Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2018 7:50:16 PM EDT
Guys,

I go on vacation to the Elkins area about once every 2 years.  My wife and I like to ride the scenic trains. We also like to explore the natural beauty and hike.

There is a privately owned military museum of the likes you have never seen before, in Petersburg called Top Kicks.
The owner is Gereald Bland and he is wonderful man that I have gotten to know in a small way over the past 10 years.  Last time I was there about 2 years ago, I knew it was only time until his collection would be sold off because he is too old to run it.  Well its time, his collection is for sale.  So, Im not advertising for him, but I am asking you guys to do yourselves a favor and get up there really soon and see his collection.  Its truly awesome.  He has 4 or 5 large buildings full of stuff.

http://www.topkicksmilitarymuseum.com/index.htm
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 9:06:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow! Didn't know about that place!
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 10:32:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 2:52:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Awesome! Never knew about it.  Thanks
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Awesome! Never knew about it.  Thanks
View Quote
Same here!   Know I know what to do on my next day off!
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 7:30:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 9:27:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've been there twice since I've bought property in the area.  Too bad about it being sold.
View Quote
Last time I was there he was trying to teach his neckbeard looking grandson how to operate it.
You know the kid was all set to inherit this awesome place and probably had zero interest in it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 9:02:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Cool, Elkins is pretty cool.

Always something interesting popping up
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 10:27:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 10:36:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Got the bike trail extension going in on Rt.219 coming into town, gonna look a bit different, bridge and all....

Trust me if you lived here or near here the cool and interesting wears off in a hurry, the town itself is so corrupt its not even funny.  County ain't too bad, but not great either...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got the bike trail extension going in on Rt.219 coming into town, gonna look a bit different, bridge and all....

Trust me if you lived here or near here the cool and interesting wears off in a hurry, the town itself is so corrupt its not even funny.  County ain't too bad, but not great either...
its like that everywhere.

I did meet a guy that lived right up next to the college.  I was turning around in his driveway and he just started talking to me. We had a several hour long conversation. The guy was old and lonely, so I just stayed with him till he was done and I still remember his full name to this day.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 11:16:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 1:39:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Corruption? In West Virginia politics? The devil you say!
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 6:42:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lies..all lies..
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 6:54:11 AM EDT
[#14]
I think the Bridge to Nowhere in Bluefield is now 18 years old.  Clearly an investment in the future.

Attachment Attached File

When I was a teenager they built the WV Turnpike and issued 30 year bonds.  The tolls would be removed when the bonds are paid off.  That was about 50 years ago.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 7:17:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Name a city or town in any state that isn't corrupt, many of them orders of magnitude more so than Elkins.

As a West Virginia boy, born and raised, I still believe that we have the nicest people per capita than any other state that I have visited.

Speaking of bike trails, take caution any one who is planning on riding on the West Fork Rail Trail, about a mile in, the trail has slid away and the remaining half of the trail is dangerously undercut.

I've passed the sign to that museum in Petersburg multiple times and always told myself that I need to make time to stop. Maybe before the summer is out I will take my son there and check it out. By the looks of the pictures he has quite the collection. It would be a shame to see it sold off piece meal never to be seen again by the public.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 6:29:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Been heading up to Ekins for at least 6 years now to go shooting, A friend has a cabin off Shale road where we shoot out to 1000.  allways a good time, havent been up there since last winter, next trip will be to buy a house in the panhandle
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 7:58:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I had scheduled a trip to Top Kicks in October.  Since finding out the museum was for sale, I decided to go down today for a couple of hours and turn and burn back home.

The owner is doing pretty well and still has enough energy to run the place. It is for sale and he said he would take $600,000 but you have to take everything inside the buildings. I think that is a real bargain.  He wont sell pieces. I tried to buy 2 vehicles today.

Here is the kicker. He is closing up in October of this year.

I hope you guys get a chance to see it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 8:09:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Good info, thanks!
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 1:34:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I had scheduled a trip to Top Kicks in October.  Since finding out the museum was for sale, I decided to go down today for a couple of hours and turn and burn back home.

The owner is doing pretty well and still has enough energy to run the place. It is for sale and he said he would take $600,000 but you have to take everything inside the buildings. I think that is a real bargain.  He wont sell pieces. I tried to buy 2 vehicles today.

Here is the kicker. He is closing up in October of this year.

I hope you guys get a chance to see it.
View Quote
Damn, I definitely need to get my ass out there before then.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I think the Bridge to Nowhere in Bluefield is now 18 years old.  Clearly an investment in the future.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/29984/B-613618.JPG
View Quote
Just wait till some larger employer comes into the state looking for a bridge.  Well Bluefield will be one of the most likely prospects to get the industry!  If you build it they will come.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 4:07:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just wait till some larger employer comes into the state looking for a bridge.  Well Bluefield will be one of the most likely prospects to get the industry!  If you build it they will come.
View Quote
I like your thinking.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 2:12:26 AM EDT
[#22]
When I was a teenager they built the WV Turnpike and issued 30 year bonds.
The tolls would be removed when the bonds are paid off.  That was about 50 years ago.
View Quote
IIRC when the amount owed was down to $1 million in the late 1980s/early 1990s,
they refinanced the debt for another 20 years. They did this because:
a) they did not want the 52 employees associated with the Turnpike to lose their jobs, and
b) since the state had gotten out of the liquor business through their ABC stores, the
Turnpike was now the state's biggest moneymaker (other than funds obtained through taxes).
At least, that's what I remember reading in the Gazette, but time can do things to one's memory...

This Wikipedia article may help provide some clues:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Virginia_Turnpike

The Turnpike used to border the back of the property where I lived. I used to cross it
to hike up into the mountains. I lost that home I grew up in through eminent domain
when they upgraded the Turnpike in my area in 1979.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 3:28:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/29984/B-613618.JPG

When I was a teenager they built the WV Turnpike and issued 30 year bonds.  The tolls would be removed when the bonds are paid off.  That was about 50 years ago.
View Quote
The first section opened in 1954. By the time I moved in 1990 it was four lanes to Lewisburg and the VA line. I hated driving the thing when it was just two lanes from Beckley to Charleston.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top