Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2022 1:29:47 PM EDT
It is GREAT!

It is not a lot.

It is not enough.

It is a joy to hear it and have it.

I read the State-wide average reservoir capacity is only 69% of normal and another dry winter is expected.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#1]
We got a tiny bit more today.

Link Posted: 10/16/2022 9:45:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I want rain... Bring snow also...
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 10:02:45 PM EDT
[#3]
We got some more!  Wah hoo!
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 12:04:42 PM EDT
[#4]
We got just shy of 2 inches of rain from this las storm, not a bad way to start November. Hope it keeps coming!
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 4:52:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Based on informal trash can measures, we got a couple of inches.  We just transitioned to a new trash hauler service.  The new one flips the bins faster so they almost always end up with the lids open.  So had roughly 4" in them this morning.  But they are tapered and fit around the wheels at the bottom so not actually 4" fell.  They are upside down drying now.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 2:40:23 PM EDT
[#6]
We have a gotten a lot of rain in the last week or so.

"Atmospheric river", "bomb cyclone", "pineapple express", these are all the terms being used to hype the otherwise normal weather pattern we are in (tropical moisture coming in off the Pacific).

If we are lucky enough to have several of these systems develop, we will be in good shape water-wise.

This web site has a lot of good historical data on rainfall.  It provides some perspective on what we can expect for variability in our rainfall and water supply.  

Our leaders should be planning for more and more storage (greater supplies) as the State's population has grown and continues to grow.

Link to LA Almanac
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 2:30:53 AM EDT
[#7]
It just needs to get colder in the mountains for some good skiing/snowboarding.

I went up to Wrightwood Friday and it was a mad house with all of the people parked on the side of highway 2 playing in the ice.

I took one run at Mountain High and left.  Too busy to be enjoyable.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 2:16:06 PM EDT
[#8]
We are getting rain.  That is a HUGE benefit and I cannot say anything bad about that.  

Keep it coming!

The storms' tropical origin means they are relatively warm which is bad for skiing/snowboarding.  :-(

We've been watching conditions locally.  It does seem too wet to bother investing the time and money to go ($100 lift tickets).

Mammoth has 12' at Main Lodge and it's still snowing with blizzard conditions.  They are just too far away given our time constraints and the cost is double ($200 lift tickets).
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 11:36:47 PM EDT
[#9]
We're wet but not much rain yet.  Friends closer to the mountains have reported a lot more rain recently than we got.  Central Coast, Ventura north seems like they are getting hammered, lots of road problems.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:50:14 AM EDT
[#10]
It rained for over 12 hours straight in the high desert yesterday.

Most of the time it was moderate but then it would be intense enough to flood some streets.

If it would get colder, we could have some snow.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 2:05:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We're wet but not much rain yet.  Friends closer to the mountains have reported a lot more rain recently than we got.  Central Coast, Ventura north seems like they are getting hammered, lots of road problems.
View Quote

Lots of issues in Ventura and Santa Barbara. The 101 was shutdown for a while, but it’s back open for now. Will see what happens with the storm that’s supposed to hit this weekend.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:15:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm working out of state right now but apparently at home it had rained 10" just by the early evening yesterday. I wonder what the total rain ended up being for the day. It hasn't rained like that or anything close in over a decade in my area, probably longer.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 4:36:26 PM EDT
[#13]
The governor, says four more storms are coming for us.  He talks about them like they are a bad thing.  

We NEED the rain and snow.

People need to have prepared for the rain we all knew would eventually come.

Speaking of weather forecasters, we were all told this was going to be another very dry, "La Nina" winter.  The various weather forecasting companies who dominate the news media markets are not worth a shit.  

They should just show us the satellite imagery and be done with it.

Bring back Dr. George Fischbeck - he always got it right.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 7:59:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Ha ha, my dad always call him fishbait.

You could tell he was a alcoholic, probably why he was so good at his job.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 6:14:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Raining from Long Beach to Palm Springs.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 1:39:35 AM EDT
[#16]
We had a solid day of rain, today, quite heavy at times.

I heard an interesting factoid on the news.  

They said the soil was 60% to 100% saturated with water.  The soil has absorbed all it can hold.  With that level of saturation, any/all additional rain that falls in a watershed area would go into storage.  

When the soil is dry, runoff is reduced because the soil absorbs at least some, maybe all, of the water.  That parasitic process is over (for now).  

BRING ON THE RAIN!
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 5:46:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I found this video report/interview very, very interesting.  It was not because of what they said, but what they didn't say.  Read between the lines.

Link to ABC7

Points of interest -

Pyramid Lake, so very visible to everyone who drives on I-5 north of LA, is purposefully being kept low.  It could easily hold a lot more water.

They need people to see the low water level to reinforce the need to conserve.

Silverwood Lake and Lake Elsinore are at 100% of capacity.

Silverwood has had to have water released it is so full.

Castaic Lake, also prominently on display to those on I-5, is and has been held at 60% capacity to allow seismic retrofitting.

Not because of drought or any other reason.  It also makes for good drought propaganda.  

Oroville Dam is about to spill over its top again.

To me, this history means they need more storage up stream of Oroville.

One guy said (I kid you not), "We have to manage an extreme flood in the middle of an extreme drought."

This statement is perfect proof they are not managing anything.  If everything is extreme, you are a failed manager.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 9:23:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Wait until they say that they need to raise the cost of water!

Lying scum is all.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 1:56:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Here's an article I found more than a little interesting, as it somewhat aligns with my own thinking on this matter - the biggest water wasters are those in government who allow the water to simply run off to the Ocean.

“This land belongs to the wildlife, and humans are intruders. ... This is more than an ideology. It is the official state religion of California."

Link to article on American Greatness
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 2:31:58 AM EDT
[#20]
I just remembered this thread.  

Well, we finally got some RAIN this year.  The forecasters and prognosticators were totally wrong about this year.

As it stands, we have double the normal rainfall for the year.  The snow pack is steep and deep and may set a new record before the weather year ends.

Wrightwood got over 10 feet of snow so far.  Mammoth has gotten 618" of snow so far.  That's 52 FEET of snow, as tall as a five story building.

We could use more rain, bring it on!

Link Posted: 3/25/2023 8:38:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just remembered this thread.  

Well, we finally got some RAIN this year.  The forecasters and prognosticators were totally wrong about this year.

As it stands, we have double the normal rainfall for the year.  The snow pack is steep and deep and may set a new record before the weather year ends.

Wrightwood got over 10 feet of snow so far.  Mammoth has gotten 618" of snow so far.  That's 52 FEET of snow, as tall as a five story building.

We could use more rain, bring it on!

View Quote

I had to laugh when I saw your original post!
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 11:49:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I stumbled across this article while reading.  I thought it was good, offering a bigger picture of the drought as it sits for the entire western US.  

Link to article

Link Posted: 3/28/2023 1:00:23 AM EDT
[#23]
More rain coming in the next couple of days.

Link Posted: 4/4/2023 1:12:01 PM EDT
[#24]
California Snow Pack Among Highest Ever Recorded

I know the precipitation has caused a lot of trouble for many but the bigger picture is this is good news.

We can all breath a sigh a relief and get on with business and repairs.

Mammoth Mountain has 695" of snow at Main Lodge (58 feet).

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top