Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/23/2019 10:04:44 AM EDT
March 6 update:  lack of local signups is forcing me to cancel; this to help those who signed up to change their plans for that weekend and cancel any travel arrangements.  I will try again in the fall.

February 10 update:  I spoke with the range, and we are going to do another event on 20/21 March.  20 March will be the night vision only event, and 21 March will be the low light event.  If you are interested, please email through the site, and we can go from there.

Based off the success of crossgun and his Ohio shoot, I thought I would post this here.

Just gauging to see what interest there might be in forming a group and venue for night vision users in the western NC area? Nothing at all too high speed but both low light and NV weapon drills, movement, transitions and some other cool things to help all of us up our game. No formal taught or hosted classes but more about providing a venue and location for like minded and equipped individuals to use their NV gear to its full advantage.  This is a chance to get your gear out of the safe, put it to use, and most importantly, shoot at night.

Ideally there would be a night for low light, and a second night for night vision only.  Depending on interest and number of sign ups.

We can do it almost any night in October or November, or both.  Probably weekend night(s) to get the most attendance.

I currently have a range near Old Fort that is willing, excited and very permissive to host these events.  Small range fee.

There will be a small vetting process as well but nothing that should have anyone interested concerned.

Interested parties please reply in the thread.  Again, gauging interest at this point.

Permission from the HTF mod.  I have no financial interest in this event.

Updates: Dates are set. 8-9 November.

Friday will be the low light shoot. Saturday night will be the night vision event.

If you are interested in attending either one or both, please email me through the site. I have a small questionnaire that I will have you complete so I can gauge what we will actually do.

This is exciting!  Thank you for the interest.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 9:04:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm interested in knowing more about the low light night.

I have a place near Charlotte, but I need to sell my Illinois house before I move officially.

Would this be a carbine focused event, or are other options like pistol, shotgun, bolt gun also welcome?
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 8:10:14 AM EDT
[#2]
This is something I definitely would drive a few hours to take part of, but I lack NODs of all varieties currently.

If someone is willing to bring along a second pair, I'd be happy to attend.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 8:32:41 AM EDT
[#3]
For the low light, it would be pistol and rifle.

If you don't have NODs, come to the low light event--it will still be worth it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 8:33:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I think the point of the low light event is to cater to the folks without night vision devices.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 8:36:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think the point of the low light event is to cater to the folks without night vision devices.
View Quote
Yes.  And to allow those with night vision gear to run that stuff solely on the night vision night.

Get those gizmos and doodads out of the safe and we will put them to use!
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 7:29:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Have weapon light, will travel.

I'll keep an eye out for more info regarding this event.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 2:44:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 4:18:30 PM EDT
[#8]
This is spooky, even for NV folks.

I just came here wanting to ask who had NVG that I could look thru and see in person what was a good setup.

Preferably something with white phosphorus vs traditional green but I can live with green.

We are getting to a ugly precipice in this country and I want to be able to see when others can't, when it hits.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 4:33:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I just came here wanting to ask who had NVG that I could look thru and see in person what was a good setup.

Preferably something with white phosphorus vs traditional green but I can live with green.

We are getting to a ugly precipice in this country and I want to be able to see when others can't, when it hits.
View Quote
Right now I don't plan to have any loaner type gear out there on the night vision night.

If you come to the low light event, I will have my NVG stuff, as I assume others might, and during a lull you can take a look through them then?

Probably the best way to get really good exposure would be to go to a class, such as TNVC's Nightfighter class, and rent their stuff.  They have it all, and you can see what you like, what you don't and how you would like to spend your money.

Hit me up on IM, and we can chat more there.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 9:54:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I checked out their classes, that would involve driving to Ohio.

As for a "loaner pair", I just meant a casual look thru, not like a library book I take home for a few weeks.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 2:25:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm interested. live near Raleigh but would make the drive to play with my pvs-14
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 9:08:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
@Spartanatheart - where are you in NC? I'm about to get a PVS-14 and if you're close to the Triad we could get together.

On topic - I'd be very interested in a class. All I would have to start with would be the -14's. No lasers or even IR lights. Would that be GTG for this, or would I need some of the other toys, too?
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 9:13:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

As for a "loaner pair", I just meant a casual look thru, not like a library book I take home for a few weeks.
View Quote
What part of the state are you located?
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 10:09:08 AM EDT
[#14]
I travel a lot thru the state, spend lots of time in High Point, Yadkinville, Stokes county...

I know Apex Defense Group has a good range for a low light NVG class if you have a silencer to match it since it’s after dark.

Good idea for you folks who can afford NOD’s that was suggested to me by legit SF contractor dude:

If you have a solar powered motion light, get an IR bulb for it that only you can see with your NOD’s. Everyone in the neighborhood is without power & your yard can be lit up with only you knowing it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 10:53:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
I will have them at the low light event, if you are interested in coming to that.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 10:54:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

@Spartanatheart - where are you in NC? I'm about to get a PVS-14 and if you're close to the Triad we could get together.

On topic - I'd be very interested in a class. All I would have to start with would be the -14's. No lasers or even IR lights. Would that be GTG for this, or would I need some of the other toys, too?
View Quote
I would say come--there will be more than just shooting at this event.

Also, we can maybe show you some techniques to use until you have a light/laser.  I assume you have a red dot on your carbine?  Handgun?
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 12:39:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I am in the Charlotte metro area, and I would be interested... Right now I have a range that I use a closed bay to do low light/NODs shooting but it is only 25 yard and I would love to stretch it out further. I've got a set of green TNVC Sentinels that I can bring out and let people look through and try out. Just let me know days!
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 1:12:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Also, we can maybe show you some techniques to use until you have a light/laser.  I assume you have a red dot on your carbine?  Handgun?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a red dot on my AR pistol with NV settings.

