaded and next to the gun but not in the gun. Keep the handgun in a locked container, this can be a bag with a lock btw the zippers such as a back pack. Glove box is specifically excluded from "locked container." Otherwise the locked container can be under the drivers seat.

At the property you are free to ccw in the home.

Link Posted: 11/20/2022 8:23:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I doubt anyone at the departure airport cares what you might be traveling with.  If you follow the rules for checking it in, etc.  And they won't be inspecting anything at arrival.   Don't unpack it the luggage carousel and shove it your belt, you'll be fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top