Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2021 2:28:55 PM EDT
I owe a magazine to someone out of state.
It will be deducted off of my Declaration HiCap Appendix A form that was filed back in 2013 before the cutoff.
Plenty of inventory, not worried about giving away one magazine.
Am I required to pay an ffl to handle that?
Or Can I simply call DPS to handle the inventory change and mail it myself in a flat rate shipping envelope?

Though about posting in the IsItLegal? thread but it may be an echo chamber there lately.

Thank you for your consideration.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 2:54:43 PM EDT
[#1]
1. Who cares? It's leaving. If you get in trouble for having one less magazine than you declared, or if they ever even come to your door to check, you have MUCH bigger issues.
2. Mail it yourself.

I am not a lawyer but it's not rocket science.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 3:40:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Im with ^him^. The gestapo isn't going to be mad you're minus 1 evil mag (CT law doesn't care). Send it ;)
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 5:28:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Our Overlords have decreed you can't acquire them and that you had to declare them. Beyond that there are no rules, requirements or laws.

As far as their data base goes, the government can't do anything correctly or efficiently. Don't poke the hornets nest, don't help them, screw them! Plus one of the idiots thought magazines were going to go away as they were emptied. With that legislator's logic they all must be gone by now!
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 5:41:27 PM EDT
[#4]
The magazines were not registered, just declared. There is no mechanism or anything in the law for removing them from your declaration. Sell away!
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 6:21:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It will be deducted off of my Declaration HiCap Appendix A form that was filed back in 2013 before the cutoff.
View Quote

Why? The statutes make no mention of contacting the state to remove declared magazines. For all they know you took the magazine out of state to a summer home, family member's home, etc.

Quoted:
Am I required to pay an ffl to handle that?
View Quote

If moving the magazine out of state, no. Really the only thing mentioned in the statute is turning a magazine into an FFL or an FFL selling one to an exempted person. Otherwise, for moving or selling out of state either; drive it out of state and make the handoff, or mail it to the out of state person. Generally the two statute dealing with large capacity magazines deal with in state residents or put the onus on the in state buyer.

Sec. 53-202w. Large capacity magazines. Definitions. Sale, transfer or possession prohibited. Exceptions.
Sec. 53-202x. Declaration of possession of large capacity magazine. Regulations.
DPS-416-C1 - FFL Large Capacity Magazine Transfer to Dealer
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 7:56:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Don’t ask don’t tell-
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 2:56:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok.
I may have made a false presumption based upon being in a couple different ffl locations where the employee happened to be calling in to notify dps of incoming mags from citizens.
But that perhaps doesn’t apply to my situation.
But that’s what it sounded like those calls were about.
Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 2:37:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ok.
I may have made a false presumption based upon being in a couple different ffl locations where the employee happened to be calling in to notify dps of incoming mags from citizens.
But that perhaps doesn’t apply to my situation.
But that’s what it sounded like those calls were about.
Thanks everyone.
View Quote

No reason for a dealer to call DPS when taking in a registered magazine. Just fill out the form and send it in with the DPS3.
If the magazine is not registered the dealer can not take it in.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 3:21:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If the magazine is not registered the dealer can not take it in.
View Quote

It would appear the stupid statue does indicate one can transfer a undeclared LCM to a licensed gun dealer. Is this not the case?

(d) Any person who moves into the state in lawful possession of a large capacity magazine shall, within ninety days, either render the large capacity magazine permanently inoperable, sell the large capacity magazine to a licensed gun dealer or remove the large capacity magazine from this state, except that any person who is a member of the military or naval forces of this state or of the United States, is in lawful possession of a large capacity magazine and has been transferred into the state after January 1, 2014, may, within ninety days of arriving in the state, apply to the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection to declare possession of such large capacity magazine.

(e) (1) If an owner of a large capacity magazine transfers the large capacity magazine to a licensed gun dealer, such dealer shall, at the time of delivery of the large capacity magazine, execute a certificate of transfer. For any transfer prior to January 1, 2014, the dealer shall provide to the Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection monthly reports, on such form as the commissioner prescribes, regarding the number of transfers that the dealer has accepted. For any transfer on or after January 1, 2014, the dealer shall cause the certificate of transfer to be mailed or delivered to the Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection. The certificate of transfer shall contain: (A) The date of sale or transfer; (B) the name and address of the seller or transferor and the licensed gun dealer, and their Social Security numbers or motor vehicle operator license numbers, if applicable; (C) the licensed gun dealer's federal firearms license number; and (D) a description of the large capacity magazine.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 9:16:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Does your friend live in a free state?  If so, just send him the money for the mag.  Or, drive to RI, buy another mag and send him that.  Why get rid of a mag you went through the trouble to register.

CT didn’t come up with any mechanism to do what you are looking to do, but is the kind of state to create a rule sometime in the future to fu@k you in the A$$ for doing what you want to do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top