Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/7/2018 1:43:41 PM EDT
I left IL last year... Missouri welcome you and your guns.  We have full auto, no FOID, Constitutional Carry, and face to face transfers.

Lower taxes, and more land.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 2:32:02 PM EDT
[#1]
As soon as I can..
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 2:36:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Where's the like button?

Though, I'm thinking Tennessee has a nicer ring to it.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 4:11:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm another Illinois to Missouri transplant. I'm loving it in SW MO. Sat in the deer stand this morning and did some shooting this afternoon- all on our own property.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 5:07:02 PM EDT
[#4]
If I move, its somewhere warm. I’m thinking AZ. Maybe tx
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 6:24:40 PM EDT
[#5]
We're stuck in this shithole for at least another 5 years but will likely be jumping the river after that.  Please save a few acres with a house and shop for us somewhere within an hour or two west/NW of Quincy.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 10:51:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I left IL last year... Missouri welcome you and your guns.  We have full auto, no FOID, Constitutional Carry, and face to face transfers.

View Quote
Thank you thank you. Any specific area to raise kids?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:27:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I move, its somewhere warm. I’m thinking AZ. Maybe tx
View Quote
If you have a basement in IL, you should know that it's doubtful you'll have one in TX/AZ.  Most of the homes there are built on slabs.

ETA:  I looked at both of those states before choosing MO.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:32:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thank you thank you. Any specific area to raise kids?
View Quote
I'm a single male.  I moved to Farmington.  I have no clue how the schools are, but I can tell you this... They have no driver's education courses in high school, and IT SHOWS BIG TIME.  People drive in the left lane far below max speed for the zone, and it drives me insane.  They leave their turn signals on for miles.  They can't center their damn cars in a parking stall for shit.  But hey, it's a little sacrifice for freedom.

Just to give you an idea, I had a $150k, 1k sq ft house, full unfinished basement, and 6k sq ft lot in IL.  I paid $2500 in property tax.  This was St. Clair County.

Here, I have a $150k, 1500 sq foot house, full unfinished basement, and a 12k sq ft lot.  This is in St. Francois County.  I pay $1300 in property tax, plus personal property taxes, which come up to a grand total of about $1800.  Personal property tax is vehicle and car trailer.  PP taxes vary by county, and decline with the vehicle based on NADA values.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:47:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:50:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'll be joining you in Missouri within 6 months or so. Looking at the Festus/Herculaneum area even though it will be an hour drive to work each way.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 12:45:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'll be joining you in Missouri within 6 months or so. Looking at the Festus/Herculaneum area even though it will be an hour drive to work each way.
View Quote
Festus is nice.  It's out of St. Louis County, so you have less taxes, but the taxes there (Jefferson County) are still higher than St. Francois.  However, in your case, transit is an important consideration for work.  Festus also has the closest Home Depot...  Saddens me that Farmington has a Menards and Lowes, but not a Home Depot.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 1:38:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Festus is nice.  It's out of St. Louis County, so you have less taxes, but the taxes there (Jefferson County) are still higher than St. Francois.  However, in your case, transit is an important consideration for work.  Festus also has the closest Home Depot...  Saddens me that Farmington has a Menards and Lowes, but not a Home Depot.
View Quote
I'm looking for a place no further than about 1 hr from Scott AFB if you have recommendations. Don't want to be in St Louis city at all.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 1:59:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm looking for a place no further than about 1 hr from Scott AFB if you have recommendations. Don't want to be in St Louis city at all.
View Quote
I moved to Farmington from Swansea.

You don't want to be in STL county either for tax purposes.

Look by county.  Jefferson County is about as good as it's going to get.  Look at Arnold and surrounding area.  It takes me just under an hour to get to I-64 and Hwy 159 to go see my dad in Swansea.  Anything along I-55 will do you ok in that county.  Arnold, Imperial, Barnhart, Pevely, Herculaneum, and Festus.  Just start looking at Zillow.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 10:49:14 AM EDT
[#14]
As soon as my Mom moves on. South of the Ozarks for me.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 3:07:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
As soon as my Mom moves on. South of the Ozarks for me.
View Quote
Precisely what I waited on.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 5:36:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Precisely what I waited on.
View Quote
Sorry to hear about your mom.

I should really send you a PM/IM.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 5:41:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, my girlfriend is civil service at Scott AFB.

She lives....we live in O'Fallon, IL ...for now.  I still maintain another house elsewhere....unfortunately still in Illinois.

I don't know how receptive she would be to a move to Missouri if she still has her job at Scott...

which rumor mill wise says might be getting cut.

Link Posted: 11/8/2018 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I moved to Farmington from Swansea.

You don't want to be in STL county either for tax purposes.

Look by county.  Jefferson County is about as good as it's going to get.  Look at Arnold and surrounding area.  It takes me just under an hour to get to I-64 and Hwy 159 to go see my dad in Swansea.  Anything along I-55 will do you ok in that county.  Arnold, Imperial, Barnhart, Pevely, Herculaneum, and Festus.  Just start looking at Zillow.
View Quote
I just google map'ed it.

Going from Arnold across the JB bridge straight up 255 to my work is 46 minutes.

What is the word on the land or area north and east of St. Charles, MO?

That would be the quickest way for me to get into work from the Missouri side.

I am thinking ahead to whatever gun laws Jabba is going to pass.

The other bonus to living in Missouri is suppressors and other Class III goodies.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 7:30:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I need to figure a way out of here.
View Quote
yeah, sooner rather than later.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 9:55:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Going to Columbus Indiana to look at houses,I just needed a little push an this was it.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 1:50:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I just google map'ed it.

Going from Arnold across the JB bridge straight up 255 to my work is 46 minutes.

What is the word on the land or area north and east of St. Charles, MO?

That would be the quickest way for me to get into work from the Missouri side.

I am thinking ahead to whatever gun laws Jabba is going to pass.

The other bonus to living in Missouri is suppressors and other Class III goodies.
View Quote
You don't want any part of the rush hour traffic heading out to St. Charles.  Even with the I-370 Extension, it still sucks.

But if you want to go that far out, I also looked at homes in Wentzville, Warranton, and Wright City.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 10:40:37 PM EDT
[#22]
You are lucky that your better half was willing to go. Mine will not leave our kids and grandchildren to save my guns and I’m not leaving without her. Otherwise Illinois has been good to us for many generations. So I stay and fight the good fight politically, as I have for 46 years. Its all most of us can do.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 1:44:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You are lucky that your better half was willing to go. Mine will not leave our kids and grandchildren to save my guns and I’m not leaving without her. Otherwise Illinois has been good to us for many generations. So I stay and fight the good fight politically, as I have for 46 years. Its all most of us can do.
View Quote
My other half is a 21 lb mini-Schnauzer, and he was pretty apathetic about it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 8:21:29 PM EDT
[#24]
not only that mo.treats disabled vets(outta state) as residents when it comes to hunt licenseand deer tags
@30$ for a doe and a buck tag for disabled outta staters   thankyou mo!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top