Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2020 10:13:06 PM EDT
I know, I know..... Idaho sucks, don't go there!

Looking to move to ID from Tampa, FL. Looking at Burley or Rexburg. Wife is stay at home mom for our 5 year old son. I work in Installation and Maintenance of large Public Safety Radio Systems and travel around the world (but mostly North America), so an airport within a few hours is nice.

We are very tired of the heat, traffic, crowds, crime, political ideals, etc. Don't want to be in middle of no where, but not a packed neighborhood. So, a few acres would be optimal. Imagining like an edge of town kind of thing.

Share your input (good or bad).

Thank you, TampaTyron.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 11:15:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Idaho's a good choice however a few things to keep in mind.

It does get pretty hot during the summer(it's dry heat but since you said heat, I figured you should know).

Towns like Burley have virtually nothing to do in them so if your wife needs a place to take the kid to(park, trampoline park, community pool, etc). The reason is because it's a farming community. Rexburg is bigger than Burley but again, probably not much to do there as well. Also very cold during the winter as it sits at nearly 5,000 ft above elevation. Lastly, 95% of the population in Rexburg is LDS. As with any tight knit community that belongs to some sort of group, you may feel like an outsider. Just something to consider. My suggestion is to look into Twin Falls or even closer to Boise like Mountain Home or Emmett.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 12:18:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm partial to Burley since I live here.

It is hot in the summer and cold in the winter though.

Lots of outdoor recreational activities close by.  Two ski hills in an hours drive.  Camping, hunting, fishing in the area.

2 1/2 hours to Boise and 3 hours to SLC (although I avoid the place).

Any particular questions?

MitGSX97
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 10:14:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 1:49:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I lived in Burley for 10 years and my Mormon neighbors talked to me once or twice a year, but it's a great place to live if you like outdoor activities. There's a lot more winter in Rexburg.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 4:01:28 PM EDT
[#5]
A long drive to Boise airport from Burley or Rexburg isn't much fun in the winter if you aren't used to it. Plus Boise itself has become quite congested.

If you want quick access to flights, being close by Spokane International Airport isn't a bad alternative to Boise.

Coeur d'Alene is expensive but there are still deals to be found around Kootenai and Bonner counties. What's your budget OP?
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 9:11:40 PM EDT
[#6]
House budget is around $350k (expecting approx $100k from sale of home if market doesnt tank and people are still buying due to sickness). Hoping to move this year before school starts with a no-later-than date of next year before school starts.

We have lived in Billings, MT for a few years when I worked in the oilfield. So, snow shouldn't be a big shock (drove a in ND, MT,CO, and WY in oilfield) . Wife and kid go to Colorado (family in Boulder/Lyons area) a few times a year for vacation, they enjoy it except for the pot needles and extreme hippies everywhere.

Not confined to any region of the state, just need to be within 4 hours of an airport and have good internet (did not note that above). Hoping to have a few acres, but probably couldn't manage more than that with being on the road a bunch (assuming a bunch of land takes a bunch of upkeep).

As far as community, was hoping for a relatively open/welcoming community. Looks like I may need to steer clear of the hardcore strongholds (no offense, but the being an outsider and passive aggressive are things I would like to avoid).

Hoping for a Walmart/Target or equivalent within 45 minutes. Hoping for decent schools or private school option (can homeschool if needed). Am gun nut and radio nut, so locals who are similar would be nice but not required. Wife teaches yoga/pilates part time (very little income) and is writing childrens books at the moment. Not sure what there is for women to do socially......

Trying to think of more info to include. We are actively looking at everyone's suggestions, so please keep them coming. TT
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 12:56:40 AM EDT
[#7]
You want to be in North Idaho, Sandpoint area. 60 miles or so to Spokane.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 1:15:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Like I mentioned earlier, Emmett, Homedale, Parma, Greenleaf, Twin Falls, Mountain Home, etc would probably be your best bets when it comes to southern Idaho.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 9:16:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 12:25:34 PM EDT
[#10]
$350k is on the low side for Kootenai County if you want any acreage. You would have to go further north towards Bonner County. Sandpoint is great, it's also very expensive as it's a resort town. As ChevelleDave pointed out, short drive to Spokane Airport.

You can still find deals like this one on the Priest River in your price range, although that house probably needs some TLC.

If you aren't LDS and you want to socialize with people, you should take this map into account as well.

I doubt you'll be able to avoid pot needles here, Idaho is surrounded by pot states, the farmers are pushing hard to get hemp approved and I think there is something on this years ballot. The pot stores on the WA and OR border do a roaring trade with Idahoans.

Link Posted: 4/21/2020 4:59:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Salt Lake is closer to Rexburg and probably Burley than Spokane; it is a Delta hub, and there are several flights a day from IF and Pocatello.
View Quote

When I lived in Burley I would fly out of Twin Falls, another Delta hub.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 7:54:27 PM EDT
[#12]
What was your initial attraction to Rexburg??? (Mormon here and I wouldn't move there)

Link Posted: 4/21/2020 11:11:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What was your initial attraction to Rexburg??? (Mormon here and I wouldn't move there)

https://i.imgur.com/oZugG68.jpg
View Quote

Looks like anywhere Southern Idaho!!
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:07:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Mountain home isn't too bad.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 12:22:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Mountain home isn't too bad.
View Quote

Do you live on Base?
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 1:04:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Not anymore...retired. I live south of town.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top