Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 2/6/2021 9:00:07 AM EDT
https://www.whio.com/news/local/new-ohio-web-based-tool-provides-way-track-stolen-guns/WO6BANCSIJAFTJC4IGW64LQDWU/

The “Ohio Stolen Gun Portal,” created by Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost opened this week. In a written statement announcing the first-of-its kind web system in Ohio, Yost said “This is a tool for gun buyers and law enforcement alike that will lead to recovery of stolen firearms and serve as a deterrent for criminals seeking to make a quick buck.”
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 3:13:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 4:50:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 5:25:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool! That's a great idea for buyers.

It looks like it will just have eyes on OH right now. It would be cool if other states set up something like this and allowed the databases to "talk" to each other.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 6:41:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I have been waiting forever to see something like this. It should be nation wide!
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 6:51:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have been waiting forever to see something like this. It should be nation wide!
View Quote

Exactly. It should be that easy but I have little faith in it being updated in a timely manner if it ever does happen.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 8:17:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I dont know bro.. lots of shady government shit going on right now...  I dont trust the man in any form these days.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 8:56:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I dont know bro.. lots of shady government shit going on right now...  I dont trust the man in any form these days.
View Quote
Ain't that the truth.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 9:40:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup, it'll be made mandatory.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 9:53:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 10:14:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't either.  What is to say you buy a gun off someone on Armslist then they report it stolen.  You go to sell it and it comes up on in the database as stolen.

What do you do?  Turn it in and lose all the money you spent on it?  I could see this as a tool for FFL's if they go to buy and used gun. It isn't mandatory at this point but probably will in the future

I can't access it through my VPN connection.  So any inquires will know your IP address.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 10:17:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 11:03:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The only advantage to not checking is the claim of ignorance when whatever you bought turns out to be stolen.  The whole idea is you save yourself the headache and $$ loss of receiving stolen property.  The police might determine that you were an innocent third party, but they are taking the stolen gun and not compensating you for the loss.

I swear some of you would gripe about the flavors of free ice cream offered to you.
View Quote

Did you say Ice cream...   But you be the law  and of course you see the good...  we see our IP being used to track us.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 1:51:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 2:37:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You got a chl, they ( we) , already know who you are.
View Quote

True... Very true...
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 4:17:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I agree on not liking the govt involvement, and i do see it as possibly being another one of a thousand cuts,,,but i have had guns stolen from me, so i see the other side of the fence too. Maybe it would have helped me get my guns back, or made it harder for the thief to sell them.

I suppose it will be abused by some govt branch like all other things.

Now i am squirming on the fence trying to decide if i like it or not.  

Link Posted: 2/8/2021 4:28:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd much rather have something like this where you could look up stolen guns that had already been recovered. Not all PD's get around to letting the owners know.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 4:35:08 PM EDT
[#17]
from I have seen in the past the only time a stolen gun shows up when it recovered from crime scene. most of them sell to their hommies and avoid public deals...
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 8:58:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like a good way to voluntarily register your weapons . . .
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:52:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Sounds like a good way to voluntarily register your weapons . . .
View Quote

Sure - if it required you to provide personal details and confirm purchase before running.

It doesn't, by the way.

ETA - As for potential IP tracking, that is pretty easy to get around.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top