Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2018 8:02:31 PM EDT
Considered putting this in the NFA section...but figured with the Washington angle this would be a better place.

My Form 1 for an RPG-7 has been returned today. Submitted thru Silencer Shop....and the Section 4j wasn't filled out (Indicate Firearm or Explosive)...easy enough.

But...also the approver states "I must provide or reference the State Law that allows destructive devices in the state of WA". I've looked. I know DD's are legal. Any help please? I have until December 28th to respond.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:29:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I have no helpful advice other than to comment, isn't it the ATF's job to know the laws state by state? In addition to that, if it isn't prohibited, doesn't that mean that it's allowed?
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:32:43 PM EDT
[#2]
That's my problem. Can't find any laws saying I "can" or "can't" own a DD. I've seen other DD's at the range before with Washington State owners.

Guess I'll call him this week and say just that politely. No laws against owning DD's in Washington. Hopefully that will work.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:52:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Contact your sheriffs office if you’re not in a liberal county? They may be able to provide an RCW or letter or something.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 12:04:48 AM EDT
[#4]
RCW 9.41.220
Unlawful firearms and parts contraband. (Effective July 1, 2019.)
All machine guns, bump-fire stocks, short-barreled shotguns, or short-barreled rifles, or any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or in converting a weapon into a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, illegally held or illegally possessed are hereby declared to be contraband, and it shall be the duty of all peace officers, and/or any officer or member of the armed forces of the United States or the state of Washington, to seize said machine gun, bump-fire stock, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or parts thereof, wherever and whenever found.

No mention of Destructive Devices ………...
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 12:13:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
RCW 9.41.220
All machine guns, bump-fire stocks, short-barreled shotguns, or short-barreled rifles, or any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or in converting a weapon into a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, illegally held or illegally possessed are hereby declared to be contraband, and it shall be the duty of all peace officers, and/or any officer or member of the armed forces of the United States or the state of Washington, to seize said machine gun, bump-fire stock, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or parts thereof, wherever and whenever found.

No mention of Destructive Devices ………...
View Quote
Uh wut?

Does this make SBRs illegal again in WA?

Was that snuck into 1639?
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 12:19:46 AM EDT
[#6]
There is another section saying there is an exception if SBR is legal under Federal law.

Don't know why they didn't clean that up.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 5:10:57 AM EDT
[#7]
@OP - Are you considering this a firearm or an explosive?
Also, what county do you live in?

As for I 1639 changes, SBRs are still safe -

RCW 9.41.190
Unlawful firearms—Exceptions. (Effective July 1, 2019.)
(2) It is not unlawful for a person to manufacture, own, buy, sell, loan, furnish, transport, assemble, or repair, or have in possession or under control, a short-barreled rifle, or any part designed or intended solely and exclusively for use in a short-barreled rifle or in converting a weapon into a short-barreled rifle, if the person is in compliance with applicable federal law.

RCW 9.41.220
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 12:31:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Considered putting this in the NFA section...but figured with the Washington angle this would be a better place.

My Form 1 for an RPG-7 has been returned today. Submitted thru Silencer Shop....and the Section 4j wasn't filled out (Indicate Firearm or Explosive)...easy enough.

But...also the approver states "I must provide or reference the State Law that allows destructive devices in the state of WA". I've looked. I know DD's are legal. Any help please? I have until December 28th to respond.
View Quote
Washington State Constitution
ARTICLE I
DECLARATION OF RIGHTS
SECTION 24 RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men.

It is a perfectly fine weapon for defense of self or the state.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 12:34:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

As for I 1639 changes, SBRs are still safe -

RCW 9.41.190
Unlawful firearms—Exceptions. (Effective July 1, 2019.)
(2) It is not unlawful for a person to manufacture, own, buy, sell, loan, furnish, transport, assemble, or repair, or have in possession or under control, a short-barreled rifle, or any part designed or intended solely and exclusively for use in a short-barreled rifle or in converting a weapon into a short-barreled rifle, if the person is in compliance with applicable federal law.

RCW 9.41.220
View Quote
illegally held or illegally possessed  So if I go through the federal paperwork for the above listed items, isn't that legally held under federal law, thus not in violation of state law.

Did they "accidentally" legalize FA, & SBS?
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 12:50:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

illegally held or illegally possessed  So if I go through the federal paperwork for the above listed items, isn't that legally held under federal law, thus not in violation of state law.

Did they "accidentally" legalize FA, & SBS?
View Quote
Go back and read 9.41.190 (1)(a)

The exemption in (2) only applies to SBRs
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 4:09:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Firearm. Bulgarian RPG-7.

I have one of the subcal 7.62x39 Vlozna Hlaven 7 (VH7) rocket inserts to use with the launcher.

Clark County.

Someone here has to have dealt with this. I know there are DD owners in Washington. Any M203 owners have to site law that says DDs are "legal"?

If I can't site a specific section of the RCW that says I can own DD's, will they deny me?
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 4:30:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Firearm. Bulgarian RPG-7.

I have one of the subcal 7.62x39 Vlozna Hlaven 7 (VH7) rocket inserts to use with the launcher.

Clark County.

Someone here has to have dealt with this. I know there are DD owners in Washington. Any M203 owners have to site law that says DDs are "legal"?

If I can't site a specific section of the RCW that says I can own DD's, will they deny me?
View Quote
Unfortunately not. I got my M203 back in 2012 and didn't have any issues getting my stamp. That being said, it was on a form 4 and not a form 1.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:36:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Ive sold a few grenade launchers and a mortar without issue, but all sold on a form 3/4. I'd just put in there "no rcw banning destructive devices" or something they are the ones who are going to double check.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:10:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm waiting on a form 1 for an M203 but it's stuck in the silencer shop mess

Supposedly that part will be figured out in the next week
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 4:56:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
I went the same route. Silencer Shop Form 1. Didn't give the option/chance to fill out 4j (indicating if it is a firearm or explosive)….which opened this whole can of worms.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:14:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
What's the Silencer Shop mess?  Is that specific to Form 1's, or the issue where the NFA branch decided to no longer accept "delegated signatures" on applications?  Other than a few applications getting hung in the "pending FBI check", I've not had any issues with SS-generated applications.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 1:38:23 AM EDT
[#18]
I thought I read somewhere that Washington has British style common law. Meaning that if it isn't specifically mentioned, it isn't prohibited.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 1:58:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I thought I read somewhere that Washington has British style common law. Meaning that if it isn't specifically mentioned, it isn't prohibited.
View Quote
That's literally the law everywhere. If something isn't specifically illegal then it's legal
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:55:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What's the Silencer Shop mess?  Is that specific to Form 1's, or the issue where the NFA branch decided to no longer accept "delegated signatures" on applications?  Other than a few applications getting hung in the "pending FBI check", I've not had any issues with SS-generated applications.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm dealing with a SS form 4 from their kiosk and it's been a nightmare.  Still "pending FBI check."  It's close to 400 days now.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 2:34:57 AM EDT
[#21]
FBI check is a different mess

The SS mess is that the ATF is disapproving form 1s from SS because they aren't being submitted by the actual maker

Seems like there is a fix in the works. We will see how that plays out next week
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 2:40:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I went the same route. Silencer Shop Form 1. Didn't give the option/chance to fill out 4j (indicating if it is a firearm or explosive).which opened this whole can of worms.
View Quote
I reviewed the documents that they sent me... to review, and noticed that 4j wasn't filled out. I emailed them about it and never received a response

Monday is going to be an interesting conversation
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top