No red dot on my pistol.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 1:12:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I travel a lot thru the state, spend lots of time in High Point, Yadkinville, Stokes county...

I know Apex Defense Group has a good range for a low light NVG class if you have a silencer to match it since it’s after dark.

Good idea for you folks who can afford NOD’s that was suggested to me by legit SF contractor dude:

If you have a solar powered motion light, get an IR bulb for it that only you can see with your NOD’s. Everyone in the neighborhood is without power & your yard can be lit up with only you knowing it.
View Quote
A suppressor is on my list of things to get.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 5:29:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I have a red dot on my AR pistol with NV settings.

No red dot on my pistol.
View Quote
We can make that work with your carbine...
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 5:30:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Working with the range to finalize a date.  Probably the 2nd or 3rd weekend in November right now.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 10:47:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Out of curiosity, what is skill level going to be for this event? Are suppressors required with night vision?
Are you planning on a Fri-Sat schedule or a Sat-Sun schedule?

Thanks for putting this together.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 12:24:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Out of curiosity, what is skill level going to be for this event? Are suppressors required with night vision?
Are you planning on a Fri-Sat schedule or a Sat-Sun schedule?

Thanks for putting this together.
View Quote
I would probably put this into a basic-level skill piece.  But, with the addition of NODs and such, that brings the firearms handling skill level up a bit.  If that makes sense.  Once we mail out the sheet, it will help further explain our intentions for skill, equipment, etc.

Right now it will be a Fri-Sat thing.  Give guys Sunday to get back home, etc.

No need for suppressors--but if you have them, bring them.  It does make a difference.
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 6:21:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Bump with updates
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 10:23:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I will be interested in attending depending
the weekend chosen.

I just saw the posted dates in the OP.

Thanks!

John
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 11:26:41 AM EDT
[#26]
We have enough shooters with interest in the low light event to make that happen.  Looking for one more night vision shooter, and we can run both.  If not, we will most likely stick to the low light event on Saturday night.

Getting excited!
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:18:47 PM EDT
[#27]
I am game for night vision & low light.
I just cleared both evenings with the CEO!

PM sent.

John
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 7:09:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Damn this sounds fun.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 9:45:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Damn this sounds fun.
View Quote
Come on out!
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 2:52:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Heading to Charleston SC or I would. I’ve got all the gear too.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 9:24:17 PM EDT
[#31]
posting here fo redundancy:

my trusty j-arm seems to have discarded the spring underneath the release tab.
I'll rig up something for now but hoping someone attending has a spare.

I plan to be there both nights
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:34:56 AM EDT
[#32]
I gotcha covered!
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 10:12:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Great night last night.  Had 8 shooters.  Got in some good, basic drills, some movement and talked about TTPs / gear considerations for low light usage.

It was a fun, safe night.  Thank you for the all the support.

Working a 7m inside the bay.

Shooting from a barricade.  Target is 1/4 IPSC steel--a little over 50m away.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 11:48:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Great time last night.

Bill & Frank are great hosts!

John
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 12:05:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Even though I couldn’t make it to the first night, night 2 was fantastic. Really thankful for an opportunity like that to get out the gear and get a little bit of training under my belt. Thanks billpete!
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 7:23:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Thanks for the comments guys.

Last night went great!

4 shooters, and we were able to discuss some theory, TTPs, and then get out and shoot.

All in all, a great time, and I am looking forward to more events like this.

First time trying pictures through the PVS14.

Link Posted: 11/10/2019 8:39:27 AM EDT
[#37]

Disappointed that I let life get in the way of making this.

Need to do better to not let that happen for the next one.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 5:01:49 PM EDT
[#38]
it was a fun time indeed--thanks billpete for the time and putting on the class

I think I made every pic, so I'm basically famous now
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 12:02:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Awesome weekend!

Bill did a great job and we had a beautiful range to play on.

I am looking forward to more.

Keep us posted Bill!

John
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 4:38:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Looked like a good time
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 9:28:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Damn, wish I would have been on here earlier this year.  Any chance that this will happen again?  I have WP sentinels and a green screen PVS14.  Haven't been able to shoot at night since I moved down here earlier this year.  Would love to be able to do so again.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 9:20:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Damn, wish I would have been on here earlier this year.  Any chance that this will happen again?  I have WP sentinels and a green screen PVS14.  Haven't been able to shoot at night since I moved down here earlier this year.  Would love to be able to do so again.
View Quote
I will plan to run another couple in the early part of next year.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 1:23:58 PM EDT
[#43]
That looks like fun. I’ll keep an eye out for another.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 8:30:55 PM EDT
[#44]
I got an ir laser and illuminator for the AR pistol, so hopefully I can make one now.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:44:55 AM EDT
[#45]
I will keep my ears up for another one.  No NODS at this time.  But it would be interesting to see how it all goes.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 3:05:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I will keep my ears up for another one.  No NODS at this time.  But it would be interesting to see how it all goes.
View Quote
I will run a low light class the night before.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 9:40:14 PM EDT
[#47]
I'll be moving back to NC in early March and and I'd love to come out. I didn't think I'd have many opportunities to shoot at night since leaving Arizona but it seems y'all got it figured out

At this time I have no nods, but I do have a suppressed AR pistol w/whitelight and red dot.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 8:06:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'll be moving back to NC in early March and and I'd love to come out. I didn't think I'd have many opportunities to shoot at night since leaving Arizona but it seems y'all got it figured out

At this time I have no nods, but I do have a suppressed AR pistol w/whitelight and red dot.
View Quote
Excellent.

I will run a low light event on one night, and then the night vision event the following.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 9:57:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Bump with March dates
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 12:11:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Same fees as before?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top