Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
12/6/2019 7:27:02 PM
Posted: 11/21/2019 3:19:03 PM EST
I moved from one county to another, and have a permit issued from the previous. Went to new county sheriff to change permit to new address. They said I need to go through the whole process all over again, including the proof of training that last bit which I know is certainly not true. Can't find anything in the law, or on DPS's website and DPS isn't getting back to me after leaving messages for clarification on how this is supposed to work.

Does anyone have info on how moving counties within the same State works? My understanding is it's an Iowa permit, Sheriff just does the background check/investigates. Or do I just suck it up and do what the new Sheriff's office says to?
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 12:30:26 AM EST
Sec. 15. NEW SECTION. 724.14 Nonprofessional permit ====
change of residence to another county.

If a permit holder of a nonprofessional permit to carry
weapons changes residences from one county to another county
after the issuance of the permit, the department of public
safety shall by rule specify the procedure to transfer the
regulation of the holder's permit to another sheriff for the
purposes of issuing a renewal or duplicate permit, or complying
with section 724.13.

Full text of 2017 update:
https://legiscan.com/IA/text/HF517/id/1590115
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 9:07:08 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/22/2019 9:16:02 AM EST by codifier]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By glockguy2102:
Sec. 15. NEW SECTION. 724.14 Nonprofessional permit ====
change of residence to another county.

If a permit holder of a nonprofessional permit to carry
weapons changes residences from one county to another county
after the issuance of the permit, the department of public
safety shall by rule specify the procedure to transfer the
regulation of the holder's permit to another sheriff for the
purposes of issuing a renewal or duplicate permit, or complying
with section 724.13.

Full text of 2017 update:
https://legiscan.com/IA/text/HF517/id/1590115
View Quote
You Sir are my hero. I have no idea how I missed that in the law, but I am glad you pointed it out. Looks like I am printing this to take back to the Sheriff's office.

Edit: So the question arises on what the procedure is that DPS is supposed to specify, I called DPS again leaving another message asking for this procedure. Since they blew me off the other day I don't expect a response; as it is written I am sure the Sheriff can just say the procedure is whatever they say it is. Frustrating.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 9:19:58 AM EST
What county?
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 10:28:33 AM EST
Originally Posted By Ameshawki:
What county?
View Quote
Mills
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 10:36:36 AM EST
Originally Posted By codifier:

Mills
View Quote
Not the one I was expecting. In fairness, I suspect most sheriffs find the permit process a pain the neck and most assuredly not a high priority item.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 4:06:30 PM EST
Try posting your question in the Iowa Firearms Coalition FB group, they were instrumental in getting that law passed.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ifc2a/
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 10:36:50 AM EST
I would think it would be reasonable to simply issue a replacement in your new county assuming the permit is still active and not expired. If so the $25.00 fee would apply. I would get a copy of the training record you provided to the issuing county that you received your permit from, you should not have to get new training, although training is never a bad idea, especially with the permit law changes.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 10:38:36 PM EST
When my wife and I moved two years ago the county we moved to told us it was still valid and they werent going to spend their time or our money issuing a replacement, and just to come back when it was time to renew.

Page Hometown » Iowa
Top Top