Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2018 10:39:06 PM EDT
So I am moving to the Miami area. Where should I live? I'm looking at the Homestead area.
What should I know about moving to FL?
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 12:53:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Learn some spanish.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 6:25:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Why?  Are you being punished for something?
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 6:54:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Miami sucks. Lived here all my life and it's only getting more crowded.
I don't know really any Spanish and I get by fine. Cubans give me shit for not knowing their language but can't read a fucking dmv manual.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 7:23:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Que làstima.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 7:36:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't know really any Spanish and I get by fine. Cubans give me shit for not knowing their language but can't read a fucking dmv manual.
View Quote
Folks that speak English can't read them either.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 8:34:22 AM EDT
[#6]
It's true!
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 10:54:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Why?  Are you being punished for something?
View Quote
It was Miami or no job.....
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 11:57:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Homestead itself has a very large crime problem. Also, depending on where your job is, commute can be brutal -- might get better once they finish the highway improvements because of huge growth in Homestead area. Mostly new developments so don't plan on your house getting more valuable over time.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 12:04:08 PM EDT
[#9]
OP, where is the job itself?

That in of itself should help determine where you should move too.

Miami-Dade County is huge. You have 2.5 Million people crammed into a sliver of housing going north from FL to the Broward line due to the Everglades.

Homestead is far from just about anything in Dade due to distance and traffic. Housing is expensive period.

To give you an idea, if you live in Homestead and work in Doral. Get used to leaving the house before 6am to get to the office by 8am. As for south bound after work. Prepare for two hours again. Also factor in tolls. You'll be spending a pretty penny on them. If you job is anywhere north of Kendall, Homestead ain't worth it.

Overall, traffic is a nightmare, housing is ungodly expensive, and it is generally expensive to live there due to costs of living.

What will your income be? If it is $60k, you'll be doing okay. Like you can afford a minimal life.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 1:19:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 1:26:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I agree with everything except the typo on 60k. 100k will let you get by in a Cracker Jack box.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, where is the job itself?

That in of itself should help determine where you should move too.

Miami-Dade County is huge. You have 2.5 Million people crammed into a sliver of housing going north from FL to the Broward line due to the Everglades.

Homestead is far from just about anything in Dade due to distance and traffic. Housing is expensive period.

To give you an idea, if you live in Homestead and work in Doral. Get used to leaving the house before 6am to get to the office by 8am. As for south bound after work. Prepare for two hours again. Also factor in tolls. You'll be spending a pretty penny on them. If you job is anywhere north of Kendall, Homestead ain't worth it.

Overall, traffic is a nightmare, housing is ungodly expensive, and it is generally expensive to live there due to costs of living.

What will your income be? If it is $60k, you'll be doing okay. Like you can afford a minimal life.
I agree with everything except the typo on 60k. 100k will let you get by in a Cracker Jack box.
I left six years agos for a reason.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 4:25:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll be working near the airport, MIA, making about $50,000 for a few months then then bump up to around $65,000.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 4:38:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'll be working near the airport, MIA, making about $50,000 for a few months then then bump up to around $65,000.
View Quote
Oh boy....

Hope you enjoy traffic and high costs of living.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 5:08:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I work right next to the air port and it takes me an hour to go 16 miles north in the morning. I leave work at 330 and make it back home in 30 mins.

No traffic will take you about 20 mins.

And yes, housing is rediculous. I think I remember reading something like people spend more of their income on rent in Miami than anywhere else. If not, it's pretty close.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 5:27:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Oh boy....

Hope you enjoy traffic and high costs of living.
View Quote
Homestead to MIA in rush hour would be trying.

Also I hope you have brushed up on your aggressive driving skills, and make sure to purchase uninsured motorist coverage.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 5:58:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like the wife needs to find a job fast.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sounds like the wife needs to find a job fast.
View Quote
YES
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Then you ain't going to be buying no house..... At least not anything you want to buy.
Rents are insane as well $1200+ but your not stuck.
The airport area is horrible EVERYTHING.  I'm sorry you have to relocate.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 6:29:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Then you ain't going to be buying no house..... At least not anything you want to buy.
View Quote
Yeah we're definitely not looking to buy anytime soon. Hopefully only have to be in Miami 5 or so years.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 7:11:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You know it is the South.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 7:50:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I paid $1200 a month for a 1 bedroom apapartment off SW 88th ST and SW 142nd AVE and that three years when my promotion but me back in the Miami Field Office for work in Downtown Miami.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 10:30:31 PM EDT
[#22]
$1200/month is typical for a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment.
We have some apartments going up that they're asking over $3k/month with a scenic view of the hood. The next block over, you can rent a single family home for half of that.
However.... There are some older rentals that just haven't been updated that are cheap. You just need to keep an eye out and be ready when they're available.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 10:42:58 AM EDT
[#23]
This brings up a good topic...

So if the wife and I stay in Florida long term, we will likely be relocating down closer to Miami from northeast Florida where we currently live.  Income is $200,000+ and we’d like to be near the beach if possible and within a 2 hour drive to the MIA airport.  Good schools a plus.  Any recommendations on cities / neighborhoods to look at?
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 10:58:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This brings up a good topic...

