Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2020 3:37:58 PM EDT
Copied from Reddit.

Narrowing this down to the mag ban and CPL training which have a chance of passage. We need FOUR democratic senators to guarantee none of this passes! We currently have Takko, Hobbs and Mullet on our side with Van De Wege leaning! If you have time for nothing else please call your reps and these folks! You should still call everyone, including those "committed" to us, because representatives can flip flop.

If you are in the district of one of these reps please make it clear that you're a constituent, if you are not a constituent you should still call but be honest about where you're from. If you shop or spend time in their district tell them, and explain the merits of your views and how their votes will effect you.

Bills to mention are HB 2240/SB 6077 (standard capacity mag ban) and SB 6294 (increased cost and requirements to obtain CPL).

TALKING POINTS FOR MAG BAN:

The 15 round "compromise" is NOT acceptable and JUST AS BAD as 10! You have to mention this! (Please comment on the updated bill HERE https://app.leg.wa.gov/pbc/bill/2240)

Essentially all modern firearms use >10 round magazines.

WA has no systems in place whatsoever to register existing magazines.

Owners have to PROVE that they owned the magazines before the ban, which is impossible and essentially criminalizes 10s of thousands of WA gun owners.

Washington state law enforcement mass shootings work group explicitly DID NOT recommend a mag ban or AWB.

CA ban is being challenged in the 9th circuit in April, why pass a law that has at least a ~50% chance of being immediate struck down during a short session when time is crucial? There are more important bills.

TALKING POINTS FOR CCW TRAINING:

CCW holders are extremely law abiding and even less likely to commit a violent crime than police officers. Washington has had its CCW system since the 1950s without issue.

The training costs disproportionately effect low income residents who are more likely to have need for a CCW license.

Standards of training and teaching are unclear, how will the WSP certify trainers and with what funding?

SENATOR PHONE NUMBERS (ordered by priority):

Sen. Kevin Van de Wege (24th District) (360) 786-7646 [Absolute TOP priority is VDW!]

Sen. Steve Hobbs (44th District) (360) 786-7686 [Also leaning towards us]

Sen. Annette Cleveland (49th District) (360) 786-7696

Rep. Frank Chopp (43rd District) (360) 786-7920

Sen. Emily Randall (26th District) (360) 786-7650 [Randall won her seat by 70 votes, don't let her forget]

Sen. Mona Das (47th District) (360) 786-7692

Sen. Claire Wilson (30th District) (360) 786-7658

Sen. Andy Billig (3rd District) (360) 786-7604

Sen. Steve Conway (29th District) (360) 786-7656 [Keep the pressure on even if they're "committed"!]

Sen. Mark Mullet (5th District) (360) 786-7608 [Keep the pressure on even if they're "committed"!]

Sen. Dean Takko (19th District) (360) 786-7636 [Keep the pressure on even if they're "committed"!]

Rep. Laurie Jinkins (Speaker of the House) (360) 786-7930 [Ask her not to call these bills for floor votes]

SENATOR EMAILS (email one and BCC all others, semi-colons good to go for pasting into email, no reason not to email EVERYONE but consider sending an individually addressed message to VDW or your rep, if you're a constituent mention it!):

To: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]

From what I've heard personally calling we are STRONGLY swaying Conway, Takko and Mullet. We need ONE more! Please call and email right now! Call every senator on this list, hugely important.

We ARE making an impact. When you call or email, at this point, please say you live in their district or have recently moved there. Be polite but make good points as highlighted above and make it crystal clear this will cost them your vote and that of many, many others. They need to get hundreds of calls today. Tell others.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 4:45:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Never mind - I am a spaz.

The house bill was amended during the executive session 31 January.  The amended bill was officially read in yesterday.  I saw the 05 Feb date and failed to recall the 31 Jan executive session.

The bills in each chamber are still not aligned.

It’s been a crazy week at work.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 5:59:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Holy shit the House amended 2240 yesterday to 15 rounds thus bringing it back to parity with SB6077!!

The disparity was preventing both bills from moving forward.

HB 2240 amended 05 Feb 2020

HUGE thanks for posting this @Boatswain!!!  This is very concerning!
View Quote
Wait, I thought HB 2240 was 15 while SB 6077 was 10.

I have to go to a meeting now otherwise I would check myself.

ETA:  Just checked.  Yes, SB6077 is still 10 rounds.

Ah, I see your edit now.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 6:26:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Wait, I thought HB 2240 was 15 while SB 6077 was 10.

I have to go to a meeting now otherwise I would check myself.

ETA:  Just checked.  Yes, SB6077 is still 10 rounds.

Ah, I see your edit now.
View Quote
Unfortunately I am a linear thinker and I really shouldn’t attempt to multitask.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 7:23:33 PM EDT
[#4]
So the mag ban bill is still full steam ahead, but now 15rds?
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 7:41:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
The House amended it to 15 or less rounds
The Senate still has it at 10 or less rounds

If these do not match it cannot be passed onto the Governor to sign (a good thing!)

If they don't get them to match before the cutoff date the bill will die for this year.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 2:06:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Yous fuckin guys are gonna give me a stroke!!

