Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2022 8:57:43 PM EDT
He came by to entertain our residents with his guitar. I didn't realize he was a gun enthusiast. I actually thought he might be a recovering homeless man. Boy! was I wrong. One of our residents, who is 94 years old was his second mom. I'll bet some of you probably know him or his father.

Article
How many guns do you own?"

Charlie Haffner Jr. pondered the question, pausing, it seemed, in case a number was forthcoming. But he shrugged and said simply, "I haven't got a clue. But Pop owned around 800 at one time."
Pop would be Charlie Haffner Sr., who came from a long line of Williamson Countians and was considered a foremost authority on guns, especially historic ones.
He was instrumental in the beginning and continuation of the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association, a member of its Hall of Fame and the NMLRA's first Distinguished Master. Haffner also started the Tennessee Gun Collectors Association in 1951, organized gun shows in the 1960s and '70s, and was named national champion in several shooting competitions.
"Pop loved his history, and he loved his guns," Haffner Jr. said on a cloudy, gray day from his family home, where he and his sister share duties as their elderly mother's caregiver.
Charlie Haffner Sr. died in 2004, and his son has carried on his legacy both through his fascination with family history and his interest in guns. Like his father, Haffner has competed in and won several muzzle-loading tournaments, including several on the international circuit. His travels have taken him to Spain, to the world-famous Bisley Shooting Ground in England, and to a range in France just across the street from Versailles.
"I got to go to a lot of places," Haffner said, "places that never in a million years I would think of going to."

In Williamson County, where Haffner was a 1971 graduate of Battle Ground Academy, he has maintained the Charlie Haffner Memorial Range in Thompson's Station. Founded by Haffner Sr. in 1953, it's considered the county's oldest active gun range. It's a members-only range with a special emphasis on safety, and those interested in visiting should call first (615-406-9041).
Though the blasts of muzzle-loaders and other firearms have reverberated for much of Haffner's life, they certainly haven't affected his ear for music. His "softer side"   a side that can be sensed through his fluffy white beard and a mane to match   comes through in his lulling singing voice and easy guitar strumming. He got his musical vibes from his maternal grandfather, Eugene Bagsby, and his uncle Russell Jackson, who in their time were highly skilled banjo and guitar pickers respectively.
He may not be in the lineup for Bonnaroo, and he has never recorded an album, but Haffner can hush an audience with the ballads he plays   whether they're spiritual standards he plays in a church or classics by the likes of Jim Reeves, Hank Williams or Eddie Arnold at his regular gig at Morning Pointe.
Haffner's musical skills have been passed down to his son, Henry Haffner, who is assistant music director at Parish Presbyterian Church in Franklin as well as a teacher at Middle Tennessee State University and New College Franklin. A graduate of Vanderbilt University who received his Master of Music degree at the University of Cincinnati's College-Conservatory of Music, Henry Haffner is also principal violist of the Lexington (Ky.) Philharmonic Orchestra.
"He's the real musician of the family," Haffner says of his son. "I play at it, but he's good at it."

Link Posted: 7/7/2022 9:34:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Charlie!!!
Good to know he's doing well.  Haven't been to his range in a while.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 10:28:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Love that dude. Coached me up pistol shooting when I was a pup. Glad to see he’s doing well
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 5:14:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow. Didn't know he was still around. I use to belong to the Owl Hollow range when I lived in Murfreesboro.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top