Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 3/5/2022 11:26:15 AM EDT
I’ve mentioned before we are planning to relocate to UT, specifically to the SCL/Provo area.

I’ll be the first to admit I’m a little paranoid about things. With everything going on I was wondering what the water situation looked like. Is there water available if the infrastructure goes down for a few days or is it all city water?

Around us we’re on city water but I know where plenty of springs and wells are located if need be. Wondering if there was something similar out there. Looking at pictures it looks more like a desert in some areas but maybe the satellite pictures are just from winter or dry season.

Otherwise I may need to triple my water preps.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 3:55:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4FishLimit] [#1]
Pretty much any of the major city centers and suburban areas along the Wasatch Front rely on city water.

If you're looking at horse property or a home with some acreage in those areas they will occasionally come with ag water/water rights.

That said, there are several large bodies of water where one could acquire water to filter at home if needed.

ETA:

Utah is very much a high desert, we've been in a drier drought cycle for the last few years, so many places have had watering restrictions for lawns for homes and businesses.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Might depend on where you are.  

I’m in the north eastern corner of Utah county.  

It’s been dry but we have plenty of wells the city pumps from.

The guy who manages the water lives on my street.  

We get as much run off from spring snow melt as we can and then it’s turn on the pumps.  

I think you’ll be fine.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 9:41:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AesopsWildBoar] [#3]
Sorry if I was a little vague. I have a job prospect which will likely see me out there this summer. Looking at the cedar hills/alpine area due to some of the good schools. Not sure we can afford that area though, not in this market with the housing prices higher than the Baltimore/DC area.

I really want at least 1/4 acre so we have enough yard and still space to garden, but space sure is a premium in most areas. It sure is beautiful out there though

Thanks for the replies, this was very helpful
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 8:16:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By medicmandan:
.25 acre lots are quickly disappearing with newer housing developments.  .10 seems to be the norm anymore.  Close enough you can reach out your window and hand your neighbor a cup of sugar.  

We opted for an older home 15 years ago to not only be a little closer to the interstate for commuting but to make sure we had enough space to do those same kinds of things.  We have a few garden boxes and a chicken coop and plenty of space for the dog to run around (and me to mow).
View Quote

Chickens?!? You can have chickens on .25 acres?!?
I really need to get out of MD!

Somewhat unrelated question, are there a lot of pools in SLC (southern suburbs)? We grew up going to a neighborhood pool and the only pools seem to be part of HOAs. I’m pretty sure I don’t want an HOA.

When looking at one area (virtually) our realities pointed out that the particular HOA has neighborhood gardens since you can’t garden on your own property. I thought he was joking at first.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 1:25:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 8:43:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Chickens were hard fought in my city.  Took me a year to get the ordinance passed.  Then I was on to bees.  Sadly my first hive didn't make it through their first winter.  

We have two outdoor community pools and one indoor in my city of 120K.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AesopsWildBoar:

Chickens?!? You can have chickens on .25 acres?!?
I really need to get out of MD!

Somewhat unrelated question, are there a lot of pools in SLC (southern suburbs)? We grew up going to a neighborhood pool and the only pools seem to be part of HOAs. I’m pretty sure I don’t want an HOA.

When looking at one area (virtually) our realities pointed out that the particular HOA has neighborhood gardens since you can’t garden on your own property. I thought he was joking at first.

Chickens were hard fought in my city.  Took me a year to get the ordinance passed.  Then I was on to bees.  Sadly my first hive didn't make it through their first winter.  

We have two outdoor community pools and one indoor in my city of 120K.

That about matches with the scarcity I’m seeing with pools
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Water is definitely something you will need contingencies for. Salt Lake/Provo are is still considered “high desert” and almost every tree in the valley is planted/irrigated to get established. The summers are warm and long enough to make owning a pool worth while and is something you can easily do on a .25 acre lot and still have room for chickens and a decent  garden. That is exactly what I’m doing at my place.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Shenanagins:
Water is definitely something you will need contingencies for. Salt Lake/Provo are is still considered “high desert” and almost every tree in the valley is planted/irrigated to get established. The summers are warm and long enough to make owning a pool worth while and is something you can easily do on a .25 acre lot and still have room for chickens and a decent  garden. That is exactly what I’m doing at my place.
View Quote

Thanks! That about succinctly covers my concerns! Biggest problem will be affording the .25 acre lot in this economy… haha
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 8:12:27 PM EDT
[#10]
We’re here in SLC. Cottonwood heights. Walking the dogs I see a house for sale and checked it out. 900,000$ on a small lot. Our similar home in Wi is on a half acre lot, and we’re building a new home on 5+ acres out of the city. Crazy prices here.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top