Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2023 1:41:13 AM EDT
I have a week in Ashland coming up.

Any recommendations for that area?

Hiking, food, things to see, places to shoot?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 11:29:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a week in Ashland coming up.

Any recommendations for that area?

Hiking, food, things to see, places to shoot?

Thanks!
View Quote

About the only good thing in Ashland is mountain biking on the mountain. AMA did shuttles last time I rode there.

Rest of the town is a disgusting hippyville of commie liberals. IMHO, go out to the range in White City. A few good gun shops in Grants Pass (sadly Noveske doesnt have a storefront). If you are going to be around through the weekend, PM me.

Also, jet boats in Grants Pass are pretty cool. I hear good things about the caves in Cave Junction.

Ive never actually eaten in Ashland. Spent most of my time biking on the Mountain.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:51:17 PM EDT
[#2]
There are beautiful areas for sightseeing and hiking if you leave Ashland via Hwy 66 towards Klamath Falls. It is a windy road, and pretty drive. About 16 miles east of town you'll summit the mountain. There is a parking area there to access the Pacific Crest Trail. The Greensprings Inn up the highway a few miles further is a decent place to eat. Fill your water bottle at Tubb Springs for some amazing spring water. Drive around Hyatt Lake and Howard Prairie Lake, then head back towards Ashland on Dead Indian Memorial Road. Its gorgeous country.

As for eating in Ashland, I haven't eaten a meal there since 2007 due to their city-wide food and beverage tax. The restaurants are supposedly very good. I do like the beer from Caldera Brewing.

Eat a meal at Callahans' Lodge on the Siskiyou pass if you are heading up to Mt. Ashland. It's a historic place and pretty fun.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 6:37:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Lol at the first reply!

I live here and there are a ton of shooters here. Yes there are some hippydippy types, welcome to OR!

OP, what kind of shooting do you want to do? Our gun club has great traditional ranges and we shoot 600 yds twice per month. We have private property we can shoot out to 1,500 yards 7 minutes out of town. We also drive to grants pass twice per month to shoot 3 gun.

Tons of hiking, PCT is a couple miles out of town. Makes for some great section hikes. Still lots of snow on the mountain so my son is still hiking and skiing. The rogue river and Klamath river are very close for fishing and whitewater rafting. Redwoods are a drive but worth visiting as is Crater Lake. Crater Lake is a must see if you haven’t yet! Lots of wineries and some darn good beer here. Great dining opportunities as well. Almost forgot about the mountain biking. The reason I moved here 27 years ago! Great riding.

When are you going to be here? Feel free to pm me and we may be able to connect to pull some triggers. Also happy to point you to good food and drink. If you like wine we can shoot long distance and then hit our tasting room for beer and wine.

Let me know!
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:29:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lol at the first reply!

I live here and there are a ton of shooters here. Yes there are some hippydippy types, welcome to OR!

OP, what kind of shooting do you want to do? Our gun club has great traditional ranges and we shoot 600 yds twice per month. We have private property we can shoot out to 1,500 yards 7 minutes out of town. We also drive to grants pass twice per month to shoot 3 gun.

Tons of hiking, PCT is a couple miles out of town. Makes for some great section hikes. Still lots of snow on the mountain so my son is still hiking and skiing. The rogue river and Klamath river are very close for fishing and whitewater rafting. Redwoods are a drive but worth visiting as is Crater Lake. Crater Lake is a must see if you haven’t yet! Lots of wineries and some darn good beer here. Great dining opportunities as well. Almost forgot about the mountain biking. The reason I moved here 27 years ago! Great riding.

When are you going to be here? Feel free to pm me and we may be able to connect to pull some triggers. Also happy to point you to good food and drink. If you like wine we can shoot long distance and then hit our tasting room for beer and wine.

Let me know!
View Quote

I'm sure there are decent people in Ashland, you being an example. Most of the place is San Francisco hippies. Every time I've been there down town has been a hippieville, the Shakespeare festival.... Self explanatory. Every time I've biked there the entire group has been harassed by people yelling at us for some environmental or other wack job thing. We've even had people try to physically make us stop or take us off our bikes just riding through to get back to the shuttle for another round. I've had to run a few over.

Ashland has a reputation by the rest of the state as being a crazy liberal island in an otherwise decently normal part of the state. Where I am we refer it to as a smaller Southern Portland.

I loved riding Chucks Chips in Talent. Mt Ashland was always fun to ride. Time Warp is always a good ride. Used to enjoy Jabberwocky too. AMA was good people. Havent been able to ride there in ages. Probably never will again due to the crazies that seem to always find my riding group. I'll stick to Phil's Trail, Mt Bachelor and NUT for most of my pedal time now. Tons of amazing riding in OR. We used to have a Trials group in Bend, there is XC, AM, FR, DH, you name it.

Lots of cool stuff to do outside Ashland. Just depends on what you want to do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top