So if the wife and I stay in Florida long term, we will likely be relocating down closer to Miami from northeast Florida where we currently live.  Income is $200,000+ and we'd like to be near the beach if possible and within a 2 hour drive to the MIA airport.  Good schools a plus.  Any recommendations on cities / neighborhoods to look at?
View Quote
200k near the beach? Maybe someplace in Broward.

Two hours from MIA puts you closer to Ft Lauderdale and Palm Beach International. Two hours takes you up to Martin County and you're in the Middle between MIA and Orlando.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 12:22:48 PM EDT
[#25]
food, clothing, car stuff,  furniture............nothing expensive in Miami with those things.  Housing though is a bitch.

I live there half the time,  the rest up in North Florida.  I absolutely hate Miami, and indeed all of South Florida.  Sadly,  that's where the income is right now.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 12:25:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Yea we’ve lived in north Florida all our lives.  Only been down to Miami a few times so we’re just not too familiar with the area.  We know the traffic is bad but it’s become terrible where we live too.  I currently commute to Washington DC for work 2x /week and I don’t want to do that forever.  It would be great to be able to drive to work at some point.

We’d like to live near the coast but we’re flexible.  Mainly just waiting to see how this election goes and how 2020 goes.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 4:11:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Well look on the bright side....

You can be in the Keys in an hour!

Red
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 7:11:40 PM EDT
[#28]
It all depends on where your job is located relative to MIA.
North of MIA you can take 36 street, west is SR826 Palmetto, south is SR 836 Dolphin, east is 42 avenue.
They are ALL a nightmare for traffic.

As far as the housing, I would say the nicest, but most expensive area just south of MIA would be Coral Gables.
West of MIA is West Miami/Sweetwater in the 107 ave area which is not bad, but nothing to speak of.
North is Miami Springs/Hialeah/Medley area and that is its own universe. Stay away unless you don't mind dealing with the bizarre every day.
East is central Miami and that is another meh.

By the way, welcome to Miami!
I hope you can stand the heat, humidity, cost of living, traffic, and lots and lots of derp.
There definitely are some nice things about it, but the general mindset is to make as much money as you can, then split.
Oh, and the South Beach women are amazing, and you can carry concealed.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 8:29:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 10:22:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Watch Mad Max to learn how to drive here,
View Quote
LMFAO!!!
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 10:30:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 3:13:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Wow, I just left Miami and moved up to Chicago. Yeah, I know Chicago isn't much better. Cost of living is the same, if anything slightly less, but the salary is SOOO much better! few years is all I need here, then we are moving back to the panhandle. Will never live in Miami again. (Born and raised there, so I know Miami)
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 4:29:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Oh man, I'm so sorry.
I was there last year, I will try not to go back.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 5:13:48 PM EDT
[#34]
So we're all moved in the house and storage unit we're renting in Kendale Lakes area.
Holy shit the traffic is horrible, there was even traffic in Target. The wife is getting better at driving like a asshole.

Now can anyone recommend a place to
shoot? And a couple places to stare at guns to buy until I get my DL switched over.

Edit: Damn they nickel and dime you on the tolls. I did get a SunPass.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 6:10:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
So we're all moved in the house and storage unit we're renting in Kendale Lakes area.
Holy shit the traffic is horrible, there was even traffic in Target. The wife is getting better at driving like a asshole.

shoot? And a couple places to stare at guns to buy until I get my DL switched over.

View Quote
Kendall Lakes.... I used to live off SW 137th Ave and SW 88th St at the Kendall Lakes Apartments. Went to Kendall Lakes and Winston Park elementary.

Trailglades Range off Krome and 8th or Henry's Range in Homestead.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 7:33:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Trail Glades ....
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 10:18:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
I used to live there, loved Miami & the culture there, traffic sucked.  There are 2 La fitnesses around you, both are always jammed pack.  I hated that aspect of Miami (Kendall, I lived where you are).  I now live in Naples, much easier lifestyle and it is also a conservative stronghold in Florida.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 11:15:05 AM EDT
[#39]
I live in Miami. Born and raised. Once my kids leave to college, I’m getting the fuck out of here. Have you checked out Davie? About a 40 min drive from Miami. It’s like the last bastion in Sfla.

ETA: nvrmnd. I see you moved to Kendall Lakes. God be with you.

You’re pretty close to Stone Hearts Gun Range. I’m a member there. Let me know if you want to meet up to shoot!

Stoneharts Gun Club
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 11:23:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Took my kids to Henry’s the other day. Fun time. Eric, the guy that works there, was going off on liberals. Time before that, he was on a tirade about Hillary. Funny guy.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 12:43:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I live in Miami. Born and raised. Once my kids leave to college, I'm getting the fuck out of here. Have you checked out Davie? About a 40 min drive from Miami. It's like the last bastion in Sfla.

ETA: nvrmnd. I see you moved to Kendall Lakes. God be with you.

You're pretty close to Stone Hearts Gun Range. I'm a member there. Let me know if you want to meet up to shoot!

Stoneharts Gun Club
View Quote
Actually a guy I work with told me about Davie the other day. I think this is the place we're going to move with in the next year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top