Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2021 1:16:00 PM EDT
I had a call a little while ago, which I didn't answer because I did not know the number.

I got a second call from the same number, and ignored it as well because they didn't leave a voice mail the first time.

I looked up the number, and it came back to the ATF.

The third time they called, I answered, and it was weird.  It was an automated message that said there was an important message for me, and I had to hit a number to continue.  I wasn't sure if this was some sort of scam or not, so I went ahead and pressed a random number.

I then got an automated message about a gun shop in St Charles being burglarized.  The message continued to say to look for suspicious behavior and report any missing guns.

By now, I'm sure it was a legitimate call, but at first, it just smelled like some sort of scam (multiple calls, no voice mail left, automated voice, etc...)

Anyone else get the call or know who the unlucky shop was?

ETA - Forgot to mention, I do have a C&R license, so the ATF does have my phone number and address for that.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 1:39:56 PM EDT
[#1]
That was most definitely a scam.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 2:46:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That was most definitely a scam.
View Quote

It feels like it, but I'm not sure what the scam would be.  

I forgot to mention I have a C&R license, so the ATF has my contact info already.  I updated the OP.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 4:41:17 PM EDT
[#3]
It's hard to say it's a scam if the phone number came back as ATF, but it seems like a strange way to notify anyone of possible stolen guns. Is that how the agency typically notifies dealers when there's a theft? I have a C&R and haven't heard anything, but I don't live near St. Charles. Sounds kinda fishy.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 4:55:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I think it's legit.

Apparently they came up with something called fflAlert where they send automated messages to FFLs in the area to alert them of a burglary near by.  I guess my zip code was considered close enough, and my C&R was enough to get a notification sent.

Leave it to the ATF to come up with a system that sounds like a scam, though.

Link Posted: 6/22/2021 6:10:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's hard to say it's a scam if the phone number came back as ATF, ...
View Quote

Sad to say, but in this digital world, scammers can and do spoof phone numbers all of the time, so caller IDs offer no real evidence of validity.

An automated call from the ATF does sound odd, but they didn't seem to ask for anything that would sound like a scam based on what was posted...

I wouldn't call any number they may have left, though, not without checking first at the ATF website to confirm the phone number is a valid one. If unable to confirm the number from the site, I'd call one of the actual contact numbers listed there instead.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 6:24:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I get many spam calls that are just spoffed numbers. Wouldn't surprise me either way. Hard to tell any more honestly. I quit answering my phone years ago unless so.eone was saved in my contacts.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 7:09:59 PM EDT
[#7]
That's not a scam.  All license holders usually get notified when there is a theft just to look out for stolen firearms.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 7:50:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Got it too.....it's legit, they do it anytime there's a local burglary.

Link Posted: 6/22/2021 8:49:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, as a dealer we get similar calls when other dealers in the area have break ins or similar issues.  They often include details on how they break in such as ...ramming a truck through the front door or cutting an hole in the roof.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 9:19:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I feel better that it was a legitimate call, but they need to do something to make it seem less scammy.

Link Posted: 6/27/2021 8:52:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Their was a gun shop in st charles that was hit on fathers day.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 12:16:15 PM EDT
[#12]
They have been doing these type of calls for awhile.   Legit call.   Have gotten then in past when there has been some civil unrest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top