Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2022 8:17:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: penrod72]
Last year the Rhode Island arfcom brethern helped me have a great trip to Middletown, now we are going June 10/11/12 to Warwick/ Providence. Staying at the Holiday Inn Express Airport, playing at Providence College, and a couple other local rinks. Looking for:
- localish gun shops
- decent pubs/ brewpubs/ dining and diners
- a lobster pound? (When I go to Maine, there is a place to buy lobster right off the boat, and they will steam them for you too).
- ham radio vhf/ uhf repeaters that are active? radio shops?
- Other stuff - the boys are mostly 15 year olds, plus random parents!

Link Posted: 6/2/2022 9:03:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sgwlower] [#1]
Fun shop: D&L Shooting supplies, by far the biggest in the state with fair prices and overall pretty great guys who run it. Also in the Warwick area is Heritage firearms, and Cranston Gun and Coin about 15 minutes away..

Pubs: Dave’s Bar and Grill, Shannon View Inn, Narragansett Brewery in Pvd is very cool with RI ‘s famous beer

Pizza: Antonio’s in PVD, Casertas, Scicilias all in PVD. In warwick, Dave’s Bar and grill does a good one.

Local Brewery: Proclomation Ale, Linesider brewing

Lobster: Chelos on the water, Harborside, 20 Water Street, Matunek Oyster Bar is a drive but good, Casarinos on Federal Hill., Twin Oaks is another famous Haunt with good drinks and food.

Stuff for 15 year olds…Launch Trampoline Park in warwick, Dave and Busters at Providence place mall. We also have a very impressive zoo if the kids are into Animals. Bunch of Movie theaters in the area as well.

Can’t help ya on the Radio stuff….@raf maybe able to help there.

Also heads up we are facing some incredibly tough in control being driven down our throat….gun shops are interesting at the moment as there are a lot of unknowns.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:42:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#2]
John's Army Surplus, 1800 Post Rd Warwick, RI 02886; it's a plaza near the airport in between some of the gun shops mentioned above.  401 738 8735

RIARRL: https://www.arrl.org/Groups/view/rhode-island

Suggest avoiding Trinity Brewhouse, and the Hot Club, both in Providence, as they are owned by RI State Senator Josh Miller, a notorious anti-gunner.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 1:16:29 PM EDT
[#3]
keep the suggestions coming, and thanks for the heads up on the brewhouse to avoid.

Interesting the first comment on gun control in RI - coming from NY at least you all have a chance to fight yours. Boom - 10 new laws just passed here.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 5:47:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: millertime23] [#4]
Same with revival brewing (avoid owned by Josh Miller). May I suggest going for a little drive to Wakefield to check out whalers. Good beer, good location and owned by a former marine vet who is a great guy.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By raf:
John's Army Surplus, 1800 Post Rd Warwick, RI 02886; it's a plaza near the airport in between some of the gun shops mentioned above.  401 738 8735

Suggest avoiding Trinity Brewhouse in Providence, as it is owned by RI State Senator Josh Miller, a notorious anti-gunner.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 5:54:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By millertime23:
Same with revival brewing (avoid owned by Josh Miller). May I suggest going for a little drive to Wakefield to check out whalers. Good beer, good location and owned by a former marine vet who is a great guy.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Suggest avoiding Trinity Brewhouse in Providence, as it is owned by RI State Senator Josh Miller, a notorious anti-gunner.

I knew that Sen. Josh Miller, anti-gunner, owned more than one bar/restaurant.  Suggest we compile a list of verified venues so as to avoid them.

IIRC, Josh Miller's bars/restaurants had to withstand multiple, nearly simultaneous negative "Yelp" comments in the past, and he whined about it and got them expunged.  Miller got them al expunged because the negative reviews came in a "bundle" and were deemed "connected".

Now, far be it for me to suggest posting a false and negative "Yelp" comment in regard to a dedicated Anti-gunner's bar/restaurant.

Not at all suggesting that, whatsoever.

But those of you who might have occasion to review Josh Miller's bars/restaurants might well consider how you phrase your reviews, especially on "Yelp".

Your call on how you all independently review this dedicated Anti-Gunner's businesses.

Link Posted: 6/6/2022 6:44:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Ill compile a list tonight but I'm fairly certain anything connected with Sean larkin (revival brewer, former trinity Brewer) is tied to Josh Miller financially. Shame because they made some good beer in the past. There are some establishments that are incredibly pro2a. One of the former well known bars I worked at provided memberships at a local shooting range for it's employees. That was a nice perk.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 8:20:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Ill compile a list tonight but I'm fairly certain anything connected with Sean larkin (revival brewer, former trinity Brewer) is tied to Josh Miller financially. Shame because they made some good beer in the past. There are some establishments that are incredibly pro2a. One of the former well known bars I worked at provided memberships at a local shooting range for it's employees. That was a nice perk.
View Quote
An accurate list of Miller's places would be handy so we can avoid them.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 1:27:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DrVenkman87] [#8]
He also owns

Local 121

Link Posted: 6/6/2022 2:54:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By DrVenkman87:
He also owns

Local 121

View Quote
Unless I am greatly mistaken, he used to own it, but he decided to forego renewing his lease, and someone else owns it now.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 3:08:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Local 121 closed years ago I believe. Hes listed as one of the founders/owners of Hot Club in Providence if anyone goes there.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 7:29:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Midstate Guns in Coventry isn’t far from where you’ll be and is a great open to the public indoor range
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 11:04:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JRCmx] [#12]
An accurate list of Miller's places would be handy so we can avoid them.
View Quote

I promise I will not patronage any of his establishments.  

Seekonk is 20 min north of Warwick.
Seekonk Grand Prix, go-karts, arcade, & much more.
Seekonk Speedway Sat night racing.
R1 Indoor race karts in Lincoln.

My advice is to stay away from the Prov. Place Mall. I lived 5 mins from the place and forbade my wife from going there. Multiple murders and robberies (that were reported).
Had a female acquittance brandish her handgun to prevent a robbery in the garage.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 11:18:40 AM EDT
[#13]
according to this article, he own's: https://www.providencejournal.com/story/news/politics/2020/03/12/virus-forces-ri-lawmaker-to-lay-off-workers-at-his-restaurant/1534131007/
he did own local 121, but that closed a few years back.

Hot Club
Trinity Brewhouse
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 11:24:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hamel] [#14]
OP

You can get lobster off the boat at Galilee in Narragansett (Block Island Ferry departure). Blount in Warren RI has great seafood, especially lobster rolls. Dune Brothers is a small clam shack in Downtown Providence, only outdoor seating. Ridiculously good clam cakes, chowder, lobster rolls. Don't depend on them for dinner though, they tend to sell out in late afternoon.

Gun stores: D&L in Warwick-expensive but large selection. Heritage Gun and Coin in W. Warwick.

Fun places to grab a drink: Ogie's Trailer park (Bar with outdoor patio built to look like trailer park). Bayberry beer hall. the Guild PVD is a food truck but only serves draft beers and is all outdoors (google, its by the new pedestrian bridge and also close to Dune Brothers).  i think Narragansett brewery opened up their beer garden in providence also.

Newport is always a good option to do touristy things, shop or day drink.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 6:51:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the input, and the places to avoid!
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 8:07:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Hamel:
according to this article, he own's: https://www.providencejournal.com/story/news/politics/2020/03/12/virus-forces-ri-lawmaker-to-lay-off-workers-at-his-restaurant/1534131007/
he did own local 121, but that closed a few years back.

Hot Club
Trinity Brewhouse
View Quote
From a very recent news article, I believe the above is correct.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top