Did my daily check-in on FB "Washington 2020 Legislative Action Group" and saw the headline, then came here immediately to verify whether true or not......
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 7:44:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I totally own that FUBAR.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 8:59:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If these do not match it cannot be passed onto the Governor to sign (a good thing!)

If they don't get them to match before the cutoff date the bill will die for this year.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, ok. Thanks. One of the updates confused me. Sounded like they were now aligned.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 2:22:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I totally own that FUBAR.
View Quote

You are now forgiven
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 3:02:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a suspicion there are a couple democrats that wouldn't actually vote this way as it would hurt their reelection chances and possibly party funding for doing so, but are trying to keep the house and senate bills different to prevent this from moving forward... Keep the pressure on, we need to keep these bills from matching and the votes short!
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 5:06:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a suspicion there are a couple democrats that wouldn't actually vote this way as it would hurt their reelection chances and possibly party funding for doing so, but are trying to keep the house and senate bills different to prevent this from moving forward... Keep the pressure on, we need to keep these bills from matching and the votes short!
View Quote
That is my hope as well.
Maybe a round of emails to the Senate pleading them to keep it at 10 rounds, force them to run out of time?
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 7:16:49 PM EDT
[#12]
If I understand the process correctly, they have until February 19 to schedule a floor vote in each house, right?
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 7:20:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If I understand the process correctly, they have until February 19 to schedule a floor vote in each house, right?
View Quote
Yes, but opposite house bills can go to March 6th...
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 3:34:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Bump for everyone who hasn't called yet to oppose the mag ban.

If you call just one person, call Sen. Kevin Van de Wege (24th District) (360) 786-7646.

I did, spoke to his staffer, they are getting a lot of calls. Apparently they assumed it was from an NRA mailer or somesuch.

KEEP THE PRESSURE ON!
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 3:39:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I did, spoke to his staffer, they are getting a lot of calls.
View Quote
HA! Bet theyre just saying that
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 3:56:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Here is a copy of the email that I have sent.  I change "Senators" to "Representatives" and "SB 6077" to "HB 2240" depending on the chamber I am writing to.  Feel free to copy, plagiarize, modify, criticize at will.

Dear Senators,

I am writing you today to respectfully ask that you oppose SB 6077 relating to high capacity magazines. This bill is in direct conflict with a 2018 Federal District Court ruling (Duncan vs Becerra, CA 2018).

U.S. District Judge Benitez granted summary judgment against the State of California, saying the “high-capacity magazine ban must not be enforced.”

In the event SB 6077 (and its House companion SHB 2240) were to be passed into law, I am confident that a lawsuit would be filed almost immediately in order to challenge.  Right now, the lawsuit against Initiative 1639 *is* progressing in Federal court, funded by over $130,000.00 in small donations raised through GoFundMe.  Do you want to be on the official roll call of a bill that will likely end up costing Washington taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars to defend yet with very little chance of succeeding?

Anti-gun legislation is *not* as popular as some would try and lead you to believe.  More and more law-abiding Washington gun owners are beginning to become aware and active politically.  If I were a law maker dependent on reelection, I would not want to be on the wrong side of the gun control debate.

The best course of action is to just let SB 6077, along with any other anti-gun legislation, not receive a floor vote thus no one has to go on the official roll call.

Thank you for taking the time to consider my opposition to SB 6077 and all other anti-gun legislation.

Sincerely,

2DT

Keep that pressure UP!!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:42:53 PM EDT
[#17]
^^ Excellent fact-based correspondence.

You can bet they have they are monitoring this very closely, and if they think they can sneak it through in some 11th-hour, under-the-table deal, they will.

And don't forget to send your support to those that are supporting us!

Don't let off the gas folks...email, call, repeat.  Tell your friends.

Boss
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 6:01:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Floor vote on HB 2240 tentatively  scheduled for Sunday!
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 8:20:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Look like 6294/1315 is still not scheduled for the floor in either house, if we can get through Wednesday that ones dead.

The big ones this year looks like this mag ban and the child care gun free zone. No mag ban on the senate calendar yet, if the house bill can be delayed past Wednesday it's dead (looks unlikely at this point).

Might be worth a round of emails to the dem house members about the mag ban today, but with their numbers makes it unlikely to matter.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:58:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Look like 6294/1315 is still not scheduled for the floor in either house, if we can get through Wednesday that ones dead.

The big ones this year looks like this mag ban and the child care gun free zone. No mag ban on the senate calendar yet, if the house bill can be delayed past Wednesday it's dead (looks unlikely at this point).

Might be worth a round of emails to the dem house members about the mag ban today, but with their numbers makes it unlikely to matter.
View Quote
Quick and easy link from NRA-ILA:  NO on HB 2240
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 11:15:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Bad wording on my part.

NRA-ILA has intel that house democrats will attempt put it on the agenda and call for a vote on Sunday.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 11:25:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Bad wording on my part.

NRA-ILA has intel that house democrats will attempt put it on the agenda and call for a vote on Sunday.
View Quote
Not bad wording at all!

Keep those lines of communication with your reps hoppin' 'n' poppin' everyone!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top